1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finsbuck719's first 2012 Mock Off Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsbuck719, Jan 27, 2012.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I did this last year and I'll do it the same way this year. My first mock will be more of a wishful off season and my second mock will be closer to the draft and FA period and it will be more realistic.

Re-sign
    Kendall Langford. I think he has to be a priority. If we bring him back, that will give us one of the deepest interior defensive lines in the league. Langford, Starks, Odrick, and McDaniel. That makes me moist.

Chad Henne. jk. But, seriously though. I want Henne back :(

Steve Slaton. He wasn't awful in the limited time he played this year. Could just be a decent insurance back again for us.

Lydon Murtha. We need all the depth we can get on our offensive line.

Cuts
    Yeremiah Bell. I think this would have to be something we do after the draft, incase we aren't able to pick up Mark Barron. But, I have us drafting Barron and Bell is aging and simply costing too much to be a liability in coverage. Our secondary needs to improve.

Anthony Fasano. Scheduled to make $3.6mil in 2012. I like his run blocking ability and I think he is a decent enough receiver, but I think Philbin and Sherman are going to open up the passing game a ton. I also think they are going to look hard at receiving TEs in the draft and I could see Charles Clay playing more of a TE role next year.

Pat Devlin. Make room for Flynn and Osweiler.

Free Agent Signings
    QB, Matt Flynn. I kinda want it to happen and I kinda don't want it to happen. But, I think it will with Philbin at the helm. I still don't see us picking up Pey Pey.

OG, Ben Grubbs. I think he'll be a littler cheaper than Nicks, but if Baltimore resigns him I think we are SOL at guard for this year. Other than him and Nicks, I don't see anyone real special in FA and I don't like the prospects (other than DeCastro) in the draft.

OG, Bobbie Williams. I know he is old, but he has been great in pass blocking and that is what we need to improve on the most for our offense imo.

DE, Israel Idonije. I like this guy. You can never have too many pass rushers and I like his versatility. I think we can go with different looks on defense with him.

DE, Victor Abiamiri. We need more pass rushers!

TE, Martellus Bennett. I've always liked Marty B for some reason.

Trades
    Green Bay sends: James Jones
    Miami sends: 4th round pick, #104

----

Cincinnati sends: 1st round pick #17, 2nd round pick #53, 5th round pick #149 (I believe those are the right numbers)
    Miami sends: 1st round pick #8

---

Arizona sends: 4th round pick #112
    Miami sends: 5th round pick #136, 5th round pick #149 (fr. Cin)

Let me explain these three trades. Obviously Philbin has ties to the Packers and he will obviously make an attempt to snag a few players from GB. I saw someone mock this trade on a different site and it excited me. I've been wanting James Jones on the Dolphins for 2 years now. He'll help open up our offense and give us another playmaker on offense. Also, if pick up Matt Flynn, we will be adding some chemistry. In Flynn's only start this past season, James Jones had 6 catches that game (the most he had all season). Yes, Jennings was out. But still. Jones could come in and compete with Hartline for a #2 position, while Bess stays in the slot. Hartline as a #4 receiver could be dirty.

The second trade, I think, actually has some potential of happening. Cincy is thin in their secondary. They are losing every DB to FA basically, Leon Hall is coming off a season ending injury, and Nate Clements is like 47 years old. If we pick ahead of Carolina, I feel like the Bengals will want to make a move to take Dre Kirkpatrick ahead of them. Or, if Morris Claiborne were to fall (yes, I know a lot of people have him going top 5, but players fall every year and if he falls to us at 8 I can guarantee teams will be interested in moving up for him), they could want to move up for him. They also have 2 firsts, so losing a 2nd rounder isn't going to hurt them too much, and they have two 5ths, so losing one of those isn't going to hurt. (btw, I saw a similar trade to this on another site as well)

The third trade, would be if an OT prospect fell like Andrew Datko. I think we need to take an OT in the first 4 rounds if we can't get a decent one in FA.

Draft
    1.17 (Cin)- SS, Mark Barron. I love this guy. Seems to always be around the ball. Hard hitter. Played for a great defense in college. I just think he will be a huge upgrade to our secondary and he won't be a liability in coverage like the rest of our safeties seem to be every year. I know a lot of people want us to stick at 8 and take Coples, but this draft is loaded with pass rushing DEs. We can pick one up later. However, we aren't going to be able to pick up a decent safety later or in FA. I'm tired of drafting safeties real late and hoping they pan out when they never do.

2.42- TE, Coby Fleener. I've seen comparisons to Gronkowski already. Great size, great hands, and finds ways to get in the endzone. I like him and Ladarius Green a lot. If we don't take a TE early, I'd like to look at Green later.

2.53 (Cin)- DE, Vinny Curry. This guy has such a quick first step. Gets off the line so fast. I think he also may be able to transition into a 3-4 as an OLB when we do run some 3-4 looks.

3.73- QB, Brock Osweiler. I've seen him go as late as the 4th or 5th round and I've seen him go as early as the 2nd. Hopefully he falls to us in the 3rd round, because I would love to see him work in our WC offense.

4.112 (Ari)- OT, Andrew Datko. We're gonna need help at RT and hopefully Datko could be a solid replacement for Colombo. Anything is better than Colombo anyways, right?

6.168- CB, Greg McCoy. He's fast as hell and will help us on STs. I'd rather him be our PR/KR instead of Gates and Bess and let them two focus more on offense.

7.200- OLB, Demario Davis. ST player.

Depth Chart
    QB- Matt Flynn, Matt Moore, Brock Osweiler
    RB- Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas, Steve Slaton
    FB- Lex Hilliard
    WR- Brandon Marshall, James Jones, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Clyde Gates, Roberto Wallace
    TE- Coby Fleener, Charles Clay, Martellus Bennett
    LT- Jake Long, Lydon Murtha
    LG- Ben Grubbs, Ray Feinga
    C- Mike Pouncey, Richie Incognito
    RG- Richie Incognito, Bobbie Williams, John Jerry
    RT- Andrew Datko, Nate Garner

-----
    4-3 defense

LDE- Israel Idonije, Victor Abiamiri, Jared Odrick
    DT- Kendall Langford, Jared Odrick
    DT- Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel
    RDE- Cam Wake, Vinny Curry
    LOLB- Karlos Dansby, Demario Davis
    MLB- Koa Misi, Austin Spitler
    ROLB- Kevin Burnett
    CB- Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Greg McCoy
    FS- Chris Clemons, Tyrone Culver
    SS- Mark Barron, Reshad Jones

Thoughts?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow, you put a ton of time into that finsbuck.

I suspect the cap would prevent many of those Fa signings, also think Abrimari is injured to often for Ireland's tastes.

I'd like to see us add the GB Center Wells and move Pouncey to LG, would love the Jones pickup.

I suspect Aaron Maybin will be on the mkt, and Larry English, two guys who have lots of upside as passrushing DE's not so much as 3-4 OLB's.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You sign Henne just to cut him? That is cruel.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Now is this what you HOPE is going to happen or what you THINK is going to happen? Because if it's the former then I'll leave it alone because everyone has the right to hope for a better future for the Dolphin. However, if it's the latter, I fundamentally disagree with you on several aspects.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    What do you think and hope is going to happen?

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not if Ben Grubbs played like he did against Vince Wilfork last weekend.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't agree with cutting Fasano though. He's a good tight end.

8. ajimithing

ajimithing New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm putting together a mock offseason with a representative from each of the 32 NFL teams. Here's more info...let me know if you'd be interested.

We are holding a mock offseason with 32 representatives for each of the NFL teams. Need someone who is knowledgeable about schemes, what players fit your team's scheme, etc. We are attempting to make this as realistic as possible.

I'll need you to do the following - all while keeping your cap room in mind.

1) Resign your restricted free agents and potential unrestricted free agents. This includes tendering younger guys and using the Franchise/Transition Tag when applicable. I will send you all the rules for that.

2) After that period is over, I'll send out a list of all available Unrestricted Free Agents and you will be able to put in your highest offer for players you'd like your team to sign. Highest offer wins. This will probably be done in 5-6 different phases so you can fill up your roster.

3).I'll send out a list of what teams signed what free agents and then if I can get a representative for each team into a chat room we'll hold a draft where we can trade, select players, etc.

4).After the draft there will be 1 or 2 more free agent signing periods to plug up remaining holes.

I'm looking to finish all this stuff in under a week so I need someone who has constant access to their email.

First person to reply as interested will get the slot. Thanks!

9. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I dont see how you cut Fasano. He might be not be in the tier of Gates, Graham and those guys but he is definitely someone you can win with. I'd rather keep Fasano and then add someone like Fleener to go with him. I'd prefer picking up Evan Mathis to Grubbs right now. Mathis had the better year and would be a great pickup for us. No thank you to Datko too. Good enough player but those repeated shoulder injuries are only going to get worse.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah. Wilforkis was different player than now though.

11. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    How many guys are going to be able to contain Wilfork though? The man is as good as he wants to be...

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Now, yeah. Before, not really.

13. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The past doesn't really matter, now does it? :wink2:

14. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I know this is hopeful thinking, but are you really speculating draft day trades? How can you have any clue whats going to transpire come April?

Trowa likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It did in Aqua's post.

16. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    Don't forget that you also need an 88 mph cruising speed and 1 point twenty-one gigawatts of power!

17. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    We pay attention to Aqua?

18. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    and a DeLorean.

19. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    if you are talking about bold trades and bold picks , Remember that this is the dolphins front office here a different coach but we have had 5 coaches and bold trades and bold moves have not been used in the same sentance with the dolphins. I have no problem with any of the sugestions.

20. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    FA signings:
    Resign Solai. I'll be dammed if the Fins develop him and another team reaps the rewards!!!

I think Langford signs elsewhere unless we restructure some contracts.

Sign Flynn IF Philbin thinks it's the right move. Who better to make that decision than him?

Forget Manning. That's not happening with realistic time lines. He won't be healthy until some time AFTER the draft. I won't be surprised if he takes another year to get healthy.

Resign Henne on the cheap or draft a developmental QB prospect. I'm not expecting much from either. It's a roll of the dice in either case.

We have ~13 mil to spend this year under the cap. I don't see the Fins being able to afford more than 2 big FA's.

Draft:
    Rd 1: Trade back to early teens and draft Guard Decastro. I'm really warming up to this idea. The draft gurus think he's a can't miss pro bowl guard. He fills our 2nd biggest need by addressing the O-line. I'd let Jerry and Murtha battle it out for RT. We need to take a can't miss impact player. I have no problem with Irish playing it safe and taking the BPA with our 1st rd pick. I know many fans were moaning when we drafted Pouncey but at least he was a solid pick with the potential to be great.

Rd2: Draft Allen of Fleener. A pass catching TE would be huge for our offense.

Rd3-7: Draft the best available pass rushers for our D. We need to have a serious pass rush to beat the snot out of Brady if we're going to take the division from the Patsies.:az: You need to win the division before you can even start thinking about the SB.

There's no way in hell we're going to fix everything in 1 yr. We have too many holes but it could be worse. At least our roster isn't as pathetic as that 1-15 season!!! Sometimes I wonder if some of us have Alzheimer's and can't remember the moronic GMs we've had since JJ left. Irish is not great but he's a solid gm. At least he's FINALLY smart enough to realize getting a freakin QB is a major priority!!!