1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first impressions first preseason game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Aug 15, 2010.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    these are my drunken impressions of the first preseason game. be afraid, be very afraid

1) field stunk. its the first preseason game. take everything with a grain of salt

2) 1st string offense overall is still rusty. expect it to improve by the third preseason game dramatically

3) 1st string defense was promising but as our offense was rusty so was tampa's so we'll get a better feel by the third preseason game as all offenses are rusty at this stage of the preseason

4) OG John Jerry looked good in the run game. ok in the pass. Overall very impressive performance for his first game in the NFL

5) Ted Ginn will have a pro bowl year. Its obviosuly the #19 jersey that caused him those drops. Retire the number now and immediately get Marshall a new jersey with a new number

6) Ronnie Brown looked good in his first game back. Want to see him on a decent field now to see how much speed he has

7) Henne looked off all game. Want to see him bounce back next week

8) Turner and Moore had some moments but wouldnt write off Pruitt and Wallace just yet

9) Misi loves contact. I dont know if he'll have a long career playing the way he does but he plays linebacker like a wedgebuster. very strong and has a nice bull rush

10) cant believe i didnt scout odrick this game. oh well next week

11) starks got moved around at NT. Not sure that experiment is going to work

12) Soliai on the other hand looked good, very good. Not sure of he shouldnt be the starter

13) lionel dotson lol. looks improved. is it enough to stick on the roster?

14) wake looked alright but not the superstar level we need from the WOLB spot. Hopefully dry turf will be the cure. he looked improved against the run however which is huge.

15) vontae seemed like he was going through the motions until that tampa receiver had a sick catch over him. after that vontae got pissed and focused. love his run support

16) smith looks to be much improved on run support also. pass defense wise got a pick, made some plays but seemed to screw up a couple of times

17) jason allen looked alright. not great but alright

18) chris clemons was around the ball alot but missed some tackles and was late a few times helping out on coverage. hopefully first game jitters and bad field conditions. has to improve but not that much. glass is half empty half full

19) nate ness had a lot of highlight plays but i think against first stringers he would be toast.

20) nolan carroll has a nice burst. this guy will be good next year. might be too much to expect much from him this year but the talent is there

21) fields was a monster tonight

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Did Ikaika flash to you Adamp?

I watched on a tiny 6 inch stream and it was just tough to follow the front 7, especially a Sam but I did notice he had nice burst on that fumble, but on a blitz the Rb went low on him and took him out to easily imho.

3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    unfortunately i didnt get a chance to watch him tonight. it was my birthday and people wanted to go out but i was kind of delaying it watching the game :lol: we went out afterwards but i couldnt focus on everyone i wanted to. missed ike tonight and odrick too :pity:

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well Happy B-Day Adamp!

I really want to rewatch that game as it was just to tough to follow players with that tiny window.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thanks. it was actually thursday but i had to work that day :pity:. i made up for it friday and saturday though :lol:

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Boobies!?!?!

J/K.

Killerphins likes this.
  7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that was the plan but jack daniels was the reality :lol:

padre31 likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny how that works..

Eh, took a look at the stat line, Soliai was credited with 2 tackles, but when you watched the game, in Soliai's words:

"coach told me that when I'm singled blocked, I should be making tackles"

I gotta be honest Adamp, Soliai impressed me the most physically, when he pounced on that fumble, that was my only "wow" moment of the game.

Dude looked like a 340 pd cat pouncing on a mouse.

gunn34 and adamprez2003 like this.
  9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    soliai looks like he made the jump from average NT to good to very good NT. Too early to say for sure but the 4th year looks like it will be his breakout year. Disappointed by Starks however. He looked like he was getting pushed around out there

10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    oh and props to micah johnson. almost forgot about him but he is a run thumper. knock on him is he cant play the pass but man he was stuffing the run all night long. also thigpen did alright. the ball is in pat white's court now. he needs to come through with a good outing next week

padre31 likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Happy Bday AP!! Let me know if you run into Deej at a strip club!! He might need a designated driver FYI.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    if micah johnson coninues to play the run like he did last night, then this regime has to find a way to get him on this squad, pass covering issues aside, don´t know on which guys expense though

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Preseason or not I cant remember the last Dolphins game that was so boring and I was without emotion throughout. I kind of just wanted it to end from the first quarter.

Players who stood out to me:

Marlon Moore
    Koa Misi
    Paul Solai
    Micah Johnson
    Lionel Dotson
    Nolan Carroll

Mostly in garbage time.

Nate Ness had a crazy possession where it seemed like he was being picked on every pass and he stepped up and made a play each time.

gafinfan and the 23rd like this.
  14. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    All Im Really Wondering is if we can Move Starks back to DE because from what i saw yesterday NT is not a good fit for him Soliai was impressive yesterday.

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I hear that Misi played well

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Happy Belated Birthday Adam!

Will someone please get the damned Marlins OUT of our FOOTBALL STADIUM? Move the Marlins to Toronto for all I care, just get the damn field used strictly for football, this is an embarrassment for the Dolphins and Miami.

Move the Marlins to one of the spring training stadiums till theirs is built, they'll still be lucky to fill even that anyway.

Comcast totally screwed me last night, my DVR was supposed to be recording the game, I waited an hour after the start of the game so I could fast forward through commercials. But Comcast had NO SIGNAL to my house for any HD channels last night. Had to switch to basic cable channels to watch the rest of the game. I called and ranted & they are coming out Tuesday because the girl could somehow "see from there" they have a bad signal strength into our home. I advised the poor girl I wasn't mad at her specifically BUT YOUR STUPID COMPANY MADE ME MISS THE ENTIRE FIRST HOUR OF THE GAME!!!!! If you can see it from your office, why didn't someone come out and fix it before?!!! AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Was happy to see Turner finally show up and make some catches, maybe we get lucky and the light comes on for him, I would love having two big men Turner and Marshall on the field in the red zone, would be tough to defend!

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Outside of the tech dificulties,the lousy weather and inconsistant play with lot's of penalties it was nice to have football back.

18. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    DL= Starks, Solai, Langford, McDaniel
    LBs= Misi,Chrowder, Dansby, IAF
    DBs= Davis, Smith, Bell

TRY TO RUN ON THIS D

19. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Miami played uninspired football plain and simple. Henne was doing nothing but dump offs, Marshall did a great Ginn impersionation. The defense gave up way too many third and longs. Miami was out played on both sides of the ball.

gafinfan and Pandarilla like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It sort of boggles me that people really think Henne throwing dump off passes is such a bad thing.

It's the preseason folks, time for Henne to work on that weakness in his game, we all know he has the arm to throw 50 yds downfield, his problem is touch passes and..dump off passes.

*Gosh* think he might want to work on that when the games do not matter?

Rocky Raccoon and GMJohnson like this.
  21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Misi's bull rushing was impressive. The guy doesn't look like much but he's a tractor out there. Just wish he could develop some finesse moves.

Stitches and GMJohnson like this.
  22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

My Thoughts on your thoughts....Nice post Adam, as usual...

adamprez2003 likes this.
  23. Larryfinfan

Hope you're not blaming those drops on Henne ?? I heard some of that bs in other threads...Touch was not an issue for Henne last night...Bonehead wr play was....

Phinperor likes this.
  24. Larryfinfan

That may be an option, and I agree with you about both Starks and Soliai, but first we need to see more consistency from Soliai. He played well the whole time he was in the game tonight, but it was a preseason game and he wasn't asked to do it for the whole game. Starks, IMHO, gets a bye because of the muck and new system, etc...He deserves that because we've seen him play well at NT in the past when the system wasn't tailored to his talents...

But, it's just too early to write him off and Soliai on...

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I noted very few bright spots
    4 a team talking Dan Marino-2
    & promising to contend...
    playing @ home against a bottom feeder team

gafinfan likes this.
  26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eegads, this is the time that you want to work on things for the regular season, notice the whining (yes whining) over "Henne was just throwing dink and dunks"

He is supposed to be throwing those passes against opponents when it does not matter so he can improve his touch and feel for that part of the game.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    hopefully, Friend padre31
    next game he will step up

28. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

If the weather was as bad as described, I honestly wouldnt take anything from the game except from guys trying to make the squad...just cant see there being much energy from the guys who know they r on the team..in the first pre season game..in a down pour. Trying to read anything past that and the injury point is a stretch IMO.

Larryfinfan, GMJohnson and the 23rd like this.
  29. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    did you see the Ravens play Carolina last week in the pouring down rain?
    sleet, rain, snow hot, cold, whatever... got to play the game w/ intensity

looking for blue skies & a little sunshine:
    1) Ronnie Brown
    2) John Jerry
    3) Solai & Crowder
    4) no apparent injuries
    5) we know what to work on
    6) another game next week
    7) the pressure is on to get it right
    my personal positive spin on a horrid game

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How many times will I read this? LOL. Seems to be in every thread. To try to read anything into the first preseason game is silly, IMO...unless you're looking at the second and third string guys.

Pandarilla likes this.
  31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Et tu?

Chad Henne will be fine.

Sparano needs to get his mind right about the Offensive line, there is no way we should be heading into wk #2 of the preseason with no idea who the starters will actually be in Buffalo.

That will mean the starting unit will have all of 2 wks to prepare for the Bills game.

32. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Yep, he was pushed around and his size is a big issue because a NT will almost always see double teams, and in the first couple of series, that's about all he saw.

33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Man, what an ugly game that was, literally and figuratively.

- It thought Odrick looked real good. He was getting pressure into the back-field from his first snap. He got into and disrupted the backfield many times. Going against big Jake in practice, obviously, has been a big help. You can see he's still a bit raw, obviously, and has to work on some techniques, etc, but you can see his strength and quickness. I think he's going to be real good.

- Misi looked good, imo. He definitely showed that quick step. It's early, but I think he's going to be a really good player for us.

- Paul Soliai. Enough said. The guy looked and played like a beast out there. That's the guy we've been waiting to see. It looked like he realized that this is his last shot and the lights finally went on and the beast came out. He looked real good and was really hustling all over the field. He moves pretty well for a guy his size. That was very encouraging. I know it was just one game, but if he can keep that up, we'll be in great shape in that dept. I loved it!

- Ronnie looked real good and appeared to have his typical strength and burst.

- Patrick Turner? Alright, I'm not even going to say anything lest I jinx him.

- Moore looked pretty good, but it was against so-so competition. (PS)

- M. Johnson should be a keeper, imo, just based on potential alone, but his coverage skills would worry me at this point.

- I think also think Spitler should be a keeper. I think he has more long-term potential. Probably just more of a STer or situational guy for now, but I think he's going to turn out to be a solid player. With Edds now out, who knows?

* Actually I'd like to keep McCoy as well. I know you can't keep everybody, but I like the potential in some of these LBs. I hope we can have some for depth and some to stash away on the PS.

- John Jerry. This was a bit of a surprise that he came in, started and looked real good for the most part. Let's just hope he stays healthy, but he looked real good.

- Lousaka was Lousaka.

- N. Caroll looked good. I hope it continues because we really could use him. That one break-up was freakin' textbook!!

- Karlos Dansby. I may be in the minority here, but I was really....REALLY disappointed with his play. Well, as disappointed as I could be from the 1st pre-season game. He was such an important off-season acquisition for us, imo and I guess I just wanted to see a little bit more of an impact. He looked weak and slow and the middle of the field was wide open. We gave up some big chunks from the middle. I actually thought Crowder looked like an All-Pro next to him.......very disappointed. I have to go back and watch it again to see exactly where the problem was, but I saw Dansby several times getting blocked and handled one on one or just looking very mediocre all around.

- Our secondary is still like a roller-coaster, IMO. They give up some big plays, but then they turn around and make some big plays. I still like them a lot and in the end, I think they'll be a real good unit and Nolan will really help them excel.
    Man, if Vontae can learn to stick to his guy like glue, like he does, but then be able to turn his head around and look for the ball at the same time, he will get a lot of picks. That's what he needs to work on.

- All off-season I mentioned how Nolan like to bring pressure from the secondary, well we saw a bit of things to come, as vanilla as the ran things, and that's great, imo.

* With all of this said: It was just the first preseason game, but it was a bit of a kill joy.

* They have to do something about that field. It was ridiculous. As kids we used to love to play in games like that because it was fun to get dirty and smash guy into the mud and it was more run oriented, etc. These days with the passing game being such a big part of the NFL these days, that it really stifles any ability to be effective and even entertaining, etc, etc, etc. Some rain and mud is o.k. from time to time, but 6 to 8 inches of mud? That's redonkulous!

* Did Dobbins even play? I was kind of shot and I have to watch it again, but I don't remember seeing him at all and I guess that's not really a good thing.

* Did anyone else get an eerie reminder of Ginn when Marshall, #19, dropped that real easy pass going across the middle?

Anyway, ugly game, but we'll have a better idea when they get a chance to play in more normal conditions. Though it didn't seem to effect the Bucs as much.

34. Larryfinfan

Dobbins did not play, why we saw a lot of Johnson.

Yeah, I have to admit I took a double look after that miss....looked just like a #19 attempt at a reception....last year (I hope). I am qualified to say this because I was a Ginn supporter all along.... Seriously, those misses will pass, but you know what they say about first impressions....you only get one chance to make them...

As I've said all day, the Dolphins owners should be ashamed of themselves over that field. In this day and age, something better can be done...heck they can grow real grass inside a dome, they can do something with that crappy infield...

35. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Biggest issue I have with last night is Henne seems to be falling into a Pennington type of always throw to the checkdowns. Starting to think Pennington being there for Henne might be a bad thing. But once again that could be due to the rain as well, I imagine its difficult to air it out in the rain.

Looking forward to next weeks game, hopefully no rain!