1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time in 32 years

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by miamiron, Sep 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Announcer's mentioned that NO TEAM in 32 years has won a game with such little time of possession of 14:53 seconds

Thanks defense...you allowed something that hasn't been done in 32 years of football:up:

Frumundah Finnatic and Fin D like this.
  2. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    The defense was terrible, but honestly I expected it be bad.

Also lets give the Colts credit. We are going to face 3 of the best offenses in the NFL our first 3 games. It's almost the perfect storm for the Dolphins. Our front seven is pretty much the same a last year, and our secondary is where all the change took place. So what do we get on the schedule early? 3 teams that can eat up an experienced secondary much less one that is trying to find an identity and get on the same page. With 2 new starters in the secondary we all new it was going to be a rough start back there. It wasn't as if the secondary played AMAZING against the Falcons. Matt Ryan just missed the wide open receiver 3 times. That game should have been a blow out.

I am hoping our secondary play improves over the coming weeks. I believe it will, partially because it couldn't get much worse :). I think these growing pains are going to pay off later in the season. Now will we still be in the playoff hunt that late? Maybe, Nobody in the AFC East is looking like they are unbeatable/ the runaway favorite. To get in the playoffs we have to win the AFC East, I don't think an AFC East team gets a wildcard spot. So can we win the AFC East? I think so.... maybe?! Is that enough conviction for you? :)

miamiron likes this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Pathetic for sure. Without our stellar offense, this game would have been a carbon copy of the Arizona game last year.

What is also getting overlooked in the loss is that the Wildcat was awesome yesterday. Jaworksi, Brian Billick and Deion can suck it.

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    how is it a gimmick when teams expect to see it? the Colts had no answer and we did nothing exotic with it, it was simple smash mouth football.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It was funny to hear Jaworski call it a gimmick, then sit quietly while Gruden gushed over it.

Gimmick plays don't dominate like that formation did last night.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  6. Luv_Pony_Express

Luv_Pony_Express New Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I just think that it gives the Dolphins two radically different offenses. To call it a "gimmick" is to miss the point, I think. The flea-flicker is a gimmick. The end-around is a gimmick. But the Wildcat is just a different offensive set that happens to use different personnel.

The way I look at it: if you have the personnel to pull it off, why not use them? It makes it that much harder for defenses to prepare for you. Not so much because they have to be on their guard for something sneaky, but because they'll be forced to juggle their own sets (and maybe even personnel) to match the situation.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The problem with running down the clock with long methodical drives is that if you only get a FG you then have to kick the ball to the other team. The Colts were eventually going to get the ball back and a field goal just wasn't enough on those possessions.

8. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You run the clock to setup future drives. The Colts D was gassed and he we not run out of time, we probably score a TD. I don't have a problem with kicking FG's on those long possesions, you just have to manage the clock better at the end of the game.

EDIT: And play better defense when you're fresh.

9. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Regardless of the wildcat...
    This defense did something that hasn't been achieved in 32 years

Is anyone listening...32 years or in the vicinity of 15,000 games

Teams just DON'T WIN WITH 14:54 TIME OF POSSESSION

Some people were calling this defense a top 5 defense this season

Now we go to the number one passing offense in the league with 330 yards passing per game...SD...If this defense plays like they did against Indy I wouldn't be surprised to see 450-500 yards against our "top 5 defense"