1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLAC to MP3 program

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Jt0323, Sep 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    anyone know any free programs i can use to convert my Flac files to mp3 without losing any quality? thanks!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i think foobar2000 for windows does it

i know soundconverter for linux does

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    From my own understanding, a FLAC file is already compressed (but with the ability to decompress it back to it's original state) so just changing it to MP3, you'd be compressing it even further.

Might want to decompress the FLAC to a WAV file first, then convert it to MP3.

I don't have a lot of extensive knowledge about audio codecs, I know more about video codecs... but I'm that's how I'm thinking this would work out. I've heard good things about the programs anlgp suggested.

4. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  5. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    There are many programs out there that will convert FLAC to MP3, but the best free converting software is Erightsoft's SUPER. I use this for all my file conversions, it does EVERYTHING. You will never need another converter. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

However, you need to be aware that it is NOT possible to go from a lossless format (FLAC, WMA Lossless, WAV) to a lossy format (MP3, WMA, AAC) without losing quality. They'll still sound good, like a normal lossy file, but they are by nature inferior to the lossless files.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That's what I thought. But isn't FLAC basically a compressed file that's used primarily to archive your music?

7. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    The short answer is yes. But it's also extremely good for PLAYING your music, too. It's easy to find a player for your PC, and more and more digital music players are supporting playback of FLAC files.

The main difference between WAV and FLAC is that FLAC is compressed. But it's still lossless, it maintains all the audio fidelity of the original master.

It's kinda like the difference between a straight ISO file and that same file being stored in winrar or zip. Bit for bit, they contain the exact same data, but one of them takes up a lot less space.