1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz: experts weigh in on Dolphins before camp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    ``They're very weak at outside linebacker -- that group is in the bottom third of the league,'' Williamson said. ``Cameron Wake is still a liability with the run. Koa Misi has upside, but rarely do you see 3-4 conversion guys come in and light it up. I would have kept Jason Taylor.''

One personnel director said he's eager to see Charlie Anderson in an expanded role, and ``the one positive at linebacker is they're younger and more athletic. Everybody thinks Misi could be an impact player.''

• One personnel director rates Henne as a ``solid NFL starter'' but doesn't project him to be a top-half-of-the-league starter. The other director said: ``He'll lock on a receiver, force the ball and trust his arm too much at times. Accuracy is erratic, but most of his weaknesses are correctable.''

• One of the personnel directors said tight end must be upgraded eventually: ``Anthony Fasano is not a guy you can create mismatches with in the passing game. Teams do not worry about him.''

Evaluators like Channing Crowder's physicality, but one personnel director cautioned Dansby ``is not the most physical guy.'' Said Williamson: ``If there is one concern about Dansby, it would be when teams run right at him. In the AFC East, you have to be a banger.''

• Though the evaluators praised Vontae Davis, Williamson said, ``Miami doesn't match up real well with New England's three-receiver sets. And I'm nervous where the pass rush will come from. That's my No. 1 concern. The offense can take a dramatic step, but the defense might be going backward.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/...s-assess-fins-before-start.html#ixzz0sxN9cmU1

Larryfinfan, PhinsRock, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  2. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sadly enough you can't argue to much with what they said. I would argue that Henne can be in the top 10 among QB's.

OLB is a huge questionmark on this team. The good thing about youth at the position is that you might have gold there and not really know it. Wake may have really stepped up his run defense and understand the scheme better. Misi may come in and really be a dominate force and win Defensive rookie of the year? You never know what you really have in young players.

Bpk and jim1 like this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Most of those comments have been stated one way or another on the boards already. I know I've highlighted the part about Chris Clemons plenty of times, not that many people seem to listen. I've also been very cautious about Reshad Jones.

The stuff about Ronnie Brown is on the mark, though I would say he's a better player than Ricky. Ricky is a better pure rusher, but that really doesn't count for much in the NFL. Ronnie offers good blocking for a running back and excellent receiving ability, and it's not as if he's a slouch as a rusher.

Lastly, the bit about Chad Henne's arm being wasted without deep targets just makes me chuckle. No team in the NFL makes it a habit to throw deep... well, besides the Raiders, with predictable results. 20 yards is considered deep now. So Henne can't throw bombs to Ted Ginn? Big deal. It's just not that critical. Besides, Hartline's YPC is astronomical, so we have a deep-enough threat.

Good comments on the whole, especially about the defense, but Matt Williamson just has no clue. I guess that's why he works for ESPN.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Most Dolphins fans have questions about Clemons and are cautious about Jones, especially as a coverage FS. I don't have a problem with the quotes attributed to Williamson- he seems dead on for the most part to me, except for maybe his last point about the pass rush and the Pat's 3 WR sets. We'll have Davis, Smith and Will Allen this year to defend 3 WR sets, and I expect good things from Anderson, Wake and Misi in the pass rush. Hopefully and Odrick on the DL, too. Who knows- we'll see later this year, as always.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really nothing to disagree with in the write up.

My quibbles:

-Henne has had 13 starts a bit early to say that..

-Db's don't match up well with the pastriots 3 wr sets..har har..

-the passrush makes them nervous..

They are confusing unproven with not productive, we all watched the games last yr, Porter and Taylor would have a great game sacks wise, then disappear for the next 3 games.

In many ways, this is like the 2008 Dolphins team with competition for several starters slots, though I'd still love to add A Thomas.

I do really agree with the lack of a deep threat on the outside, but I also think those UDFA's and RGM are up for that role, Pruitt, Johnson, Wallace (whom I hope sticks) Grice Mullen..they have opportunity knocking at their door.

6. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think the most questions arise from the defensive side of the ball going into this year. With the exception of having that "deep threat" with Chad Pennington, the offense still found a way to keep the games close with ball-control, power running football. Yes, the offense.

So we have two issues here: young secondary with young rushers.

In the secondary, guys like Bell and Will Allen will have to play coach/player in order for this to work. I like what Davis has shown, but I am not sure how he is with the X's and O's. Smith does not impress me. Hope I am wrong.

With whomever Miami puts in the outfield with Bell, there will have to be some tough mentoring. We all know Bell does well in space but lacks a bit in the 'deep cover' category because of his lack of speed. I just do not know who Miami will put back there. I truly think they know they are taking a gamble in hopes it all pans out.

With the OLBs, well, I think it was just plain stupid to let JT go. He played admirably last year. He sometimes played the strong-side and set the edge pretty well; much better than I had expected. He also would not have cost too much. Who cares if Anderson or any other player would've had to wait? I sure as hell do not, because we know what we get with Taylor.

Now, Miami has question marks along the line. Again, they are less experienced and lack a legitimate mentor. These guys are going to go balls to the wall because of the competition. One problem I have with that is there might be times where a mentor could come in and show the young guys a few tricks. Yes, the coaches are there, but it's a little different coming from a fellow teammate. I am a little too concerned that there might not be that stepping-stone of communication from coach to older player to younger player; from someone who has been there and done that. I think Miami really missed out on that opportunity. Competition is a good thing, but who is the leader of the pass-rush/OLB clique? Cameron Wake?

We all know that a secondary's best friend is a good pass rush, and vice versa. Miami can get away with one being decent and the other being not-so-good, but if both play poorly, the season might be a long one.

Keeping the defense fresh is key this year. I hope Miami sticks to it's guns and continues to play tough, game-clock possession football. I do think Nolan will help, but remember, Nolan had some wily vets on that team in Denver. Where will the leadership come from this year?

7. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    We can't overlook the overwhelming youth of our team. We only have 3 starters above the age of 30 (Bell, Grove and Ricky.) The average age of our offensive starter is 26.3. The average age of our defensive starter is 25.3. Entering the 2010 season, our starters will average amongst them 4.04 years in the NFL, however 12 of the players listed below will be in their 3rd year or less. Looking at this team, there is a lot of youth, a lot of talent and a lot of potential. While I believe that we will contend for the playoffs this year, and possibly the division crown, I realize that we're also at least a year or two away from the Super Bowl. However, considering that 4 years ago we were one of the oldest teams in the NFL, with a 1-15 record, and are now one of the youngest, with playoff experience already under our belt, it's very exciting to see the turnaround and to have hope for a bright future where we get to see these guys grow up in front of our eyes and solidify this team for the decade to come.

Projected Starter (Age)
    QB - Chad Henne (24)
    RB - Ronnie Brown* (28)/Ricky Williams* (32)
    FB - Lousaka Polite (28)
    WR - Brandon Marshall (26)/Brian Hartline (23)/Davone Bess (24)
    TE - Anthony Fasano (26)
    LT - Jake Long (25)
    LG - John Jerry (23)
    C - Jake Grove (30)
    RG - Richie Incognito (26)
    RT - Vernon Carey* (28)

DE - Jared Odrick (22)
    DT - Randy Starks (26)
    DE - Kendal Langford (24)/Philip Merling (25)
    OLB - Koa Misi (23)
    ILB - Karlos Dansby (28)
    ILB - Channing Crowder* (26)
    OLB - Cameron Wake (28)
    CB - Sean Smith (22)
    FS - Tyrone Culver (26)
    SS - Yeremiah Bell* (32)
    CB - Vontae Davis (22)

dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

At this time of year it is hard to prove or disprove anything. Nothing there that hasn't been hashed over multiple times on these boards, one way or another. Good stuff though in this slow time of year, thanks for posting it.

jim1 likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree with it all
    Henne and the Fins will not fall
    Brown is a beast
    They'll own the AFC East
    Because the Sperm Whale 22 know how to ball!

:shifty:

frozenfin, dolfan7171, resnor and 4 others like this.
  10. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    magnificent

dolfan7171 and Fin D like this.
  11. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    basically they highlighted every single one of our weaknesses. The fact that the list isnt that long or intense is a good sign.

12. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    really can't say that I disagree with much of the article with a few exceptions.

1. We should NOT have kept JT. The made a play here and there but I don't think he is consistent enough to start.

2. I think we have the potential to match up well with the Pats 3 wide set. Unlike many Fins Fans I really like Smith, I think Davis is a play maker and if Will Allen can come back and give us anything we are going to have a very solid top three CB's.

Where I do agree with them is:

1. We don't have a starting FS on this team. It was a weakness last year and we did nothing to fix it. Get ready to see our defense get burned deep again.. all year.

2. Our linebacking corp is a joke, IMO When you play a 3-4 defense the linebackers should be the heart and soul of your defense. We have Dansby and a bunch of question marks.

3. We could use a TE but I dont think that is as pressing.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The 23rd would be proud.

Fin D likes this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who? What are even talking about?

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the game is played on the field:
    1) talent & depth
    2) strength & endurance
    3) attitude & aggression
    4) coaching & luck

four components that define a season

having said that..

let there be blood in the water
    & a feeding frenzy of the magnificent pod
    upon an unsuspecting NFL as they find
    themselves in troubled, uncharted waters
    l

be it as it may...

the pundits can predict or say anything they'd like
    our detractors can spew forth whatever venom
    but there will be a price for swimming w/the Dolphins in 2010
    by the time they figure out that Flipper is a KillerWhale
    it will be too late :yes:the brutality of the Orca will prevail

16. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Right on cue!

Fin D likes this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Beautiful

Fin D and resnor like this.
  18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got to love the pod

padre31 likes this.
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]

The answer.

I expect to see a true hybrid 3-4/4-3/5-2 from Nolan this season.

20. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    We are young this year, for sure, at first I thought it could create some leadership problems. But then again we do have mentors. Randy Starks had an amazing year as a pash rusher. True he is playing different position but I'm sure he could pass on some tips to guys like Misi. Then there is Crowder, Bell and Dansby. Also Vontae and Smith are no longer rookies. With our new and improved offense I don't think that our defense needs to be extraordinary for us to win games. With Nolan as our new DC I think we could be the 15th best defense in the game, and to me thats all we need. If our secondary can give up 3-4 less big plays and our pass rush can keep pressure on the opposing Qb's I think we will be in good shape with the AFC East crown or a wild card birth.

21. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Did enough to beat them at least once the last two years...