1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz Dolphins news

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, May 8, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Although Pat White is likely No. 4 behind the Chads and Tyler Thigpen, Pennington said White's accuracy has improved. ``I've been on the field to see it,'' he said. ``He's throwing better. He has some tools. It's a matter of putting it all together.'' . . . CBS' Rich Gannon said the White package needs diversifying to work: ``I don't think Pat White scared anybody running between the tackles.''

Although Patrick Turner said he has improved, he remains a heavy underdog to crack the four-man receiver rotation. Sparano publicly blamed himself for not getting Turner on the field in 2009, but one veteran said Turner didn't show enough in practice to warrant it. Besides Turner needing to improve his route running and shake free of press coverage, Sparano said, ``I want to see him more aggressive with the ball when it's in the air.''

• When one team asked the Dolphins why they want to trade Justin Smiley, they said they want bigger linemen; Smiley (6-3, 310) is smaller than Nate Garner (6-7, 325), John Jerry (6-5, 328) and others. But teams know Miami is deeply concerned about his surgically repaired shoulder. Smiley hired Drew Rosenhaus to help his situation.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/...gton-re-signing-with-miami.html#ixzz0nOcAzD00

DolfanJake, MrClean, Disnardo and 4 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rich Gannon was a fine mobile Qb back in the day, he knows what he is speaking about when it comes to White running between the tackles..sort of...

Encouraging about White's accuracy, but "praise agendas" are nothing new this time of year and Sparano has said as much when asked about where White would be moved if he doesn't emerge as one of the three best Qb's:

per rotoworld.

3. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's a pretty huge assumption. I have no idea where they are getting that from.

unluckyluciano and Pandarilla like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    so your saying he didnt fail? he succeeded? i dont think so.

DolfanJake and Phinperor like this.
  5. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, despite the fact that I don't think he completely failed, no that wasn't what I meant. I meant that I don't know where they got that he won't be active in a similar role this year.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    similar meaning him being listed as a QB. with henne, penny and thigpen....i dont see how he will be "active" at all. but thats just me i guess.

7. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Does Patrick Turner have the work ethic of Jamarcis Russel?

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For 50 plays?

I'd say he neither failed nor succeeded, to small a sample to say one way or another.

To illustrate, Pat Cobbs played 65 plays last year, White was just not out on the field very often.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Until the Steeler game.
    I'll ask again if we need that game to get into the playoffs does Henne leave that football game. The answer is no. We gave white his shot.
    Disaster...

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Au contraire, at crunch time White was out there on the field instead of Henne in the Titans game on a must have 2pt conversion attempt.

Success, and that was with 52 plays.

11. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Don't be surprised when White emerges from camp as the #2 QB.

12. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I would be more than surprised. I would be beyond shocked. PW sucks. No other way to say it. If he improves to where he is #3 even, I'll be surprised. The guy is awful

DolfanJake likes this.
  13. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Surprised?

I'll be horrified

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Lol. Wow. This is the excitement last year's second rounder brings to fans.

DolfanJake and jetssuck like this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is the reality of what White has shown us so far. I don't care if he was taken #1 overall (well, really I would, but just as a metaphor), if he can't play at this level, which he has shown that he cannot, then he's a bust. His 55 or so plays were all nondescript and nothing that showed any potential ability in either the WCxQB or as a QB. I know that we have hopes that the light will come on at some point soon and he'll flash the ability he had in college, but it certainly hasn't happened so far. Not one flash worth. And additionally, even with slow-learners or slow-developers, you almost always see some kind of flash of their ability ??

As an aside, I was at Dan Marino's first TC practice back in the day. His first 7 on 7 pass play was a masterpiece. You could see that he was going to be special. He was not ready to start at QB at that point, but with those first plays, you could see that he had something that separated him from the other QBs in camp. Of course, it's unfair to compare White to Marino, and I don't mean it as a comparison other than pointing out that "flash" moment, when you saw something. Admittedly, I haven't seen White in person at TC or a game, just on film, but I have yet to see anything in the passing or run game that reminds me of his days at WVA... I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert or football guru, far from it. Just my personal opinion, based on what I see from this kid, but something is missing....I hope to God I'm wrong and he blows us all away this coming offseason and year...but tell me, has he really shown anything ??

Bpk and DolfanJake like this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wouldn't surprise me, basically Henne and Pennington flip positions on the Qb depth Chart, White would be expected to play in the WC with the chance for Thiggy to bounce him if he doesn't perform at TC.

10 days until OTA's and I'm looking forward to see if Penny was blowing smoke or if Pat White really has improved, he also needs work on his footwork as a Running Back:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stN4Ngb2SxA"]YouTube- Patrick White - Week 5 - 2009[/ame]

If folks will notice, when he drops back he sorta trips before he can reverse his momentum and run into the hole.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpSgh-jzhqc&feature=related"]YouTube- Pat White Miami Dolphins 33-Yard Run[/ame]

Arguably his best play from 09, but still one can tell that White's rb skills are touch crude as he doesn't run hard until he is in the open field, in the NFL holes close far to quickly for that to work consistently, he has to spend time with Rb Coach James Saxon imho.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhqHXMWd-0s&feature=PlayList&p=78AD4CB49EE45E13&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=14"]YouTube- PFTV 4/29/09: Will Dolphins Fans Accept Pat White As A Quarterback Only?[/ame]

And, once again, "move Pat White to Wr" was predictable a yr ago.

Bpk likes this.
  17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I believe the Pats are due for job description changes this year:
    1) Pat Turner: hybrid WR & TE RedZone threat, TE will be his ticket to stick in the up-cming season, shades of the Martin switch in GreenBay before he came to Miami
    (2) Pat White: (a) Special/Teams ( returns, holder, punter, trick plays) could be used @ scat back (passing/running options) WR & Slot on the receiving corp,once again, opens options
    (c)
    Unconventional Offense & 4th string emergency back up QB. versatility will be his ticket to stick, becoming a passing/running unconventional threat assure him of a roster spot. can always use an energy 4th string back-up QB, especially late in the season

they will have to find their way quickly, make their bones in 2010

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Why would White as the #2 mean Henne and Penny would flip positions on the depth chart?. What you're saying is if White is #2, then Penny is the #1. That makes no sense at all.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAF_ktK2e8&feature=related"]YouTube- Pat White Drafted by the Miami Dolphins[/ame]

They show some highlights of White throwing the ball, he hits his man on the out route consistently the ball has good velocity and accuracy, yet against Pitt he looked like a noodle armed Qb on his one pass.

Bpk likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Chad Henne as the starter

Pat White as the WC Qb and the #2 Qb

Pennington as the #3 Qb if Henne goes down.

To start 2009 Pennington was the #1 Qb, White the #2 and Henne the #3, in 2010...they flip positions...see what I did there?

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    White is not a NFL conventional QB, he will have to find other options :yes:
    our QB Stable:
    the Iceman, Chad Pennington, the Thigpen, Pat White as an emergency option

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Rotoworld is probably right here, the thing is bro they arent carrying 4 active Qb's on gameday, someone is going to be a healthy scratch, and most likely game in and game out, it will be White.....I dont see how he even makes the team....it is a waste of money at this point...unless he switches to WR, but even then I would much rather give Turner a crack, than White...

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    they will both get every chance to re-make themselves in a Dolphin uniform in 2010

24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    C'mon now bro. White was the #2 in 2009 based on a technicality. He had to be listed there to play in the wildcat. When Pennington went down in San Diego, who came in? Henne.

I've got to believe that Tyler Thigpen will be on the QB depth chart somewhere, so that probably means it's going to come down to Pennington or White. Which one leaves and/or what does White's new position become? I can't see the front office giving up on White, I'll give you that, and I think he can have a specified set of packages to have success with (i.e. certain wildcat packages, the option role from the first New England game, trick plays), but I think my gripe with it will be if that's all that White proves to be successful with. You should get more from a 2nd round pick than just specified packages.

MrClean likes this.
  25. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If one of Pat Turner's major failings is, as reported, his inability to be physical enough to beat the press and get off of the line of scrimage as a WR, then I don't see him playing (or surviving for that matter) TE.

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam tellin ya, Irish needs to have his *** kicked one time, lol...iam serious...at this point and time, I have no idea what we have as a General Manager...we want bigger olineman yet we sign Smiley to a 25 million dollar contract?...Wilford, Eric Green, Wilson...I really, really would like to know who made those decisions, because those are 4 players that I personally was not thrilled about when we signed them..

The only thing he's got going for him at this point is the fact that he may of hit the jackpot taking the combination of Jake and Henne over Just Matt ryan..

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

The FO has made mistakes, but I like how they correct those mistakes quickly.

DolfanJake likes this.
  28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That was by design though RF4, they are using the #3 Qb rule to it's maximum effect by designating White the #2 Qb and using him during games.

Just what do you expect from a #2 Qb? They typically hold clipboards and wear their hats to the back and have great golf games, they don't run the Option or the WildCat or what have you.

White does have to show some things during this Preseason, like much less hesitation, more explosiveness and better passing accuracy, that could be as easily Rookieness showing through last yr, however he is no longer a Rookie, his game has to improve or Thiggy holding a clipboard and wearing a Dolphins hat and never playing will appear to be the better option compared to White producing next to nothing as the WC/#2 Qb.

29. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I expect my #2 QB to come in and win games if my #1 goes down. Let's assume the worst; God forbid Henne breaks his leg againts the Bills week one. Do you really want to throw Pat White to the Vikings pass-rush week 2? Heck no. Do you want Chad Pennington in there? If healthy, yes, but that's iffy at this point. If that's the case, then Tyler Thigpen is your best chance to win the game. We can list Pat White at #2 to play the wildcat and specialty packages, but for all intents and purposes, Tyler Thigpen is your best bet to come in and win that game unless Chad Pennington's 100% healthy.

MrClean, Coral Reefer and Killerphins like this.
  30. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA

You could not be more wrong if you tried

31. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think we have to look at that from the 2008 perspective rather than 2010.

One thing we know about Parcells is that he builds from the line of scrimmage.

Coming off 1-15 and having one of the worst offensive line's in football, you don't always have the luxury of pursuing your prototypes.

Smiley is a bit small for us and had a long history of injury. But he was a highly experienced veteran who also happens to be one of the league's better pulling guards. I can't recall that class completely, but Smiley was one of if not the top offensive lineman available.

Remember, Miami was considering filling the open left tackle spot via the draft (Jake Long) and the smallish center (Satele) was entering his second year (third ever as a full-time center) following a rookie season in which he didn't even make the line calls. Not to mention the problems elsewhere on the line and the inherent lack of depth.

They really, really needed capable veteran stability at that position. So they made sure they got Smiley at midnight.

**Notice how we tend to do that at positions of extreme need (Dansby)**

Smiley was the first block in reconstruction the Miami offensive line. He played pretty well and provided excellent veteran leadership.

Two years later, the Dolphins have young veterans across the line and starting-caliber depth behind it. Now they have the luxury of pursing exactly what they want. In 2008, most of the interior line was small. Now you see tackle-size guys in there.

Think of it like the quarterback position on a rebuilding team, where they sign a veteran to hold the fort while they develop a hand-picked, prototype rookie.

From that perspective, the Dolphins got a good return on their investment in Smiley.

No front office is perfect. They all miss. They all make mistakes. But I feel like this one has gotten it right a lot more than its gotten it wrong.

DolfanJake, MrClean, 2xBlown and 2 others like this.
  32. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    he's sooo tiny,i just wanna put him in my pocket!

33. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Such a development would mean things are either going really good or really bad for the Dolphins.

Right now he's #4 as a QB. He's got to prove he's better than Thigpen in some facet of the game. Right now I don't think he is.

DolfanJake likes this.
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, let's flip that question around:

Chad Henne stays perfectly healthy all season, do you really want a #2 Qb whose only contribution is charting plays and being a scratch handicap Golfer?

Or do you want a #2 Qb who can offer offensive production on a week to week basis?

Take your Vikings example, chances are excellent the "Williams Wall" will be down for repairs in Wk #2, do you think it would be helpful if we ran the WC or PatCat that week? Their running defense will clearly suffer that game, how would Thigpen take advantage of that situation?

Besides holding a clipboard and wearing a headset that is to say.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i have said this very same thing many times and people still don't seem to get it. white as a #2 would be a disaster and pennington is the #3 now for a reason. he is not here to go in and be the backup qb he is a teacher these days. besides his arm could be a ghost for all we know at this point.
    thigpen is absolutely our best option as the backup QB.

MrClean likes this.
  36. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree with this by all means. As I said, you can go ahead and list Pat White as the #2 QB to run the wildcat, trick plays, specialty packages, etc. and/or move/list him to/at another position where he's active on gamedays to do those things - my main gripe is that that's probably not the value you want out of your 2nd round pick, especially considering this front office has found a starting QB (Henne), a starting CB (Smith) and what looks to be a starting OLB (Misi) in that same round.

But, if Henne was hurt, I'm starting Thigpen 10 out of 10 times over Pat White.

37. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    um we do have running backs padre :wink2:

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends on whether or not the Bill Polian theory that players make their greatest improvements from Yr 1 to Yr 2 applies to Pat White the all around player.

If it does then he could earn his worth.

And allow me to show what I think White the Rb problem is adjusting to the NFL:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stN4Ngb2SxA"]YouTube- Patrick White - Week 5 - 2009[/ame]

I posted that earlier pointing out his footwork was sloppy.

Now check out his WVa plays:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cURDu0_ss"]YouTube- Pat White: Four Plays to Greatness[/ame]

Same sort of runs on the first two highlights, straight up the middle (the 4th play is a nice throw into a tight window)

The difference between the Jets and the College defenses?

Notice how quickly that hole closes, the Dolphins Oline parted the Jest Dline, the hole was huge, but that small hesitation on White's part due to sloppy footwork and the speed of the Jest D simply snapped that hole closed before he could reach his best gear.

Pat White has to show he can run much harder and with more certainty, the stuff he got away with at WVa just won't work in the NFL if he doesn't improve his game..and that is just running the ball.

Eegads, the guy throws two TD's and two Int's and now he is Dan Marino awaiting his chance to start?

Henne goes down and Pennington steps in 10 times out of 10.

39. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    All excellent points boss, and that is the name of the game in scouting personell, to be more right then wrong, however, its hard for me to quantify what kind of job he's doing when he has a football genious giving him advice ya know?...Just speculation on my part, but I have a hard time believing that Parcells iniatiated the scouting for the services of Green, Wilson,Smiley, and Wilford...Those choices scream Ireland to me, and, I'am still a little bitter about his lack of couth and judgement in the Dez situation, maybe the embarrassment he has caused our franchise will check him in the human relations dept.

All that being said, I have so much respect for Parcells, that if he has chosen this man to be the man, he must see tremendous potential..

Question for ya brother, do you know how Ireland and Parcells got to know each other? was Ireland in Dallas already when Parcells got there,I don't recall their history.

40. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ireland has some family connections with the Cowboys:

"Ireland is the stepson of College Football Hall of Famer E. J. Holub, who played center and linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs and Dallas Texans. Ireland is also the grandson of Jim Parmer, who played for the Philadelphia Eagles and was a personnel executive for the Chicago Bears."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Ireland

djphinfan likes this.