1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football banned!?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by finz810, Oct 16, 2009.

1. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

Ok I just got back from class and I put on ESPN. PTI happens to be on, and what do I hear? Some loser who looks like a crazy man is on talking about how Football will be banned or will wither away like boxing did. Why? you ask. he says because of the disabilities it creates later in life.

I wanted to smash my TV. DUDE **** YOU WHO EVER YOU ARE!

Football aint goin no where.

did anyone else see this? his article which he wrote about this was in NY.

SargeZ33 likes this.
  2. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    This is where it starts. The government will soon take everything over.

Themole likes this.
  3. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Football will never be banned. Boxing withered away because of the lack of even talent and likeable boxers. Just look at the success of the WWE. It causes premature death in its people, and its stronger than it ever has been.

That guy probably never had a daddy growing up, and was a complete mama's boy. He probably asked his mommy to be on the football team, and she sent him to home ec. instead.

finz810 likes this.
  4. finz810

I'd have no reason to live if they took football away lol...in all seriousness, really I'd lose it

5. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

Even if the NFL was as unpopular as Boxing one day, there will just be something more violent to take it's place.

Boxing < UFC

Football < ...???

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    football will never go anywhere.....wayyyyy too much money, fantasy football, merch., tv deals, marketing, gambling (huge one), and honestly wayyyy to many white/old/republican/rich owners that would never allow anything to ever happen to it

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thats not true.

8. finz810

good point, I never expected anything to happen to Football, just hearing that pissed me off

9. RunRickyRun

RunRickyRun New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Yeah- Like the XFL!

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yes it is.

11. finz810

hows that not true????

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    ratings say otherwise.

13. finz810

what do ratings have to do with UFC being the more violent upgrade of boxing?

14. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    oops misread your post. sorry about that.

and given id say they are about equal.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    you mean 1 or 2 big ppvs a year compared to 1 a month? or the ratings they get on TUF tv show? or ultimate fight nights on spike?

just sayin :shifty:

16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    ok now compare all those shows to the countless number of boxing such as friday night fights, the one on versus, on mexican tv, etc. :up:

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Bottom line is that elite boxers would walk into the ring with these other type fighters and put on a boxing clinic.

Larry Holmes in his prime would be knocking them out as fast as you could send them into the ring.

18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    As far as football being banned, it's just too popular right now. The only way it fades is for popularity to wane and something else replaces it.

Which given the way foreigners keep pouring into this country, could happen. A 100 years from now, soccer might reign supreme here, as is it does in the rest of the world.

I hope not....but it's not unimaginable

19. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Muhammad Ali in his prime wouldn't last a round in this sport, against light heavyweights.

boxing is destroyed. its unwatchable, ruined by sleazy criminals. the sport is crooked and weak. its a sad sad thing actually. and the fertita bros near monopoly on mma scares me as well, as this sport is still in virgin territory. hopefully it stays that way for as long as possible.

who cares about floyd and manny hugging and thumping with 18oz pillows on their hands for a boring *** hour. and thats their superbowl. god, i dont think i could name one heavyweight boxer right now. are the klitchkos still in it?

this is what happen when you arent protected by an organization. and fortunately, the NFL shouldn't suffer such an awful fate as the once great sport of boxing.

20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah sure. by the way i have some land to sell you. :lol:

jetssuck likes this.
  21. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Only if boxers are immediately tackled......toe to toe, on their feet it's a huge mismatch. Elite boxers these guys aren't.

Edit*

But I agree, the state of boxing is very sad considering it's history...

22. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    oh! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on his sprawl and take down defense in that case?

the man would be on his back in seconds, and itd be over from there.

23. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    of course. dude, K1 guys CRUSH mma guys, when they cross over and do K1 promotions. no mma guy could throw hands with a pro boxer.

but a boxer vs a mma guy in either an mma fight, or a street fight....

24. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    its a nightmare. i loved boxing back in the day. i cant watch it anymore.

i mean, i could watch local guys training in the gym, or some amateurs, thats great. but pro boxing is, to put it best, sad.(for many reasons)

25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    and btw....where is this land you speak of???:yes:

26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    unless he lands a shot in the standup. then you can kiss your jaw and mma career good bye. Please put a top boxer in mma ring teach him a wider stance I bet they'd tear through half the organization. Put an mma fighter in a boxing ring teach him a closer stance, they'd still get torn up.
    But feel free to tell me how I'm wrong as mma is the end all be all.

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For real, that kind of stuff would get you mad street cred there. You'd be the king of POFO.

28. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    theres no clean shot on a shooting wrestler. Ali's cork screw punches were revolutionary, but they're not ending anyones career. And you could teach Mayweather ground defense, and widening his stance for 18 months straight, he's still gonna be a fish out of water, and won't be able to rely too heavily on his pugilistic skills.

And I think there are a handful of guys, "Anderson Silva", who would fair rather well in boxing.

MMA isn't the end all be all, its just waaaaaaaay better than boxing.(as a pro-sport)

amateur-wise, its totally up to opinion.

SICK likes this.
  29. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Are you telling me when they shoot they don't leave themselves open to an uppercut? Plus what makes you think they would even catch the boxer. You're talking about guys who know footwork and practice it daily.

anderson silva, gsp, maybe even penn I'll give you but those guys are champions for a reason, mainly because they have great technique.

Sure in some fights its better, in alot of other ways its lacking.

amateur-wise you can't even compare boxing to mma. Boxing has tons of amateur league and fighters.

30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

a boxers footwork couldn't clear a shoot. a good wrestler gets knee/thigh level, and cover 5+ yards of space. a boxers footwork does not cater to that criteria. and neither do upper cuts. itd be impossible to throw an uppercut that low with anything on it, against a tucked, secured, forehead that is knee level. its the same reason MMA guys dont throw uppercuts against shoots. And there are plenty of pugilistic mismatches in mma.

the rest, i agree with. although each amateur level is way different. depends if we're talking about a kid at Tiger Shulman's or Golden Glovers.

31. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This thread is going places.

32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ya hopefully here.......:shifty:

[​IMG]

i got $20 on seth

33. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    a boxers footwork would because boxers are taught to back their opponents up, move to the side safely etc.
    mma guys might not throw an uppercut as they prepare to take the fall.

mma doesn't have the amateur build up boxing does. golden gloves, the olympics, etc, not even counting those that leave the country to fight in other tournaments. It doesn't compare. MMA doesn't have the history yet.

34. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    id bury him. :lol::tongue2:

35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    psssht. id knock you out with one of my farts

36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well you got me there............

37. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    they never prepare to take a fall. fighters dont admit defeat and let themselves get taken down. they try to combat it the only way possible, by sprawling. a boxer just couldn't get away fast enough from a single leg. all he could do is sprawl too. that or just never get within 10 feet of the guy.

38. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I moved this to other nfl.. then it became nothing to do with football so I moved it to other sports, now it is drifting loungish...will you guys please decide what the hell you're going to discuss. :shifty:

sarge... please, no more partisan pot shots, especially in the Miami Dolphins forum where this began. It was reported and I had to follow the damned comment through the thread and delete it out of quotes and delete retaliatory posts... please bro.

39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i dunno, hey guys....wanna get it going towards favorite vacation spots?:shifty:

Sethdaddy8, unluckyluciano and cnc66 like this.
  40. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    its not admitting defeat. and you better prepare yourself or you will fall wrong. sprawling is how you fall right. if you know they are taking you down you do what you know as a fighter, which for judo, jiu jitsu is taking the fall right.