1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flynn not getting tagged?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Feb 26, 2012.

1. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I don't know what to believe anymore.

Can't post the link though.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    never believed it BT, I didn't think they thought, that others believed, that he was worth a high round draft pick and the contract..

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We have options at Qb?!?!?

:lol:

Flynn won't be tagged, the real question is his contract number and his skillset, can he drive an offense, or is he Matt Cassel jr, not a bad Qb, not a great one either.

4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I also read the same reports you seem to have read. This really doesn't surprise me because I just can't see the Packers offering Flynn a $14,000,000 contract as their franchise player in hopes that someone will trade for him. If they franchise Flynn and no one is willing to make a trade for Flynn, the Packers would have serious problems with the salary cap. In fact it is my understanding that they are going to have to cut some players or restructure some contracts just to have enough salary cap space to sign the players they select in the draft.

While it appears Flynn will soon be free to sign with any team he wants to sign with, I still have no idea if Philbin thinks he is the answer at the QB position for the Dolphins or not. The next few weeks, with the Colts decision concerning Manning and the beginning of the free agency period, should be very interesting for all Dolphin fans.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I have reservations about Flynn.
    don't think he is the next Tom Brady...
    (other than being a low draft choice)
    he has been surrounded by an excellent football team
    with the right coaching & had a couple of good days
    this does not make a Franchise QB

of course this is a meaningless opinion
    I defer final judgement to those that know him best
    those who will win or lose by him ...
    having said that
    from my limited perspective, I bet we go with Manning/Tannehill

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    So, you don't think Joe Montana was a franchise quarterback? Because he was largely a success because of the system he was in, the players around him, and the coaching he received. Same thing for Steve Young. He was an abject failure in Tampa Bay. He goes to San Francisco and gets tutored by Bill Walsh and integrated into that system. He becomes a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Matt Flynn has shown very well in the system he will be asked to run in Miami if they decide to pursue him. His footwork is close to perfect for the system. He can make all the throws that this system requires him to make. He has very good accuracy in the short to intermediate range. He has the ability to extend the play with his feet when his primary, alternate, and outlet options aren't there. He's a solid leader who lead his college team to a national championship and four come from behind wins in his senior year at LSU. He came out in the 2008 draft where many people are convinced that game manager Matt Ryan is a legitimate franchise quarterback, and at that time, I was telling people that Matt Ryan wasn't the end all be all of quarterback prospects and it is very likely that a late round pick such as Matt Flynn will end up being the best quarterback from that draft. Based on what I've seen from Matt Flynn in that Packers system, he is not only better than Matt Ryan. He's far better than Matt Ryan.

FinSane likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    KB, Young was not an abject failure in Tampa, he actually was better than the team around him, but when you add Vinny Testaverde with the #1 overall, that was the end of Young in Tampa, back in the day on the WC of Florida the Bucs games were on all the time so I watched him play.

Now if you want some real fun, Jake Long could very well be this generation's Paul Gruber..:lol:

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Young was one of the first guys I remember saying was in an ill-fitting system. I said when he that trade went down that he was going to be really good in SF.

padre31 likes this.
  9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Steve Young in his Tampa Bay career had a less than 55% completion percentage and threw 11 TDs to 21 INTs. Yeah, he was great in Tampa Bay.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rafi si right KB, if you watched the games you saw his game, but the team was horrible, Young was literally running for his life on every passing play, and the Wr corps was dreadful.

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'll take that bet. NO way in heck that happens.

12. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

You're probably right but that would be the best case scenario. I really want Tannehill at 8 but I don't think he has enough experience yet.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree. I don't think Manning is coming to the Dolphins, but if he does, there is no way the Dolphins will waste their first round draft on a QB who will never be anything more then a backup in the NFL. Especially when they will already have Matt Moore in place as their backup to to Manning.

14. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I could live with and may even prefer
    Moore/Tannehill. Moore ina contract year will want to prove he is a legit starter in the league and tannehill gets a yr to learn. Tannehill has raw talent with a huge ceiling. I kinda like that scenario.

Love RGIII but not for 3 #1's

rafael likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    not getting tagged speaks volumes to the value the packers give him

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not really. The decision is often as much about cap space and what else you have. The Steelers absolutely want to keep Wallace, but can't afford the tag without gutting their team. GB might be able to just squeeze Flynn in, but would be done in FA if Flynn signed the tender and they couldn't trade him. They also couldn't resign any of their other players. The general belief is that Flynn would garner a 2nd in a trade and that if they just let him go they would get 3rd in a compensatory pick. It's simply a poor idea to risk being able to do what they need to do for the rest of their team for the possible gain of one round. It wouldn't matter if they personally felt Flynn was the second best QB in the league (after Rodgers), that risk/reward calculation would be the same. Therefore, not franchising Flynn is a reflection of that calculation and says nothing about what they think of Flynn beyond, them thinking that Rodgers is better (not really a big surprise).