1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX wins FIFA rights

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    This was a fairly big surprise to people, FOX has won the right to air the 2018 (Russia) and 2022 (Qatar) World Cups and 2015 (Canada) and 2019 (TBD) Women's World Cups.

I liked ESPN's coverage. They also got to use ESPN, ESPN2, ABC and their ESPN3 website. I wonder how FOX will do this, will they use FX channel too...? They have Fox Soccer Channel too, which could grow before then. So it's not too big a deal I guess, FOX has an entire channel for soccer so I guess they'll be able to do it big and air every match as well.

We also may lose Ian Darke, who called the instantly classic Landon Donovan and Abby Wambach last minute goals. I guess they can obviously hire some of the same people before their broadcasting starts though, so he may be back. We'll find out in 2015.

Bit of a blow to ESPN though. They drummed up a ton of interest during 2010 and 2011 & got 14 million viewers for USA-Japan WWC final a few months ago, their largest non-NFL/NCAA Football audience.