1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz: Paul Soliai

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, May 12, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Though the Dolphins need Paul Soliai as depth behind Randy Starks (before Jason Ferguson returns in Game 9), he has a small margin for error. Besides his two suspensions in 2008 (the result of tardiness), there were two incidents that went unreported in 2009: Once, a Dolphins official had to go to his house to wake him when he overslept and missed a meeting. Another time, he sustained a laceration when he punched a car windshield because he was angry about a non-football matter. The Dolphins privately said they have kept him only because they see so much potential.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/12/1624733_p2/stantons-power-intrigues-future.html#ixzz0niMHgzEb

dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

OMG, this isn't on PFT yet...amazing...

This is the first time I've heard any 'reasons' given for his suspensions. All along it's been assumed it was for weight issues. Even tho it's very specific in what Jackson has said he had issues with, I can't believe that a) it's stayed out of the press this long and b) that they've dismissed it as "keeping him around strictly due to his potential"....

Sounds like looking for a story to me...

3. Larryfinfan

Sorry, fat fingers...hit enter too soon...

However, if true and with Fergy's suspension and their inability to get Dan Williams in the draft, could be a good reason to keep him around at least for this coming season. Even with moving Starks, they still needed another body in there to rotate with him. I keep hoping this kid will wake up and realize his potential. I've been supporting him because it takes 5-7 yrs (as history has shown) for most NTs in this 3-4 to grow into the role. Think of guys like Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Casey Hampton, Fergy, Big Sam Adams, all NTs that took about 7 yrs in the league to become special at their positions. There are very few that have impressed as young players, perhaps Haloti Ngata is one of those exceptions. Even Wilfork has had some ups and downs at the NT spot in his early career.

Hopefully this kid wakes up and starts living up to his potential. We'll see.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Barry Jackson is the best down here with Dolphins news, I wouldn't call this looking for a story. It's especially relevant since Starks got moved to NT, Odrick was drafted 1st round, Dan Williams not drafted 1st round, Nolan now our DC, etc. I would imagine that the tidbits were buried for a while and now released because Soliai succeeding or failing matters even more now, given the Ferguson suspension and how the draft went down. I might think otherwise about the story if Omar Kelly or Armando Salguero wrote the piece, but Jackson is a cut above them, if not more. Personally I'm glad to be aware of what's going on with Soliai- let's face it, it matters if he cuts it at NT or flames out of the league. Dude is just about out of chances.

5. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    If these facts are true then it defintely shows a pattern of lack of comittment on Solaii's part. With Starks move to NT it seems that their patience with Solaii may be running out but it still leaves the question as to why they didn't address NT in the draft. I guess they still think there is hope for Solaii.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if you were'nt selected by the regime, then you better watch yer back...

crowder, you hear me SON!!.

7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

If this all they have on Solai it's not even worth reporting.

None of this should put him on the "problem list".
    Suspensions for tardiness are valid but hardly worrisome events.
    Punching a windshield? Who cares. People get frustrated. It happens.

Looks like Solai needs motivation which may be an issue which keeps him from excelling but you can't call him a problem player.

As for the reporter saying they've only kept Solai because of his potential......... Duh!
    That's why they keep any player. Hysterical! :lol:

siciliansith likes this.
  8. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Are you serious? Soliai definitely shows through his behavior that he has problems... A lack of desire firstly as well as self-discipline. If my boss had to come wake me up I don't think I'd have a job...

Honestly it sounds like he still needs to grow up and be a man!

jim1 likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Soliai will do well this season

10. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Of Course I"m serious.

As I said, he shows motivation issues but it has been discussed that he is a "problem player" which insinuates off field issues. If all they've got is above then it's pretty much proven that he is not a "problem player".

He needs motivation and direction.
    Commitment issues maybe but not a problem player.

11. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You telling me you NEVER slept through your alarm clock?
    I won't believe it.

Additionally I'm not excusing the motivation issues.
    That is what I pointed out as valid.
    There were rumblings that he had off field issues as well and I don't see any based on this.

If the staff can motivate him he'll do well.
    If not he will waste his given talents.

siciliansith likes this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    It shows a continuing negative pattern of behavior, which is most certainly relevant and an issue.

And wouldn't you consider "commitment issues" to be a huge source of concern as they apply to a professional athlete?

13. Larryfinfan

Meh...we can agree to disagree on Jackson. But he knew that releasing that info was going to start a frenzy, not only on fan forums like this one but with the other so-called media guys, like Kelly and Mando... It's just a matter of time before one of these other guys comes out with a full blown story, based solely on those few lines that Jackson wrote...

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Uh.... Barry Jackson is the best down here, easily.

FinFan316 likes this.
  15. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Sigh....

For the 3rd time.
    I acknowledge the "commitment issue" as a legit concern.

What I stated, 3 times now, is that there were rumblings that Solai may have off field issues. The only thing mentioned here is punching his own windshield because he was mad. My comment to "If that's it, this isn't news worthy" was based on that.

Motivation issues may or may not be worked out with coaching while a thug is a thug no matter how much coaching you throw his way.

Solai seems to be limited to questions of motivation.
    Clearly though they have seen enough to continue to keep him in the system and try to harness his potential.

16. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Of course, but the boss picking you up? You ever been there? Not me... I hope the guy can grow up but that appears to be the problem and yes, I would consider maturity issues a "problem player". He is a highly paid professional. All the politics and whatnot are part of their responsibility as a highly paid professional. Obviously that would be how the league sees it as well.

This shouldn't be on the staff to motivate the guy, if he hasn't figured that out by now then he never will.