1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Henning

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Clipse, Nov 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    lets try not to create division amongst the fans. we all watch the games.

Bpk and SICK like this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I wouldn't say guinea pig necessarily. Its just a formation, like the I-formation, or shotgun. Its not going to be the only thing we do, just something we can use. I don't see a need to question the direction of the team.

One thing that I think is overlooked with this team, who is in their prime? It seems like most of our best players right now are rookies or 2nd year guys. I think next season we'll be a lot better, just because of the maturation process alone.

GISH likes this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    And it also wins games for us.

SICK and unluckyluciano like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm going to go on record as saying that play call by Dan Henning was worse than anything Mike Mularkey ever called. And he had some stinkers.

5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    He also put up a ton of points and won a lot of games with great calls. The Wildcat saved our entire season last year. At least give him the credit he deserves if you're going to hammer him for mistakes. Fans honestly don't understand football sometimes, good thing they don't make the calls or hire the coaches. Honestly people don't seem to be comprehending just how little playmakers there are on offense and how amazing it is that we actually won the division last year and have scored a lot of points this year.

djphinfan likes this.
  6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    No way. Mularky was the worst I can recall.

7. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    I agree that with what he has had to work with he has done an amazing job..not a good one,,but an amazing job. Yet with that being said...that play call by the goalline was just a terrible choice. My bone of contention was with the timing of the call..what had preceded it and the tone it set for the rest of the game. Henning forgot more football than I will ever know...I just thought he screwed the pooch on that call.

8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'll agree that overall Mularkey was worse. But I don't think Mularkey had one single worse play call than that fiasco Henning called last Sunday.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    In 2006
    Mularkey dialed up a halfback pass on a 2 point conversion
    to tie the Texans
    Ronnie Brown threw incomplete
    Fins lost 17-15

dumb

SICK and djphinfan like this.
  10. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    He did, that call stunk but you don't fire a good coordinator for a bad call. People are borderline obsessed with this call, it happened, its over it doesn't erase all the great work he's done. Fan's need to give it a rest already, we still should have beaten Buffalo, they are inferior to our team and one play shouldn't take the blame for that beat down, we fell apart as a team.

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Sparano turned to Lee to implement the WC.

Parcells suppsedly was intrested in bringing the Spread into the NFL, we saw some of that with the Pistol, and The Pats also use alot of Spread as well.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with this, iam still pissed off at him for thinking its about the formation and not the player though, and, trying it at the worst time ever.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    because brother, it took away a chance to play at home for first place and all the dynamics that brings to our franchise....Thats a very big deal in the NFL, even if were'nt not fully capable of winning the whole thing...

lol....so pissed off.

jetssuck likes this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how do you feel about your team losing against an inferior team with everything at stake.? that would imply that we did'nt play hard?...why would we do that knowing what was on the line...

Momentum is a crazy thing..we had that team ready to fold, with our season ready to explode, that call ended it...

Our team had a look on that drive that was intense, physical, and dominant, what do you think was going thru their minds when half back pass came into the huddle, or better yet, after it failed..

I would think part of an offensive cordinators job is to understand your teams demeanor and look...feed that ego, and reap the benefits of what an exclamation point of pounding it in on 4 tries would do for that look and demeanor.

Killerphins likes this.
  15. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina

Well my take is that Henning wanted to show the league that we will still run the Wildcat and will still pass even with Ronnie out. A little bit of an ego trip maybe, a bad call certainly but I do think he just felt super confident that we would win that game no matter the outcome of that play. And he should have been right, Buffalo just isn't a good team even with that turnover we still should have beaten them by a touchdown. He deserves to be roasted for that call but at some point fans have to give it a rest, he doesn't deserve to be fired for it, the fan reaction is out of control.

As far as blaming the season on him I think thats really unfair. We had Indy and NO right where we wanted them and our defense lost those games. His game plans on offense have been really good for the most part, we've been in a position to win just about every game we've played.

Bad call, no one is defending that call, I'm just defending his body of work and what he means to this team. I think we are building a special team and I think he deserves a chance to call this offense when we get the playmakers that real contenders need to have.

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Now you sound like Rex Ryan. But even if Buffalo is an inferior team, that is EXACTLY why you don't make stupid play calls like a half back pass to give a bad team the momentum they need to win. As I said before, it got the fans back into the game and completely changed the game for the worst. You seem to be ignoring fan reaction and momentum in your analysis. Sure, in a perfect world if we're the better team we should still win a game that is tied 0-0. But when you factor in the swing in momentum, fans, and the negative toll it takes on a team's confidence to have 1st and goal on the 3 and come up empty, then you begin to realize why it was such an awful play call.

This isn't just a bad call. It was an epic failure. It has probably cost us whatever shot at the playoffs we might have had. It's a deal breaker. And it's not just something that after the fact is a bad play call. Dan Henning should have known better before the play. He should know how great a chance Ricky would have had just running it in if we take 3 shots at it. He should have known how many things can go wrong on a half back pass. He should know the percentages and the best chances to put 6 on the board with the least chance of disaster. If he can't figure that out in a game situation, bring in somebody who can. You want to give the guy a pass on one of the worst play calls I've ever seen in my 25 years of watching football. Some of us aren't so willing. We'll have to agree to disagree.

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yes. I've said numerous times Henning can be a great Coordinator when he wants too. The thing is, that's not good enough. You can't be a great coordinator one drive, then a horrible one the next drive. Sorry, not going to work.

18. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The Wildcat isn't Henning, nor Parcells idea. David Lee brought it with him from Arkansas where he had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones run it. Hopefully we scrap it soon. It should only be used for goalline/short yardage situations. And no passing out of it...

19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It really is. Henning gets too cute for his own good. And it kills drives, especially good drives. Which in turn, changes the outcome of the game.

20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sure. I give credit to David Lee for bringing the Wildcat with him from Arkansas. Happy? Now, let's stop using it because it has run its course and is only useful on goalline situations, when we're not busy making the worst call in NFL history by letting Ricky throw it that is. The Wildcat will not win games anymore. We're going to need a real Coordinator from here on out. Not one that's great half the time, and atrocious the other half. Not going to get us anywhere. And hopefully if he retires or gets fired, he takes Pasqualoni with him too.

21. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Everyone has acknowledged the play call was terrible, so please spare us all the 10000000th recap of it, we all saw it we all think it stinks. I've never defended that call. I've just decided to give the guy that has been a great coordinator for us a break.

I'm not blaming the season on him, thats just fan talk and piss poor JestLike fan talk, we are a better fan base than this. We should be rallying around this team that STILL has a legit shot at the playoffs instead of calling for heads to roll. The front office and coaching staff have earned an ounce of respect from me. Sorry you don't feel the same way but I'm going to support the team when they are down, not kick them and throw a fit.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Since you claim we still should have beaten Buffalo, I recapped it again to help explain to you why that play was such a large part of why we didn't.

Please don't accuse me of sounding like a Jets fan after you make the following quote -

I think claiming to be a better team after getting beaten by that team is much more Jets fan like than making legitimate critiques of something that has been a problem for this team all season long. I don't care about points and red zone percentages. I care about wins and losses. We are 5-6 and poor play calling is a part of that poor record. Defense is another part. There is room for improvement everywhere on this team and, IMO, offensive play calling is one of those areas.

23. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Than blame the Head Coach for not telling him to stop.

And on the other hand, he has us at the top of the league in longest drives for TD's by the way.

24. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    It just seems odd that a lot of people respect the Dolphins for playing above their actual talent level, and other feel as if both cordinators have to be fired/leave. At face value something doesn't jive there.

Offense:
    The analogy for Henning to me is, He is trying to win a fist fight with one hand tied behind his back. Everyone knows the right hand is dangerous ( the running game), but everyone also knows that the left hand is useless ( the passing game ). The opponent knows the right hand is coming so Henning tries to get creative and cute in order to land a punch at times. Sometimes it lands.. sometimes it misses and we fall to the floor. But to expect a man to win all or the majority of fist fights with only one hand is asking a bit much.

The problem with the Buffalo WC pass call was that Buffalo couldn't stop the right hand so there isn't a need to get creative/cute to land a punch. I agree that it was a bad call. But lets not act as if this offense can just line up and score 30+ points calling only traditional offensive plays. We aren't that talented in my opinion. To me that is the reason Henning gets cute/creative, because he has too.

Defense:
    I feel like if you give a cook crappy ingredients, it's hard for him to make a great tasting meal. I believe the defensive players especially have done a terrible job in execution. You can't lay all those points given up in the 4th on the play caller alone. I am not washing his hands of those points but the players clearly are just as accountable.

25. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    We beat Buffalo 38-10 earlier in the year and had a better record than them, its not Jestlike to say we were better it was factual. Not even close on that one, sorry.
    We are pretty high up in the league, 12th I believe in offense, so its been stronger than our defense and special teams. Henning deserves some credit from fans who have short memories. He hasn't been the problem last year or this year, he just made a bone head call. Doesn't erase the past and doesn't change the facts that we won the division last year and are competing for a playoff spot with garbage talent on offense.
    Of course theres room for improvement, but firing a good coordinator thats been great for this franchise because of a bad call is quintessential Jest Fan behavior, we are a better, more knowledgeable fan base we don't turn on our team in the middle of a playoff chase.

26. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I kinda equate Dan Henning as our Jay Fiedler of OC's. For the most part, the play calling is solid. Its steady, you know what your gonna get. He isnt gonna throw it down the field with much authority.

And just when the score is close...he makes the one ill timed bird brained pick 6..(or bad play call in Henne's case) and everyone wants him gone.

You cant really argue with the results...he has us scoring more points than our talent seems to dictate. And we are number one in scoring TD's inside the 10...by a wide margin. Half those are by Pass....which also points to good decision making by Henne!!!

But you just wonder what it would be like to have an OC who would really open things up. I dont think Henning should be fired....not even close. He's done alot for our team...but I am interested in who we might eventually transition to.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your right brother, i need to let it go..as long as someone talks to his *** about the genious of ronnie brown and that his oline probably hates the wildcat and wants its own identity.

Ok, iam done.. i think..lol

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    For now yes, i would agree with that, but not next year when ronnie is healthy, no way..

29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Bump

30. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    God he is awful.

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's a small miracle Pat White didn't fumble that ball. F u Dan Henning.

32. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Interception in the 4th. Down by 2. Ball at our own 20, 9:30 left. 3 Straight Pass plays.

33. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Why are they not giving it to Polite on 3rd/4th and short?!? come on hes automatic

34. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    It looks like possibly Henning has started to learn that Wildcat - Ronnie <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Henne in the base offense. He still tried to screw us twice by throwing White in there though, and it almost cost us the ball. Hopefully he lets Henne play the damn game next week.

35. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    ^ What he said. Just let Henne play, Henning and you might just keep your job.

36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

So... what do people think now? Still wanna fire Henning?

37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Depends on whether or not he costs us anymore winnable games with idiotic play calls the rest of the season. At least one of those moronic Pat White plays could have been a fumble. If he continues to trust Chad Henne to be a quarterback and Ricky Williams to be a running back and doesn't beat himself with overly clever plays, he could prove all of us "Fire Henning" guys wrong.

IMO, despite the big win yesterday, that Ricky Williams half back pass could still haunt us if we just miss the playoffs. Yes I'm still pissed about that play.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  38. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008

The thing about the Pat White call this game, that almost turned into a disaster, was Pat White was at fault, not the play call. It's is a fairly routine college play that White probably had run plenty of times. It looked like a zone read play and Pat White messed it up.

This is what I remember of the play, The Oline doesn't block the left DE, Pat White reads that player. If the DE crashes down to stop the dive run play then pat white doesn't hand the ball off and then he runs the option with Ricky. Well the DE did crash down, but he was crashing down on Pat White not the RB. So if White read it correct that play would have just been a Dive running play. So Pat White messes up the read, then panics when Banta-Cain is full speed unblocked coming at him and throws an scary pitch to RW. Lucky RW's hops on it.

White had some big plays against the Pats last game so I could see how the OC would be comfortable putting White in there.

You can't please everyone. We run the ball people scream for you to open up the offense and pass, you pass the ball 52 times and people ask why aren't we running the ball more. Life as an OC I guess :lol:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  39. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    ROFL, you are asking alot...:shifty:

Its about execution and not play calling!

40. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sure do. Once again, Henning calls a great game, half the time, and a horrible one the other half. Pat White failed option? Pat White on 1st and goal? Totally abandoning the run in the 2nd half, and going 3 and out on 2 occasions on throw, throw, throw, punt drives. 3rd and 1 and we run Hilliard? Twice? This is what I recall off the top of my head. Please, for the love of god, retire Henning. All the atrocious playcalls will always overshadow the good ones. We need an OC who's good more than half the time.

I did like that Henning didn't use the Wildcat, but the 2 Pat White plays... I liked that Henning unleashed Henne against a bad secondary, but I would expect any decent OC to come up with a similar gameplan. I'll give Henning a solid B-. Solid game, with a lot of bad calls. But the calls didn't lose us the game, thanks to the defense stepping up and only allowing 7 points in 3 quarters, and 0 in the 4th quarter.