1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For all of you haters out there that said this season was a letdown

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If that were even remotely true how do you account for us losing by a touchdown or less in 7 of 9 games, given that we had the toughest schedule in the NFL?

We essentially ended the season on a 5th string quarterback (counting Brown)and although Thigpen did make a stupid mistake in the final game trying to force the win he showed that he is better than many of the starters out there. Losing Ronnie Brown killed the Wildcat and forced Williams to play much more than his age would dictate. Our receivers, who were bashed all season adjusted well to Henne's ridiculous throwing power after a few games and looked like a solid core down the stretch. The deep touchdown pass to Ginn that was called back for tripping showed what a true threat our team could be when clicking on all cylinders, and overall for a bunch of rookies and usual benchwarmers to come out and play at that level on offense...there should be no complaints.

We had some rookies starting on defense that gave up some big plays while adjusting to the NFL's speed on every play, and that ended up being the difference in 8 of our 9 losses. How can you say because a guy got burnt deep once or twice in sixty minutes means that the entire team did not play all four quarters hard? It is demoralizing to come out and play tough over a long series then have a huge pass for a touchdown, and it happened in almost every game this season....yet in 14 of 16 games we either won or lost by less than 7 points, and one of those two games was a last second meaningless score by Buffalo. Overall our defense kept us in all but one game, and given our schedule you cannot ask for much more than that.

I live in SC (although I grew up in Davie, FL) and rarely get to see the games on television. I usually watch them on Medephin's channel and by the 2nd quarter I usually turn off the chat completely because of so many are bashing the Fins and making demoralizing comments. To all the negative comments all that I can say is we were about 12 mistakes and two bad ref calls away from a 15-1 season. Until you play the game and see how difficult it is to produce on every single play, you will have absolutley no idea how good our '09 team really was.

I salute you Miami Dolphins....thanks for one heck of a season.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That's a bit of a reach, IMO. Do you really consider Ronnie a QB in any way, shape or form because he threw a handful of passes?

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    That entire post was a reach......especially calling ppl "haters" because they expected a little more out of the team.

Rick 1966, late again and GARDENHEAD like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I agree, in fact some out here would say White was not a QB also.

MonstBlitz, jetssuck and Fin-Omenal like this.
  5. Ross Ohlendorf

Ross Ohlendorf Banned

Nov 19, 2009
    Always love your fuzzy math
    try 46-34, 19-7, 31-14, 27-17, 23-13
    looks like they lost by double digits 5 out of 9 games
    nice try...

SICK likes this.
  6. Ross Ohlendorf

Ross Ohlendorf Banned

Nov 19, 2009
    And the last 3 games weren't as close as the final indicated. They were hammered in the biggest games of the year by 3 non playoff teams.

7. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Sounds like the glass is half full.

8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i appreciate the sentiment though. we lost a lot of close games. our worse loss was by 17. 1 single loss by more than 2 scores barely more. the colts cant even claim this. no one drubbing us like the Giants, with hose crazy 41-7 losses. We hung in and were in every single game until the 4th quarter this season. and we were in the hunt until the last game of the season. despite our tough schedule and ridiculous injuries, i was impressed by this team. what excuse did Tennessee have for going up to NE and losing 59-0 ? Never embarrassed, nothing to be ashamed of. We have a bright immediate future.

9. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well said...and proof that it's possible to be positive and make a statement without ragging on other posters or trying to force your opinion down their throats.

See, you're gonna be popular here in no time :hi5:

10. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I don't buy the morale victory sentiment.

How many close games did we lose in 2007? That team was miserable, but I remember people attributing the lack of wins on the schedule to a lax TC run by Cameron that summer. Whatever.

The point is, the ability to finish in the NFL is what separates the good teams from the bad. This Dolphin team did not find ways to win down the stretch in tight contests. The same can be said for almost any team picking in the top half of the first round in April's draft.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  11. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not as close as the finals indicated? Sure, they got hammered in the first half but they fought back and made those games as close as the final score would lead you to believe. Games are not just played in one half, they had a legitimate shot to win all three toward the end of the game. Heck, one of the three was lost in overtime.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  12. Ross Ohlendorf

Ross Ohlendorf Banned

Nov 19, 2009

Please. The colts rested players the last 2 weeks. 2 meaningless games w/ meaningless outcomes. And the steelers didn't lose a game all season by more than 7 pts and I think that only happened once And probably a bunch of other teams too but this little tidbit is completely meaningless and not even worth
    looking up

13. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    We lost nine games.

We didn't make the playoffs.

It was a letdown.

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I disagree - plain and simple.
    I think we have plenty to complain about and I'm nothing even close to a "hater". In fact, I'm someone who generally looks for the positives.
    Overall, I see plenty to be optimistic about, but on the other hand I also saw quite a bit to be disappointed about.
    Ginn is a (big) disappointment. He's too timid to play in the NFL.
    Our ILB situation is also inadequate, FS too.
    Losing to the Bills?..that shouldn't have happened.
    The entire 1st half against the Texans we were listless and uninspired.
    I could go on, but I really only wanted to illustrate that there is in fact plenty to complain about.
    Also please, refrain from the " you know more than we do attitude" ie: Until you play the game and see how difficult it is to produce on every single play, you will have absolutley no idea how good our '09 team really was.
    I have nothing but respect for your opinion that there should be no complaints; however it's opinion, only. But my opinion is every bit as valid as yours.

jetssuck likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend keith075:

honest reaction
    & although a little bit over the top
    it does have the ring of truth to it
    better days are coming
    we will contend in 2010
    & the negativity will cease