Former Jets DE Gholston: "Ryan never gave me a chance"
6 replies
Vernon Gholston, the former first-round pick whose New York Jets career was a bust before the team released him during the offseason, slammed Jets coach Rex Ryan on Monday, saying the coach and the Jets organization didn't give him a fair chance.
"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," said Gholston, who was picked sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft when Eric Mangini was still coaching the Jets.
On Tuesday, Ryan admitted that he may have indeed pre-judged Gholston.
"I would’ve liked to have Vernon back… he was getting better," Ryan said. "He wasn’t going to be the next Deacon Jones, no, (but) he has the right to feel that way."
Ryan took a few shots at Gholston in his book, "Play Like You Mean It," according to ESPN. "He’s a good athlete and a smart guy," Ryan wrote, "but I thought he was a phony."
"Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more (of a chance)," said Gholston.
"Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case," Gholston said. "Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say."
Gholston, a backup defensive end for the Bears, also accused Ryan, who was the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator before the Jets hired him prior to the 2009 season, of playing favorites with players such as Bart Scott, who also came over from Baltimore.
"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he was in Baltimore for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."



All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
Eh:
-Rexxy..does..not..develop..Linebackers
-Ghost..if you were so talented, you would have forced him to play you, maybe if you wore high heeled cleats he would have liked you better?
Cripple fight!
He never gave Gholston a chance because Gholston sucks.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
Gholston is one of the worst players I ever got to see play. No lie. He's just not a football player.
Darrelle Revis = Greatest Defensive Player of All-Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuLFxXi_aw
"Darrelle Revis wrote:
Gholston is one of the worst players I ever got to see play. No lie. He's just not a football player.
I take it you just started following the Jets then, huh?
People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ----George Bernard Shaw

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.