1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finsiders Drayton, Stradford & Madison Play "Buy / Sell" On Our Free Agents

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

So Stradford asked Troy and Sam to vote buy or sell on each free agent. This is what they had to say:

Starks: Both Buy
    Sean Smith: Drayton buys, but Sam hews-and-haws. Sam really isn't sure he buys Sean Smith. Interesting coming from a great former Dolphins Cornerback.
    Matt Moore: Two of them Sell, one Buys but all agree he will not get to start anywhere and is destined to be a career backup.
    McDaniels: Madison and Drayton Sell. Sam says he thinks Kheeston Randall can replace McD inside, but with less flexibility at DE, he wants to see Odrick move inside and have us draft a DE and also let Kaddu play rush DE on some third downs.
    Chris Clemons: They unenthusiastically say he was okay, then both vote to Sell.
    Anthony Fasano: Drayton Buys because of the injury with Charles Clay and Egnew being a question mark, but hopes we pick up a guy in the later rounds.
    Reggie Bush - Both Buy emphatically. (Interesting. I didn't expect them to be THAT strong about it.)
    Hartline: They both Buy, but NOT at a #1 WR price. Sam notes he is NOT a #1 WR.
    Jake Long: Troy Drayton Buying, Sam Selling. Sam thinks we can get younger and can get more for the money. Stradford says Martin looked good at LT and we can easily find a RT in the draft. (I disagree that Martin looked good at Left Tackle, personally, but hey.)

Thoughts?

Aquafin, Higgi, toto and 5 others like this.
  2. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm surprised they both thought so much of Hartline and Bush, to be honest. Also Sam Madison not being high on Sean Smith does not surprise me.

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    All this cap room and we don't have anyone unanimously worth buying into. Says enough for me, regardless of their individual assesments.

Of all those guys, I'd like to see Starks, Bush, Hartline, and Smith back. Not sure we will be willing to give them all what they want though.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think we tend to overvalue Smith since we drafted him. He shows potential every year and "glimpses" of high-level play and we give him the benefit of the doubt. guy really seems to struggle against faster paced, spread offenses. I can't remember the last time he made a play vs New England. I really hope we don't sign him at anywhere near his asking price.

5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

With Smith, it always seems that all crossing and in routes are instantly open. Not sure if he has trouble following them after they make their cut or what else is going on, but seemingly every in route is easily completed.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Starks is the one free agent I hope they sign. I have no problem with them signing Bush and Hartline if both these players are willing to sign reasonable contracts.

I believe Long and Smith are going to be asking for far more money than they are worth and therefore the Dolphins should just let them go. I have never been a big Fasano fan, since he only shows up in a few games each year. Unfortunately the Dolphins really don't have any TE's on the roster to replace him at this time. Hopefully they can add a talented TE in free agency or in the draft.

I think Moore will try to sign with a team where he thinks he will have a chance to become the starter. I really don't see him as anything but a career backup at this stage of his career, but you can't blame him if he leaves the Dolphins for what he might consider a better opportunity elsewhere.

McDaniels and Clemons are both very average NFL players and it shouldn't be difficult for the Dolphins to find upgrades for both these players.

7. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Its because he is lined up 8 yards off the guy and his press isn't that good. His hands are suspect and he is the most inconsistent player on the team. He can look good one minute and lost the next. Terrible in the redzone it seems like he is always the one giving up the TD. I say let him walk.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree with them for the most part, but would keep McD if we lose Starks

And Fasano should be allowed to walk imo, we have to upgrade even if the means drafting a Rookie

Bpk likes this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    In order, I'd try and re-sign:

1) Randy Starks
    2) Sean Smith or Chris Clemons, whichever comes cheaper.
    3) Brian Hartline
    4) Jake Long to an incentive-laden deal.

I'd let the rest walk. Starks would be my primary target, especially with Kevin Coyle's recent comments about Jared Odrick.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Still would love to keep Reggie Bush, just think he is not only a leader, but also an explosive player the kind we need to retain.

IDK how Miller or Thomas or Thigpen can watch how hard he works and not be inspired to up their game

AdamC13 likes this.
  11. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    i would keep Bush but no on everyone else we need serious help and i am not buying into any of our wrs sorry buti dont see anyone on our roster that is even a #2 wr let alone a #1 wr.

is there any chance we cut EGGNOG and let Bess go ?

i still wonder why ireland passed on guys like Boldin , and te Miller .

12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Reggie is interesting to me. Based on his season last year, he strikes me as someone the coaching staff doesn't value as highly at RB. I think they like Lamar Miller and want to see him win the job in 2013. You could certainly use Reggie Bush like how the Saints did - as a change of pace back, slot receiver, kick/punt returner - but your boy Marcus Thigpen filled 3 of those 4 roles down the stretch last year. While he may not be as dynamic as Reggie returning kicks and punts, he's more consistent IMO.

And, with teams like Cincinnati, Detroit, and Oakland rumored to be heavily interested in him, I think Miami's more apt to try and replace him with younger talent via FA and the Draft. If he wants to stay for less than what those three or any other teams might offer, fine, I'm happy to have him. But I think one of those 3 teams above blows him away with an offer.

Bpk likes this.