1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fletcher Cox Could Be Miami Dolphins’ Choice If Not Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    UCF FINatic likes this.
  2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I'd like him more than Coples. I would like this pick more than a lot of other ways we could go honestly. Him and Soliai side by side would be nuts.

Imagine:

Jared Odrick - Fletcher Cox - Paul Soliai - Cam Wake

Plus you have Randy Starks and Tony McDaniel on the bench that can sub in. You could even argue putting him in at DE and having Odrick Play DT.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think there is a forgotten man in this equation, and why I don't see the urgency to go dine at 8, he's the reason why I thought we would let Langford walk, and our new coach also thinks he's got himself a very interesting versatile player (very high praise) and that player is MCD..

With Starks, Odrick, Solai and MCD, your 4 man line looks good to me, and they all can switch positions and play in the 34.

While I think Cox is a fine player, I don't see the need on the team when we already have a 27 year old 6'6 300 pounder who's as strong as anyone on the team and who can play all positions along the front

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    That is a scary front 4.

5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll kill someone if we take an interior DLman. Even with the loss of Langford, its our deepest position. Soliai, Starks, and Odrick in the main rotation depending on down and distance... with McDaniels as further depth.

For the love of god, take a QB/WR/explosive pass rusher.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem is, there may be no Qb, no Wr and marginal passrushing prospects at that pick.

In that sense, Kuechly would make as much sense as Cox then followed by DeCastro..none of which spikes the fan interest meter even a little bit.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Fletcher Cox would represent the BPA with a very low bust chance. He ran like a 4.80 40 yard dash at the combine which is crazy for a man his size, not to mention his incredible bench press number.

Look at how the Giants beat the Patriots, they constantly got pressure with their front 4. This is a type of move that would allow us to really get after the QB. Think about it Soliai is HUGE and has decent speed/power and can get to the QB in his own right. It normally takes 2 offensive lineman to block Soliai. Then you have Jared Odrick that really came on as a DE last year (he had 6 sacks in the last 11 games as a 3-4 DE). If you make Odrick a strong side 4-3 DE I bet he gets to the QB more than that. Cam Wake is on the other side and we all know what he can do.... Add Fletcher Cox in the middle as someone that can constantly get up the field and apply pressure on the QB and the whole unit/defense gets better. If Fletcher Cox gets pressure up the middle the QB is going to have to drop farther back and Cam Wake will be there waiting to sack him. Football is a numbers game and I just don't see how you could block Cam Wake, Paul Soliai, Jared Odrick, and Fletcher Cox with only 5 OLman.

sws84 likes this.
  8. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    MY guess is they think Odrick can play DE and Cox at DT.

No QB worth taking at 8, WR class is deep, I would love Ingram but doesn't fit Ireland's draft mold.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Odrick can and probably will play DE. He used to play the position back at Penn State and he played the position well in the 3-4 last year. I actually think he could excel even more as a 4-3 DE on the strong side. He is strong enough to set the edge, good against the run, and he got 6 sacks as a 3-4 DE. I would love to see how many sacks he would get in the 4-3 honestly.

After looking at this draft, there isn't a lot of offensive talent in the 1st round in terms of value. Most of the talent is on the defensive side of the ball.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  10. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't get it. Isn't Ingram the same mold as Cameron Wake? Why would Ireland not like Ingram after having so much success with Wake?

seabass0795 likes this.
  11. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    One of Tannenhill/Floyd/Coples will be available...

Odrick is not a pass rusher you want coming off that weak side. Hes a much better fit at the 3 tech...

Tannenhill is worth taking at 8 IMO. WR class is deep, thats fine, but that doesnt mean you take a lesser player just b/c theres some depth at the position. And Coples would fit what we do...

12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only problem with that line is that none of them get to the passer consistently. Plus, if you're playing a straight-up 4-3, Cameron Wake probably isn't an ideal linebacker for that scheme.

I sort of envision front seven lineup reminiscent of what Nick Saban had here in 2005 with Cameron Wake playing the Jack LB or "Elephant" End or whatever you want to call it. Then you have Starks as a 3 technique, Soliai as a 1 technique and Odrick as the "Close" End. McDaniel is versatile enough to play at all three of those spots, and as we've seen with McDaniel since he's been here, he's a better rotational player. I think with Merling and Ryan Baker, you've got a few guys who can play in a couple spots as well. Maybe they take a flier on a later round/UDFA plugger type, like Ronnie Cameron or someone like that.

I still think Miami's got to find another guy to get after the passer whether it be Quinton Coples in a more traditional strongside 4-3 End spot or even someone like Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw who you can move around almost acting as a SAM in both the 4-3 and 3-4 fronts.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    DefCord would think Christmas came early with all of the Dline games he could run with that unit.

Problem with Ingram is he is a good prospect, but not a good value at 8, Coples is what he is.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  14. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I'd much rather have Ordick on the outside at DE and Fletcher Cox on the inside than Odrick on the inside at DT and Coples at DE... Plus Cox doesn't have issues with his consistency or personality like Coples has.

15. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I agree 100%. Ireland liked Wake and recruited him from the CFL. Ingram is just a younger Wake IMO. Their size only differs by about 2 inches. We should get Ingram

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah I want to see Odrick play DT and get Ingram. Wake-Odrick-Solai-Ingram. Yeah at 8 it would seem so. If Ryan Tannehill had more experience at QB I would consider it.

No I don't really want Odrick at DE but if Coaching staff think he can pull it off then what can you do.

Tannehill is 1 year or 2 years way from starting no way is he worthy of being taken top 15. Judging how the coaching staff feels about Wideouts I don't think they feel the way you do. I'd rather have Tannehill at 8 than Michael Floyd and that is saying something. Not a big fan of Coples I think Ingram is going to be better but time will tell.

17. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Odrick has any business being on the outside...

18. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So, in your opinion, if a QB isn't ready to start day 1... then he isn't worth a top 15 pick? Why do you feel that way? I very much disagree with that premise. It never used to be that way, and only until recently did that become more of a need as the salaries for the rookie QBs spun out of control. But now that they've been reeled in dramatically... you can once again go back to the days of actually developing a QB.

19. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I would love to know what you don't like about Floyd. I'm no fan of tannehill either but Floyd is a beast. I don't want to hear about the kid drinking in college. What about his game is not great in your eyes.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that's a good case, I do think you have a point about Bpa, but for me who happens to be a very high on MCD, I believe resources would be best served elsewhere, for me when I look at the team as a whole, and how I could impact it with all variables in play, I would select Kuechly at 8 and put Dansby and Burnett on the outside and have 3 linebackers that can play all three downs..We need linebackers..

What I do find interesting is how Armando came up with Fletcher Coxs name, I don't trust that pick all by himself, Maybe hes heard something and he wants to get on the record...Basicslly Cox is out of his league in the evaluation dept.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, quick story, a once wise old man called conifucus told me, Deej, what's happening to Odrick while his hands are active and furious?, I studied the guy over and over to find the answer, and it was right in front of me, while he does have excellent hands, his feet do not travel well, space is his enemy, and I believe he could be a better player on the inside, where he can use those hands.

22. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm not a huge fan either. He fails to separate and isn't great after the catch.

23. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Good point. Maybe this is all being drummed up to get Philly to potentially trade up with us for Fletcher Cox...

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Hell...nahh..I would be so pissed if Cox at 8.

25. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Pretty much. We need a QB. but Tannehill isn't worth the selection. He can't afford to sit he would play at some point during the year. I would rather have Weeden he would have an impact for this team.

I think Floyd is a good WR I just don't feel the need we need to grab one at 8 considering we don't really need a true number 1. Easily find a productive WR in rounds 3. Its a deep class.

26. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'll laugh my *** off.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Cox said on ESPN that he ran as part of the 4x100 relay team in high school.
    Pretty cool to think of, but not really relevant now since he is much larger than then. He does have an excellent size/speed ratio though.

If we took him, I'd think he'd be a LDE in the 4-3, or the 3-4. He has the feet and quickness to play end in either front and would be more valuable outside than inside, given our inside depth.

sws84 and djphinfan like this.
  28. MrClean

No he isn't.

29. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Why cant he afford to sit? There would be nothing wrong with him sitting for a year to develop. Carson Palmer did when the contracts were much higher and the salary cap was much lower... and he was the 1st overall pick with 3+ years of experience.

This recently fabricated criteria that the QB must play day one is bull IMO.

30. MrClean

I'd rather have Cox at strongside end and Odrick inside. Cox is faster and quicker than Odrick. Cox could play 5 or 3 technique equally well.

31. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Ingram: 6'1", 31.5 inch arm length, 264 lbs, 9 5/8 inch hand length
    Wake: 6'3", 32 inch arm length, 250 lbs, 9 1/8 hand length

They are pretty much the same size, Ingram is just 2 inches smaller, has an arm length of 1/2 inches less, more weight, and bigger hand length
    So yes they are the same mold

32. MrClean

What do you mean by that?

33. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009

I concur. Let's get ourselves an Urlacher-type to man our LB corps for the next 10+ years and not think twice about it.

34. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Tannehill is more raw than Palmer not even in the same league as Palmer... I don't think Ireland can afford to take a QB and have him sit for awhile. I wont be upset if we select Tannehill but I can see why we would pass on him.

35. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    with you on this one Clean... they are nothing a like IMO

36. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    so we are not going to draft a QB at all? There is no one that is going to come in and start from day one besides RGIII and Luck and we are not getting either of them.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, same noise was spoken about John Beck, that did not last.

We went 6-10, can we afford to not have any impact at all from the #8 pick in the draft?

And that is the problem with the lineman as the pick, or even Kuechly for that matter, have we not had enough of the drone type of player who may be a fine player but they do not score Td's?

38. MrClean

Ingram does not have the get off, upfield explosion, or onfield football strength that Wake has. Wake had an ungodly 45" vertical and a 10'10" broad jump. Wake also runs in the 4.6s. Ingram is just two inches smaller? That's a lot. If Russell Wilson were two inches taller, he'd be considered a top half of the 1st round QB. I've seen Ingram's arm length measured as anywhere from 29 7/8" at the SC Pro Day to 30 1/2" at the Senior Bowl and 31 1/2" at the combine. Wake at 32 1/2" arm length, according to NFLDS, could have two inches more in arm length.
    Have you ever seen Ingram line up with his hand on the ground at DE, and explode upfield and beat a LT around the outside edge 1 on 1, and make a sack? He bull rushes and counters pretty well sometimes, but he doesn't bend the edge like Wake can.
    He's most effective as a pass rusher to me, when he lines up at DT in the 4-3 and uses his spin move, which he uses about half time he rushes the passer from the DT spot. It works ok against some college guards but hard to say that it's going to work as well in the NFL.
    There are at least two front 7 players on SC who were better than Ingram IMO. I think he is a very good player, but not a comparable skill set to Wake. Wake needs to be attacking upfield to be at his best, and Ingram is at his best dropping in coverage or lining up all over to try and create mismatches. Ingram's best position IMO would be ILB in a 3-4 in a base defense and let him mix it up between coverage or pass rushing in the nickel.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I mean I don't trust that Armando found this kid from film watching, his name is not big enough..

40. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To be fair, Fletcher Cox's stock has been the hot name the past week. There's been a good amount of talk that he's on St. Louis' radar at the 6th overall pick. So I can see Armando getting wind of that and then marrying that news to the fact that Cox is a type of player that's all over Jeff Ireland's radar from a prototypical size standpoint. That, and the fact that in every draft period, save 2011, he's landed a player like that.

2008: Phillip Merling - 2nd round, Kendall Langford - 3rd round, and Lionel Dotson - 7th round.
    2009: Traded for Tony McDaniel, signed Ryan Baker as an UDFA.
    2010: Jared Odrick - 1st round. Brought in and later cut guys like Marques Douglas and Charles Grant.

I think it's Armando just doing some connecting of the dots, which in all actuality, isn't that far-fetched to begin with.