1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula One Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Mind you, this thread is being created when we have one of the closest competitions in the last several years (since Hamilton v Rosberg). To get us all in the spirit...

now then, do we all have a pick for this year? will it be Hamilton? Will it be Max? Are you impartial and just want to see good racing? (like me).

The Dutch GP was not so fun to watch as the passing was limited (really interesting looking track though). Of course the fans went nuts for Max, which was great to see.

I'm looking forward to next year when we have Russell apparently taking over for Bottas in the 2nd Mercedes seat next to Lewis. He won't be a "nice" as Valtteri. And the new car designs should make things even more intriguing. Until then, we'll have an epic race chase on our hands.

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Dutch GP looks like a fun circuit to drive but the race itself wasn't too exciting with the limited passing opportunities.

I want Max to win this year so that it can be said a team beat the Merc and Hamilton dominance during the turbo hybrid era before 2022 rule changes.

Speaking of, next year should be incredibly fun with so many unique designs and interpretations of the rules. I anticipate many different design philosophies that will eventually all merge into one generally accepted chassis and aero design over following few years. Even then teams will discover new designs and technologies to give them the edge. That is what I love most about the sport. It isn't a spec series and there's continuous development to improve the car. The evolution of the cars are never complete, be it minor track to track aero changes or fundamental changes.

Good to see Russell finally sign with Merc - it was inevitable. He has championship calibre skills and Bottas was never a threat to Lewis. Bottas can qualify with the best of them but his racecraft is nowhere near Hamilton's. Not many people are and he's the best for a reason but if you had Leclerc or Verstappen in Bottas' seat the last two years I am sure the championship would've been much closer, or even someone else's. Even Norris who is having an incredible year would challenge Hamilton I feel.

As a Ferrari fan I am not looking forward to Monza or any other power tracks as it is not suited for this year's car.

Ferrari: "OK, we are checking" "Slow button on"
    Merc: "Get in there Lewis"...

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Engine swaps may cost RB the championship I feel. Due to their crashes they may have to take grid penalties. I believe Checo took one last week after getting knocked out of Q1 did he not?

4. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Not sure Max deserves a 3 grid penalty for incident with Hamilton.

Nice to see Danny Ric win one after his up and down season.

McLaren 1-2. What year is this?

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    That was a wild one. I really don't think the penalty is that harsh. I expect him to make it up in the next race there in Sochi. He'll likely be behind Hamilton in the race once it's made up. With the Championship being that close, it's almost like they are assuring Hamilton of being ahead of Verstappen by the middle of the race. And then from there it's back to square one. We'll see I suppose. Both cars didn't finish and scored zero points last weekend. Had Verstappen say ruined Lewis' car to the point where Max scores points and Lewis doesn't, then it would be a real talking point as far as a penalty.

6. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    The grid places only matter when comparing Max and Lewis in a bubble. Yeah he'll make the places up but he likely won't be able to challenge Lewis for the win. Sochi is a strong Merc track generally so Max may have an even more difficult time catching him barring an incident.

"Had Verstappen say ruined Lewis' car to the point where Max scores points and Lewis doesn't, then it would be a real talking point as far as a penalty."

Like the incident at Silverstone? It didn't affect the decision on Lewis even though the contact took Max out and Lewis gained 25 points on him. It was a racing incident then, and the severity of the outcome had no impact on the decision not to give Lewis a penalty. Not sure why the outcome would all of a sudden matter when reviewing the Monza incident.

Paul 13 likes this.