1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Battlefield 3 X360 footage

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's a disaster in this sense: There are lots of people like me who have never played a Battlefield game before. I played the Beta to see if it was worth buying and came away with the opinion of NO ****ING WAY. Hasty conclusion? Maybe. But with so many other games out there, games have a split second to capture my attention and if they miss I'm onto something else. Talked to at least 2 other people who downloaded the BETA who reached the same conclusion and also will not buy the full game.

baboo72 and sking29 like this.
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    :shifty:

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Rent the retail version and let me know when you change your mind.

Signed,

BF Fanboy. :shifty:

sking29 likes this.
  4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    As I said I agree that EA/DICE releasing an old build was a bad move for the exact reasons you have said. My point wasn't aimed at gamers who disliked the beta, because it was a bad beta, but at the gaming media who are so quick to go to the extreme. They did the same thing with the MAG beta when it was released and if I recall correctly with the Halo Reach beta. All I was saying is they make betas hold a lot more weight than they should. My point in regards to demos and the final retail version was to say games go through stages and for the gaming media to take a beta as a be all end all is a bit much. Not just for Battlefield games but I said the same for MAG when it was getting killed in beta stage.

I agree with you that the beta was bad and will cause some not to get the game and that is totally fine. As consumers we buy what we want and if we don't like a product we don't buy it. I just want to point out Monst that I wasn't saying that you or any other gamer who disliked the beta were in the wrong or should give it another shot. It's your time and money so spend it as you wish. I was directing my argument at the gaming media alone.

I'm not sure if this was related to my earlier post or not but I think I'd like to use it to make a point (either way nothing directed towards you Tone_E). I want to say that while I obviously enjoy the Battlefield series and even joke about working for them, I am not a BF fanboy. Yes calm your laughter but it is the truth. The fact is, I don't care if Battlefield 3 falls flat on it's face or not because I have nothing to gain or lose from it. I'd make the same exact argument for MAG, Halo Reach, Modern Warfare 3, Hannah Montana: The Game, or whatever else. I simply think games go through a development stage and I try to view them from that spectrum (as I expect an objective media to do). However, as I wrote to Monst above, that he is correct that games have a limited chance to make an impression to earn our hard earned money. So if you dislike a beta it's totally fine if you don't even try the demo because that is your right. The media operates under a different set of rules because they typically get these games for free and I would expect them to behave differently as a result (in regards to all games not just Battlefield).

I don't even know if I am getting Battlefield 3 myself because it still has a lot to prove to me to show it's worth $60. Therefore, for me, the demo and reviews will play a large role in if I want to purchase the game. I can say the same thing of Uncharted 3 also.

MonstBlitz and Tone_E like this.
  5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Well, we have a life, you know, jobs, girlfriends, etc. The media, their job is playing these games. Imagine that, 9-5 playing games and then all the time in the world for their GFs. #envy

And with that being said, I absolutely agree. I won't even touch MW3 because I will be spending my gaming time (much like everyone here, this is a fraction of total spare time) playing BF3.

To each their own, and we can't fault people's opinions and preferences. Some like the arena play of COD, while others prefer a more realistic, larger scale game with vehicles (see what I did right there :)), but in any case, these internet wars about COD vs BF and even 360 vs PS3 are asinine, immature, and really a waste time and energy.

I can only hope that both games are hugely successful so that the fps genre continues to advance because we've come a long way from Wolf 3D and Doom 2.

So, buy and enjoy the game of your choice, and may we all pwn! Here here!

baboo72, MonstBlitz and Clipse like this.
  6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'd prefer COD players to stick to COD personally...

Tone_E likes this.
  7. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Agreed. The whole COD vs. BF "war" is ridiculous. The games are complete opposites. One is a CQB, arcade shooter that is dominated by solo players. The other is a large scale battle with vehicle warfare, and an emphasis on team play. Play whatever you want. I prefer Battlefield since it has much more substance, and play Team Fortress 2 when in the mood for an arcade shooter. Then, when not in the mood for either, I hop on ArmA 2.

Tone_E likes this.
  8. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I remember the first time I played Battlefield 1942. I played the demo with Wake Island. I was blown away. The vehicles, seeing the planes flying in the air... I had never seen that before as a CS player. The plane physics and controls were awesome. I still play a mod of Battlefield 1942 called Desert Combat. That is a fun game, especially with the planes. I hope the control of the planes are good. I was not a fan of the planes in BF2 because the control was much different from BF1942.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to BF3.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    [video=youtube;lAq5fMc5u_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAq5fMc5u_g[/video]

Clipse likes this.
  10. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    fapping, brb

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's the PC version, by the way. :lol:

TiP54 likes this.
  12. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Just to tease until the release tomorrow, here is the launch trailer with MP footage.

Base jumping FTW! Ripped from COD though, but who cares.

[video=youtube;Q7GVSx7yMaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7GVSx7yMaA[/video]

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The next person to tell me BF3 is realistic, or more realistic than MW3, after watching that trailer gets a laugh in the face. :lol:

Great trailer, though. EA/DICE has kept the story under wraps, so let's see what this is really about. My Origin copy unlocks tonight.

14. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I posted the wrong vid. And where did I say it was realistic? I have arma and pr for that.

Anyways, here is the MP trailer with the base jumping.

[video=youtube;FRqfFfuVuNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqfFfuVuNE[/video]

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I hope everyone who is getting this game on 360 has 2GB of HDD space free. :lol:

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Never said you did. I'm referring to the debate from a couple of months ago. Also referring to general Internet sentiment.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    we should all get hooked up on this and play together on Sundays at 1pm eastern...

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm playing it right now. No, I didn't do anything illegal, but EA doesn't like me very much right now. :lol:

I'm on the sixth or so campaign mission. Best way to describe it is Hurt Locker meets Black Ops. You guys will understand what I mean after about 15 minutes into the campaign. I don't like the feel of the controls; gun recoil is tough to manage and your character feels very sluggish and heavy when moving around. Of course, I just finished playing Rage a bit over a week ago, so having played an id shooter may have spoiled me here.

Graphics are phenomenal, but I have a mid- to upper-range PC (Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz, Radeon 4850 X2, 4GB RAM), so don't quote me on that, 360 owners. The lighting effects are great and not as harsh as they looked in trailers. Guns feel a little interchangeable and there isn't much variety, at least early on.

Multiplayer is going to be the star of the show here.

19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ^ argh matey...

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm really only interested in single player, and moreso the graphics on pc, so it'll be a while before I pick this up.

21. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I love that Aaron Pierce is in the game! Im getting to PS3, PSN name is Jt0323 if anyone wants to add me

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Silver_Hornet13 I'll add ya when I get it tomorrow. :wink2:

Jt0323 likes this.
  23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The campaign takes a decidedly CoD4 style twist a little deeper in.

24. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    **** the single player, have you tried the co-op? Fapariffic.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't have interest in the co-op mode, even though I love co-op in general.

Just beat the campaign. Can't wait to hear what the "BF3 is realistic" people have to say about it. :lol:

26. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Why not? It's terrific.

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    First, no one to play it with. :lol:

Second, my free time is so hit or miss lately that it's easier just to play at my own pace. So co-op is a non-starter.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Oh, and now that EA's released the game early for PC, I can go ahead and say that no, I did not pirate the PC version. I paid my $60 like everyone else (who isn't a pirate). I installed Origin and let the game preload overnight last night. Then, at about 11 AM EST, I used a Korean proxy address to report to EA's servers that I had a Korean IP address, thus unlocking the game about 12 hours early. :up:

Tone_E and PeaTearGriffin like this.
  29. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Ah, well that's unfortunate. I only got to play 2 of the missions, pretty damn fun.

30. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

You sly mofo you....

dolfan32323 likes this.
  31. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Any mp xbox players? Gt is bickety bam

-Ed-
    sent from my EVO 3D

32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    *Reported to X-Box Live as spam*

:shifty:

MonstBlitz and Paul 13 like this.
  33. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Any MP reviews guys?

34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    My eyes are bleeding... I won't have the game till later today... much later today... :pity:

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So, who's played this besides me? I haven't touched multiplayer yet, since I'm barreling through the Steve Jobs bio (chapter 38 and counting!)

Any thoughts?

36. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Done with the campaign and co-op. Campaign, who cares. Seen one unrealistic explosion fest, seen them all. Co-op, pretty damn fun. Gonna spend most of the day on multiplayer.

37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I played MP for about an hour last night. Just got owned. But that's nothing new since I naturally suck. Recoil is a *****. I played some team DM, which was fun. I played some Rush with obviously new maps from the one beta map. Takes me a long time to get used to a map :lol: Saw someone flying an A10 Warthog, was just in awe... and then someone else shot me :lol: Saw another guy flying an A10, did a nose dive right onto a tank and blew everything up. :lol: It's fun... until you start leveling up and getting the right add ons, it's a challenge.

Tone_E likes this.
  38. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks Paul, I played for about an hour too, on PC.

I have a dual 2.4 ghz CPU with an old 8800 GTX vid card, so I had textures on medium and aax2, and everything else like shadows and effects on low. Surprisingly, it looks good still, like BC2 on high. Can't imagine how good it would look on ultra settings on the PC.

Anyways, my CPU bogged down a bit, but here are my first impressions;

1. Origins SUCKS! Damn, give us an in-game browser for crying out loud.
    2. Sounds are AMAZING
    3. Gameplay is good, on the larger maps, much like BF2. Has a nice feel to it.
    4. I like the damage mechanics, guns feel powerful. I hate pumping a guy with 1/2+ a clip to drop him. (I see you Halo.....etc)
    5. Animations and moving mechanics are good too. Feels fluid. Welcome back prone.
    6. It rewards teamwork, and I like that.
    7. Vehicles are amazing, simply said - like BF2. Wide array of them. Dropped a jet with the AA Tank. Good feeling.
    8. Jets.....they move too slow in the air it seems.

One thing that I hate is the damn Cerise Crossing map, or whatever that dammed MP map in France is. That one in particular, but of the maps that shipped with the game, half of them are small and full of choke points. BS, frustrating to spawn and get killed, etc. I think they did that purposely to appeal to the COD fans as well, that are used to the smaller scale warfare, but BF3 can't pull it off. COD has random spawn zones, which make it bearable. BF3 doesn't, so when you are losing a conquest round on these tiny maps and you only control one if any spawn zones, you spawn, die, spawn, die, and can barely make a push. The larger maps that shipped with the game are enjoyable, especially the desert one with the oil station.

Oh well, will have to wait for the Karkhand expansion and other 24/7 servers playing select larger maps. For example, all I used to play on BC2 was Atacama Desert Hardcore 1000 tickets 24/7.

Ultimately, I need to upgrade my vid card I think to enjoy the game even moreso than I am already enjoying it. Need to run smoother so I can own. :)

I'm a longtime BF fan, and I can't really say I'm disappointed with BF3, except when servers switch to the small maps.

39. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Stingers are the GOAT. That is all.

40. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I hate during Conquest how the indicators really take over the screen. I cant tell you how many times Ive been killed because I cant see something because the indicators dominate over it..

Tone_E likes this.