1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those that banged on drafting Vernon....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Oct 28, 2012.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I think he is saying, "how ya like me now?".

Dude has been pretty much all over it the past few games and was a difference maker today.

Xeticus, SICK, CashInFist and 2 others like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I said he wouldn't amount to anything,

Well, actually I said he'd never amount to anything as an edge rusher, and would never post double digit sacks in his career.

Either way I'm happy we didn't cut him like i wanted.

3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    How you luh dat!

4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I think he was the difference maker last game too, kid seems to have a knack for making big plays.

smahtaz and Bpk like this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I was pretty neutral on the kid, but definitely pleased so far.

6. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Silverphin, dolfan32323 and Boik14 like this.
  7. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    We whooped em Dolphins style!

Silverphin, DOLPHAN1 and mnfinfan like this.
  8. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

there are players that just seem to be in the right place at the right time. I am starting to get the feeling Vernon is one of those guys… cant wait to see him develop considering you know damn well the coaching staff at the U didnt teach him anything.

CWBIII, Boik14, smahtaz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Light came on against the Rams. Keep it up OV.

Sent from my iPhone

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Vernon IMO is going to be a guy that gets you 6 to 9 sacks a year, solid pressure and plays the run.

11. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    The guy is a stud.

12. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I don't want to temper anyone's expectations and be a Debbie Downer, but Merling looked pretty damn good his rookie year too. I think Vernon has a bright future, but I still have some questions about him. Anyway he has played lights out the last couple games, I love how aware his is at all times. Very high football intelligence especially for a rookie that left college early.

Bpk likes this.
  13. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Well, Merling didn't make these kind of plays, he was good against the run and not much else, minus that int for a TD against Favre and the Jets to win the East.

14. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Lol you could argue the same thing for Vernon, minus this play or that play. Some of Vernon's sacks were more of coverage sacks and if I recall correctly one he was unblocked. Also Merling had a couple impact plays his rookie year too; I know because I was really excited to watch him develop. Again, I'm not trying to start stuff I just am just trying to temper the excitement a bit. Vernon will be a good heads up player that will contribute for a while, but I don't know if he will be a "great" player. I still want to see him drop his hips to get around the corner better.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He has been impressive. I didn't like the pick when it happened, but it wasn't anything specific against Vernon. I just wanted Sanu in that spot. I hadn't scouted Vernon so I didn't have an opinion on him.

16. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    I remember Merling's rookie year well too and he never showed this kind of potential, they are completely different kind of players talent wise. Also Merling had just one sack the whole year, OV has 2.5 already in just 7 games, and a blocked FG now.

17. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Phillip Merling 2.0 was the worry with me. He's done more in these last two games than Merling ever did in his entire time here in Miami. I didn't know a thing about him coming out of Miami U so I wasn't sure what we were getting. Never bashed him just simply didn't know anything about the kid. Glad he's come to life.
    If we could just get something from Michael Egnew going this draft would shape up as one of the better ones in recent history for us.

maynard likes this.
  18. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I dont know that he is ever going to be a great player but I think he is going to be one of those guys that makes a big play just about every game. So far this season he blocked a kick (Jets, time out), big sack a couple weeks ago. Today he had a TD. He has 2.5 sacks so far… Merling had 3.5 in four years with the Fins. Like I said I dont know how his career is going to end up (none of us do) but he is playing better right now then Merling ever did so that give me hope… :)

UCF FINatic likes this.
  19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    He's definitely played above my expectations. Would be shocked if he was ever anything more than average as a pass rusher, and still think we need to find a situational pass rusher opposite Wake for 3rd downs. But he can still be a very good player at all the other phases of the game, as he's been doing.

20. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I love Miller but the coaching staff see something in him that they must hate if they cant even get him some carries in a 20+ point blow out.

21. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

I totally agree… I just dont see the quickness off the ball that is going to make him a great passrusher… but I think he is a football player...

22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know that Vernon had the most amazing game as a pass rusher this week, but then again he was going overwhelmingly against D'Brickashaw Ferguson too.

It's worth noting that he was responsible for a points differential of 10(9 if you're anal) points this week and likely 3-6 game winning points in the last game. That's pretty big regardless of where it comes.

smahtaz likes this.
  23. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Vernon has come along strong in the last 2 games. If he continues this way, one can only guess at his upside. THe guy just makes plays, it seems.

24. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Pretty much. And you can never have enough football players. Making plays is making plays. Doesn't really matter whether it's on special teams, run defense, or rushing the passer.

smahtaz and mroz like this.
  25. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    [video=youtube;rQKsKbXN1A4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKsKbXN1A4[/video]

Had to ;p Great performance though! The only time letterman has asked a band to play on.

26. Mongo

Mongo Mongo like candy!

Mar 23, 2008
    I was afraid he'd suck, although I was holding out hope that since it was so early that he was by no means a final product.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Irrelevant. Two completely different people with different DNA. Whether or not Vernon has a successful career is in no way connected to how Merling's career went.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They aren't even close to similar skill sets. Merling was a 4-3DT/3-4DE type, and Vernon is a 4-3DE/3-4OLB.
    I don't see anything with Vernon since he joined the team that made me concerned he could be the next Merling.

djphinfan, Boik14 and dolfan22 like this.
  29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    "That dude is a big mother..built well, no wonder he's strong as hell.."

"Vern got hurt..but gets up 10 mins later, and pops on his toes..he was pissed for a second..That guy may have some good makeup."

He did that in camp, and I was reflecting on the situation, he acted at the time that it was the final minute of the superbowl, he is fun to watch, and a very tough kid..

30. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I just watched that GIF for like 5 minutes....it just doesnt get old.
    Ball security. Watch the way he holds the ball. Doesnt mean he wont be a stud as tons of backs have ball security early on...Tiki Barber, Ahmad Bradshaw, MJD among them.

As for Vernon, I didnt really have an opinion on draft day and after watching some film/highlights I said he would be a good player before the season started. Not sure I see him being a pro bowl level player but he can definitely be an 8-9 sack guy who plays the run well if he reaches his potential. I do think if he busts his tail he could go even further then that because as a DE you need that high motor and he has that. You need to be able to get upfield either by overpowering or being faster then the tackle and he can do those as well. His hand placement was the biggest knock I had.

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Nice new fresh look there buddy..

Disgustipate likes this.
  32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Kid looks damn good.

33. Bpk

I think (like Merling) Vernon would be better as a standup LB. Don't see him ever becoming a good hand in the dirt, DE edge rusher. But I see him flashing all sorts of other good looking skills.

Pass drops. Great awareness. Real good special teams player. And competent against blokers... Wonder how he'd look as Misi's backup at SOLB. That's my preference for him long-term.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  34. Bpk

For me, the Merling thing came from seeing Merling as a guy they mis-cast by taking a high-motor guy who was a bit slogging and didn't have the quickest twitch moves at the line, and instead of having him drop a few pounds and hacving him play SOLB in the 3-4, which he could have done at LEAST as weell or better than Matt Roth, they had him put weight ON and moved him somewhere he was not optimally styled to play, imo. He got MORE slowish as he put on more bulk. Totally wrong way to go, I thought.

In Vernon I see a guy who does not show quick twicth explosion around the edge, and doesn't have quick feet in the pass rush. A guy who, if you expect him to be Cam Wake, he just ain't. And packing MORE weight on him won't make him any quicker so I fear if they want him on the line at DE the mandate will be "Put on pounds". If that happens, some of the natural athleticism letting him drop into a zone and dive to breakup a pass, or run back into the endzone to catch a blocked punt, or elevate to block a FG will disappear. Embrace what he is, and play him as a strongside linebacker, imo. You'll get the most out of him. He takes on blocks well, but doesn't defeat them well. So make him a professional dance partner who pass drops at times... make him Misi's backup protege at SOLB.

That's where the Merling thing comes in for me. I don't want to see him wasted by being pushed towards being a lineman, not an LB.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  35. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008

We were referring more about what happened with his career, not the playing style... High floor, middle-tier ceiling guy. Will be as good as his body allows him. He can't seem to sink his hips and turn the corner real well. He is strong but, not country strong like JJ Watt. Most DEs that are not exceptionally strong/powerful or exceptionally fast/quick do not turn out to be great players. Players like him that have average strength and average speed/acceleration tend to just be good, never really becoming great. I see someone that will work hard and max out his potential, but I also see limitations to him as DEs/OLB. I simply named Merling as a player that had a pretty solid impact in year 1 and then never got better. Vernon is not the same guy, yes I understand that but that was the easiest and quickest reference I could make in terms of someone that had an impact in year 1 and never progressed. Vernon has the drive and wants to be a good player, will he work his *** off in the offseason? Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be an impact player. If you want a better comparison in terms of how I see his career turning out (not a comparison, but a what will his career end up like) I would say Matt Roth.

If I remember correctly one of his sacks was a coverage sack and another he was not touched en route to the QB. Just because he is having a big impact early on doesn't necessarily mean he will develop into a great player. You have to look at how the stats were accumulated, not at only the stats. If you looked at stats in a tunnel, Kellen Moore would have been the #1 overall pick.

Keep in mind, I am a Dolphins fan first and foremost. If I am proven wrong I will gladly and happily eat crow, but that is just how I see it now.

36. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    This is what I was thinking too. The guy is very active and looks more the part of a linebacker or kind of a hybrid DE/LB. Such a good ST's player could really be used a lot of ways defensively. Get creative with the guy and he will pay dividends IMO.

37. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Funny that we both brought up Roth lol. I posted before seeing either of your last two posts.

While we agree on Vernon, I still don't think Merling could have played LB but I guess we will never know. I could see Vernon at OLB though.

38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Besides Tannehill, Vernon was my favorite pick from the draft. His pass rush has gotten better and he just makes BIG plays. A TD and a blocked a FG is a HELL of a game.

The kid is getting better and better.

39. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Less Zaslow, please.

That said, Vernon was targeted as a 1st round pick we were able to get a year early. Vernon hasn't turned in a 1st round pick level season, at least IMO, but he's certainly coming along. We're still two seasons away from being able to evaluate him (and the rest of the rookies).

40. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I didn't know what to think of the pick. He underachived at Miami didn't he?

Glad he is on our team now seeing play.

I did not like the Miller pick at all. Still waiting for Miller to prove he was worth taking.