1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Residents. Help Request: wedding reception locations

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by His'nBeatYour'n, May 6, 2008.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I live in NY, grew up in Pembroke Pines, and my fiancee and I are planning on having a location wedding somewhere in Florida in 2009. We are heading down in June and are going to scout out some places in Orlando, and then everything we can down the coast from St. Augustine to the Keys in 5 days.

We will have the ceremony in some Catholic church where ever we decide, so we're really looking for a great reception site, preferably overlooking some body of water. Resorts, beautiful hotels, something reasonably removed from civilization. Something that evokes the Keys without being the Keys.

If any Florida residents have any ideas or places they experienced, I'd appreciate any and all help.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    walt disney weddings are awesome!!! Just throwin that out there bro, congrats!

3. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    We got married in a catholic church on Sanibel island and had the reception at the Tween Waters Resort just a mile or two up the road on the adjacent Captiva Island. The resort overlooks the gulf on one side and the waterway on the other. Actually it was on this date in 2000. :) And it was beautiful. The temperature was great and the day was perfect. Half of our wedding photos were taken on the beach and the sand, sun and sky look so good it almost looks like a painted backdrop. I highly recommend it if a beachy sunny theme is what you are looking for.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    congrats on your 8th anniversary bro!!!!! :up:

GoPhins! likes this.
  5. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    Thanks! And getting married in 2000 has made it really easy to remember how many years that I have been married. :)

6. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York

Happy anniversary! And thanks so much, I'm looking it up right now.

EDIT: That is exactly the kind of place we are looking for, thanks a lot brother.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
    GoPhins! and SICK like this.
  7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    glad you found a place that fits man, post pictures after the event!!!! :up:

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

hahaha that always works to the mans advantage!!!!! I got married in 07'

Damn odd numbers :pity:

9. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    My brother has a Disney timeshare that he has offered up for people to stay. So it is tempting, but we've had so many recent trips and a reunion there, that we are hoping to do something different. Though expense may eventually trump our desire for something different.

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Congratulations on the wedding bro.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

jK, bro. I grew up in Ft. Myers and can honestly say a Sanibel wedding would be awesome. If (thats a HUGE if) I ever get married it'd prolly be out there. GL man.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding and also congratulations to GoPhins! on your anniversery. Wish you all the best.

GoPhins! and His'nBeatYour'n like this.
  13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    great choice Sanibel... you come from Pembroke, so you are familiar with Miama, I thought to suggest St Augustine because it is such a cool place. I forget how beautiful that part of the gulf coast is sometimes, beachwise, as pretty as any anywhere.

14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Congrats on the wedding, bro.

15. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Sanibel/Captiva was my first thought as well. Lots of open spaces/secluded beaches, but you're close enough to civilization. It's one of my fave places in FL. And there are more than enough rooms for your guests, providing it's not summer. Lodging there can be sketch during the summer. Congratulations on your pending nupitals. I hope they are more than everything you hope for.

16. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I haven't lived their since I was a kid, and I wasn't exactly scouting out reception halls at the time. :lol:

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sanibel, and the Tween Waters Resort certainly hit the nail on the head as far as what we are looking for.

17. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I second Sanibel. I sort of favor the West Coast as it is, but if you want to get some gorgeous pictures of the two of you in front of one of those world class sunsets, that's the place.

There's got to be a ton of guys who can tell you something about the East Coast though. I'm sort of partial to St. Augustine for the history and architecture, but couldn't tell you any thing about a possible reception spot.

Either way, congrats Hisn

18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    HISN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see you here.....

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW HISN'...I am partial to the Florida Keys..............

Congrats or Condolences.

20. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Congrats man!!!!

Can't help you at all though...

21. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Truly great to see you too Sec, you can thank Que, he sent me the e-mail.

I have never been to the Keys, but that was the place we first dreamed about and wanted to check out for the wedding. We are planning on doing a fall wedding, and were warned about how tourists get kicked out at the sniff of a hurricane. With hurricane season not ending down in the Keys until the end of November, we are very weary of having 60 guest commit to going down there, making deposits, and ending up getting evacuated. Not to mention the stress and worry about that unlikely event happening.

But we still plan on checking it out, falling in love with the Keys, and moving the wedding into December. But if there is another location that is Keys-esque, that may be preferable in the end.

22. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Nothing like the Keys..and that stuff is really overblown....I regularly go to the keys int eh summer and never encountered any of those situations.

Thing abotu the keys is that there is so much there. From the sunsets and the romance of some of the oceanside restaurants....to the debauchery of Duval Street....to the world class fishing...to the poolside lounging you can do in any of the great Hotels...

23. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I'm still trying to convince her of that. Since most of the guests live in NY, we only have one shot, can't reschedule even a week later. Would rather spend what should be a fun time looking forward to the event rather than that being replaced with the paranoia of checking the weather every day. Had enough of that just going down for a Dolphins game with her.

Just booked our flight for June to do some scouting. 5 days, every major location we can find from St. Augustine to the Keys. Two greatest words in the english language? E and LOPE.

24. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Ft. Myers/Naples or any island on the west coast. You could try Singer Island off of Palm Beach, its nice, or Jupiter Island, a bit more north.

25. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Wish I could help brother but we got married in Hialeah and had the reception there as well at Celebrations ballroom :lol:

Anyway, I have heard that St. Augustine is pretty nice for weddings and we might renew our vows there in a couple of years so you might want to give that some serious thought.

Think Medieval Times when you think St. Augustine though...