1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First pick, Keeper league... suggestions

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by arsenal, Aug 18, 2008.

1. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    I've explained my league before but thats not as important now, what you need to know is that i have the first pick in the draft (which actually sucks, because round 1 is just 3 people out of the 12 picking, so in actuality i wanted the last pick in the draft to pick first in the 2nd round, but anyway...)

standard scoring, start 1qb, 2rb, 3wrs, 1te, 1k, 1def

I have on my team Frank Gore, RB

here are the players that are kept on everyone elses team

RBs:
    Marshawn Lynch
    Brandon Jacobs
    Adrian Peterson
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Willis McGahee
    Frank Gore
    Marion Barber
    Ryan Grant
    Brian Westbrook
    Clinton Portis
    Steven Jackson
    Larry Johnson
    Joseph Addai

QBs:
    Drew Brees
    Peyton Manning
    Carson Palmer
    Derek Anderson
    Tom Brady
    Tony Romo

WRs:
    Terrell Owens
    Randy Moss

So i have first go at anyone left, which leaves me choices like:
    WRs: Reggie Wayne or Braylon Edwards (which i debated keeping either one of anyway and forfeiting my first round pick)
    RBs: Jamal Lewis, Maurice Jones Drew, Willie Parker
    QBs: Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Donovan Mcnabb

So my question to you fantasy football participants out there... who would you take with that first pick? I am currently leaning towards Jamal Lewis he had 1500+ total yards and 11 tds last year... and i dont see any reason why the cleveland offense would show any signs of slowing down next season...

Anyone have any other suggestion?

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I would consider Braylon as well.

arsenal likes this.
  3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Id stay away from Lewis 29, coke probs, knee probs, derek anderson

Id say Edwards or Wayne. Im partial to Wayne personally. Less injuries and better QB.

arsenal likes this.
  4. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah wayne and edwards were both on my team last year and i opted to not keep either because i figured id be in a situation where id be able to get one back if i wanted...

but Jamal Lewis hasn't had any problems for a while now... the young Cleveland Oline is good and youd think theyd only mature and get better... plus with Anderson and their passing options defenses cant key on stopping the run, and if they put up a lot of points they could be running out the clock alot...

plus Lewis is the same age as LT, you wouldn't say avoid LT because of his age, and Lewis has had a lot less carries in his career, including under 300 last year so i dont think he'll be too worn out...

i dont know im leaning more and more towards Lewis... because i wont pick again for 14 more picks and what 2nd RB will i be able to have by then? id be stuck with platooning type backs... while i'll still be able to get some good WRs at that spot

5. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    id take MJD over Lewis if youre going the RB route.
    Personally id go with Wayne or Edwards. Look how many RBS are already gone. So you figure everyone else will go with the WRs with their 1st pick and you'll be left with a 3rd/4th Tier WR when you need to start 3.

arsenal likes this.
  6. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    really why? he gets half the touches Lewis does... why would i take a platoon back over a solid outright starter?

7. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i was thinking that 2nd part too... but its only 2 teams that kept 2 backs... so most teams will be looking for that second starting running back in that 2nd round... but that is something i should consider...

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, MJD will be getting full reps once Fred Taylor kicks the bucket.

arsenal likes this.
  9. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    PPR and Receiving Yards.
    MJD had 9 TDS last year sharing. Lewis had 11. Imagine MJD as a full time player if Taylor gets hurt. MJD has more upside then Lewis.

arsenal likes this.
  10. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    but i always tell People go with your gut. If you want Player X then go with him regardless of what others tell you :knucks:

arsenal likes this.
  11. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah, i just dont know when Taylor will finally move aside, MJD would be a fantasy beast if i didn't have to worry about old freddie...

but i hated thinking about taking Jamal Lewis first, just isn't exciting to me, but as i looked into him more, hes in the best shape hes been in in a long time, hes down to playing weight when he was in college... his offensive line is young and great, they keep saying they want to make him the number 1 back in all the NFL, seem to be hungry as does Jamal (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=8683)

i dont know its starting to feel more right the more i research it

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  12. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    you should do a quick mock.
    Just to see what WRs will be left. Then maybe decide from there.
    Gore/Lewis

maybe these WRs will be there.
    Holmes
    R.Williams
    Cothchery
    Jennings
    Bowe
    Burress
    S.Moss

Maybe Marshall/S.Smith drop

13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No love for Edge James?

Desides and arsenal like this.
  14. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i thought about the edge, but i forgot to list him... he had a decent year last year too, but i wouldn't take him over Lewis anyway

15. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'd say Braylon Edwards or Maurice Jones-Drew. You already have Frank Gore, which is solid; if you feel comfortable with his ability to produce going forward, then you should shore up your WR position and take Edwards. If you're nervous about Gore, then go with Jones-Drew.

Personally, I would take Edwards and then draft DeShaun Foster as a contingency plan for Gore.

arsenal likes this.
  16. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't know why Edge is so overlooked these days. He's in a run-first offense and is practically guaranteed at least 250 carries. I have no problems with Edge as a third RB, or second in some scenarios.

arsenal likes this.
  17. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    For regular leagues sure. But keeper leagues?

arsenal likes this.
  18. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i only keep 1 or 2 players though, so that really isn't a detriment...

but this is my last year of eligibility with Gore, so I would like another RB i can keep after this year... and Lewis might not cut it for that much longer... MJD looks much better when i think about it that way...

i could go that WR route with Braylon or Wayne and still prbably be able to get a Reggie Bush, Deangelo Williams, Michael Turner by the time i come around again with the number of RBs currently being kept... im starting to lean towards that again...

but then the question is which WR... Braylon now has this situation with Derek Anderson and if he'll be ok after last night... Wayne has the Manning questions...

hmmmmm, so many damn options... but i appreciate everyones help in this thread giving me different viewpoints

vmarcilfan75 likes this.