1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Follow-Up - Draft Prospect Tony Washington Still Available

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

He's still working out, "waiting for a call that will likely never come".

This is the kid Simon profiled pre-draft as a good tackle prospect who made the mistake of having sexual relations with a relative as a teenager. No team will touch him as he is toxic to public image.

But with how bad our depth at tackle is looking, and with this kid still out there, I wish we would consider brining him in for a look. Heck, we could hook him up with a good therapist too.

Here's an ESPN write-up on Washington from August 31st, just a couple of weeks ago. It is a HUGE article and I posted a bunch of excerpts, but the article is about 10 times as long as this and I highly recommend reading it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

Honestly, it reminds me of Ricky Williams' story at first... but then it just keeps getting so much worse. He's like Michael Oher from "The Blindside" if a family HADN'T saved him from his siutation. Perhaps a teammate like Williams, with sexual molestation in his background, would be a good mentor for this kid.

I don;t know if the Dolphins interviewed this kid at the combine, but it sounds lik he would be great for this team, and that the team would be great for him, as it could help him really continue healing and growing as a man. Who doesn;t like a redemption story? I wonder if the fear is that he still loves his sister more than platonically?

Anyways, this is all a PR issue. I think we've shown we will step beyond PR lines at times (Incognito, Brandon Marshall to an extent). But this is WAY outside the lines.

Should we be brave enough to sign this kid?????

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I bet Dungy would have signed this kid and the media would praise him.

Fin-Omenal and Bpk like this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Funny you say that Buckeye, because as I posted this I thought about Tony Dungy. He is all about second-chances.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just Talkin' here Bpk, but here is an angle:

Ireland should at least bring Washington in for a workout to show that he is fair after the Dez Bryant momma stuff?

I do think the UFL is his best bet, if they signed Clarett and Willie Williams, Tony Washington should get a shot in Hartford?

You know, Hartford, the Dolphins minor league team...:shifty:

Bpk likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO Washington represents what's good in people and what we should strive to become like, not persecuted. Continuing to persecute the guy only shows the bad in the rest of us. Society is the one who should be persecuted here for not rewarding this guy for both striving to become a great person and giving his "all" to reach his dreams. He's the PERFECT kind of guy who an example COULD be made of to show other kids, who've had rough upbringings, that there is indeed hope if you want to turn your life around. Continuing to persecute Washington is only sending the message that, no matter what effort you make to become a better person, you're fu@#ed, so what's the point in trying!!

The media, who would attempt escalate this out of proportion for headlines, can go f#@k themselves.

Anonymous and Bpk like this.
  6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I think he deserves a second chance he is talented I think its wrong the way he has been treated.

Bpk likes this.
  7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm surprised Dungy hasn't endorsed him yet or at least made some calls to some teams and reach out.

Bpk likes this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMHO, signing a guy like this could very easily be spun into good PR.

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yup, I think he could easily contribute on our Oline.

You think if we the fans petitioned to Dolphin FO to give this guy a work out?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That would be awesome! We should do one here on the Phins. Start a thread and have everyone add their name to it, then print it out and send it to Tony.

This would make for one hell of a tear-jerker scene if a petition worked AND his life were made into a movie. LOL.