1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz: supplemental draft news

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    • The Dolphins last week attended workouts for the top two players in Thursday's supplemental draft: BYU running back Harvey Unga (Miami already is deep at that position) and Illinois 6-2, 315-pound defensive tackle Josh Price-Brent, who had three sacks and three forced fumbles in 12 starts last season but was ruled academically ineligible. ``He's a good defensive lineman, a third- or fourth-round pick,'' said former Cowboys executive Gil Brandt of NFL.com. ``But I doubt Bill Parcells would take a player in the supplemental draft.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/...florida-marlins-to-be-open.html#ixzz0tckMPV6W

2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Agree with Brandt, just don't see Parcells taking someone in the supplemental draft.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It will be interesting to see if it happens, nonetheless.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

If they took a flyer on the big DT, even if it's just a bid and someone else bids for him at a higher round or whatever, it would speak some volume as to what they may think of Soliai/Fergy/Starks at NT....

As to Unga, I'm not very knowledgeable of him, but if they like him they may take a flyer as well based on the pending end of the season contract issues with RW and RB, that plus the tenuous return from injury by Cobbs. Anyone know if Unga can or has returned kicks or punts ??

5. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not saying Miami will take anyone , but I can't see why Gil Brandt says Bill Parcells would not take a player in the supplemaental draft.

I can see he may say , not likey to , but if the value is there ?

If you can get a player 2 rounds lower than what he probably would go in the regular draft , you have to consider it if the player meshes for you , don't you?

I highly doubt Miami makes a move , but that blanket statement just is too general a throw away comment imo.

Pandarilla likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you take a player in the supplemental draft, then you lose that pick for the next draft. Knowing how this management is with keeping their picks, it's highly unlikely they would take anyone in the supplemental draft, let alone high. What's the most likely scenario for them acquiring Unga is to see if he can last all seven rounds and then sign him as a FA.

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Unga is tempting, but I don't believe Parcells will go out on a limb like some other teams will.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Unga will be a Dolphinj if the chips fall right

DolfanJake likes this.
  9. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    management likes to keep their picks to draft players... using one of those picks to draft a player isn't like trading it away for an older veteran, your saying Parcells wouldn't draft a guy with a draft pick now because then he couldn't use that same draft pick to draft someone else later? haha that makes no sense...

if we like a guy enough and he lands where we feel his value is set, we'll take him... we save draft picks to draft guys, and thats what we'd be doing...

DolfanJake likes this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Drafting a player in the supplemental draft is like taking an advance payment to next years's draft.

The problem is that one is tempted to overdraft a player because there are not many to look at plus there is usually some baggage that come with said players.

I dont think we will be tempted especially as we dont have a dire need at the positions available unless there is an injury situation such as Cobbs that we are not aware of yet.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It does make sense because the class could potentially be deep enough to make you keep that pick and possibly draft a more talented tailback.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Unga is not a replacement for Ronnie or Ricky IMO. He's a backup RB at best. I wouldn't pay more than a 5th rounder for him. anything higher, keep the pick and rely on Hillard and Cobbs.

ToddsPhins and alen1 like this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sixth rounds have gone by and nothing on Unga. - Per Calfishman's link @ PFT

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Unga to the Bears, Price-Brent to the Cowboys, both 7th round.

Moving on...

Pandarilla likes this.