Free Agency Thread? Free Agency Thread.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 31, 2013.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Agreed. I'd hate to lose Starks or Smith though.

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    As Shou pointed out, Brandon Myers is one of my top FAs for Miami. I think he would be an excellent addition for our team at the TE position.

shouright likes this.
  3. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
  4. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Not at all what I said. You have a rather strange habit of putting words in people's mouths, from what I've noticed. But for future reference, do me a favor and let me speak for myself :)

I think there should be a case by case basis. I think Pac Man is making the most of his second chance.

Or we can go along pretending like every member of the Miami Dolphins is a saint and that nobody Miami will bring in can have a mark against them, from Starks and his ability to almost run over police officers with his big *** truck or Koa Misi with his ability to punch through a door and proceed to assault and batter a college kid.

So the answer is no, I'm not "another guy that cares only about talent"

Steve-Mo likes this.
  5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Score touchdowns.

jdang307 likes this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Jones_%28American_football%29

Feel free to re-familiarize yourself with his ample criminal record.

This is far from his second chance.

And yes, if you want Pacman because of talent and are willing to forgive his many trespasses, to the point where you'll compare what he's done with what Misi did, then you're most definitely someone who values talent over anything. That's not putting words in your mouth (or typing words with your fingers, as it were), that's just me reading what you've wrote.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    No to which? DRC sucking? No to Sam Shields? No to the trade idea? No to green bay making a trade in general?

8. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Oh there's no question in my mind that Pac Man was a massive ****up and all around terrible human being but he was given his first legitimate second chance with Cinci. He seems to have righted the ship, from all accounts by his coaching staff and fellow players.

And I'm not really interested in debating conversational semantics with you but if you were simply "reading what I wrote" then you'd understand what I wrote is "That's a problem with Philbin" and not "I care about talent and only talent" so... no. You didn't simply read what I wrote. You added your own context and bias on it. You can free free to do that but it seems a bit foolish to vehemently defend a wrong reading.

And again you've missed my point with regards to Misi. I wasn't directly comparing them to each other. I was pointing out that people who say "Look at Philbin, he cares about shoes being untied and garbage on the field! He's a no nonsense guy!" when in fact... it's not that black and white!

Hope that clarifies.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Philbin is ok with Misi, therefore why wouldn't he be fine with Pac Man....is absolutely comparing what they did regardless of what you think your intent is. If you understand there's a huge difference between what the two men did, you wouldn't be bringing up Misi, to illustrate Philbin's acceptance of law breakers in defense of bringing in Pac Man.

Wanting Pac man on your team because his talent, hoping the he won't be a **** up again...is absolutely choosing talent over character regardless of what you think your intent is. For example, say Pac Man is a 90 at CB, would you take an 80 with a spotless record instead of Pac Man?

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Williams cap hit is over 8mill I think. I wouldn't want to give up picks for them unless I felt I wasn't any good at making draft picks. Consider being down a couple picks like a 2 and 3, and the contracts they'd cost, but then have to add in the cap hits of those two which would be a sizable chunk. I'd rather try to sign Keller than give a pick for Finley and I'd rather sign any of the UFA corners we've named than give up a pick for Williams.

edit: Williams is 7.4 mill and 8.4 the next two seasons. Finley is 8.75 mill in '13

11. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    :jt0323:

12. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    LOL. actually..now that you ask...Yeah....NO to all of them.

Clark Kent likes this.
  13. MrClean

How much of it has occurred since he signed with Cincy?

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He's been pretty clean here in Cincinnati. The worst I've heard is that he got in a mix-up at a club one night, but I don't think any charges came out of that to him or anyone involved.

MrClean likes this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    None for the last two years, that we know about anyway. Why?

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's a relief. Luckily there's no clubs in Miami.

17. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    first of all, 6-7 mil a year isn't overpaying for either, both are young, excellent well rounded players, and in fact both are clearly superior to Odrick rushing the passer AND against the run.

secondly, you're naive if you think whatever DE we draft will come in and be an effective pass rusher right away, that's a gamble, especially with our GM, the last couple of guys Ireland drafted to get to the QB (Misi, McCoy, Vernon) have not been good at it. FA is a gamble but i think it's less of one because by signing Johnson or Bennett we'd be getting established pass rushers. yes, there are some talented pass rushers coming out this year but many of the top guys (Jones, Werner, Mingo, Montgomery, Moore, Ansah, Jordan) should go 1st round. so instead of having to use our top pick on one of them, I'd rather sign one of these young DE's in free agency to give Wake some immediate help getting to Brady and use our top pick on a WR.

skippysphins likes this.
  18. MrClean

I think he's likely turned over a new leaf then. Why make a big deal about his past transgressions? People can change and straighten themselves out.

19. MrClean

Yup. If not for that worthless Tannehill, Fasano would be 1st team All-Pro. The only reason all our receivers are so limited is because of Tannehill. I think we should draft Matt Barkley in the 1st and move Tannehill to WR where he belongs. :whistling:

Fin D likes this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not letting a reformed pedophile around kids, an addict around drugs, an alcoholic around alcohol, an axe murder around axes and creepy houses and I certainly don't want Pac Man around South Beach.

Do we really need the potential black eye he can give us? Is his play really THAT great?

21. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    All sounded logical until right here. I laughed my *** off when I read it. :up:

Fin D likes this.
  22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I like Hixon but hes a #3/4 type. he can play well in spot starts but he misses easy passes, not necessarily drops but mistimed jumps, ran the route just a bit off....every time he gets a starting job he plays just bad enough to lose it and hes also most effective out of the slot. I like him as a ST ace though.

I like Houston a lot, he causes turnovers. He gets burnt every once in a while but nowadays who doesnt. I think his ball skills are very good, he knows how to get the ball at its height and catch the easy ones.

Beatty, is higher on the NYG list to resign then even Osi Umenyiora (who wouldnt be a bad fit either) even at his age. Beatty is injury prone though and if you think martin gets pushed around, you aint seen nothing. he gets the job done a lot of the time but its not pretty. i wouldnt want to see him with a young QB...maybe if we had an Eli type QB (which Tannehill may yet become).
    Phillips is a talent but hes lost a step and hes very injury prone. Id take him but you better have a good 3rd safety. i just as well move Marshall to FS where he belongs and get 2 new starting CB's either through the draft or FA. But if Phillips wants to come here at a reasonable cost Ill take him on my team.

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ^^ Boik thinks b/c he lives in NY he knows more about the Giants. :p

:couch:

Boik14 likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Or because I watch every Giant game since I was about 7 years old. :)

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Oh God Now we have people who want to turn the phins into Texas A@M South . thats great lets draft all Texas A@M players lord Knows every player from there is studs. oh wait J Lane and TANNYHILL will be hall of famers, what in hell am ithinking ?. I think too many people have forgotten Seth McKinney ,Wade Smith and Taylor Whitley at least two of those guys were from A@M if anything we need the cornerback from LSU .

26. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    It's A&M.

The ampersand (&) is located on your 7 key. Hit shift + 7 to type said symbol.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    traitor

28. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    You mean the short CB, who can't cover in space very well, and has a drug addiction problem? Yeah, we need that!

Those players from A&M have nothing to do with the current prospects, not sure why you're bringing them up.

29. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    And probably not old enough to remember Lawrence Taylor. LOL

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Not at all. I became a Dolphin fan first and then adopted the Giants as a 2nd team because my whole family is Giant fans. We dont allow Jet scum. I make sure of that. :tongue2:

Actually I do. I was 6 or 7 when I first saw LT play. It was 84-85ish. I remember those teams very well with Carson-Banks-LT-Leonard Marshall-Jim Burt etc. To this day thats the best front 7 I ever saw. :wink2:

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Never. I mean never, encourage me.

Conuficus likes this.
  32. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Both Jared Allen and Vincent Jackson were on their last strike alcohol wise.

But I still wouldn't take Adam Jones

33. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Seriously, that dude is a waste of space..he's probabaly at jack in the box right now.

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    why don't you want Conner Barwin?

35. MrClean

So, you watched every game for the past 2 years then? :whistling:

36. MrClean

You need a better lock on your liquor cabinet? Smith went to U of Memphis and we'd be damn lucky to still have him since he is a Pro Bowl guard. I don't understand including Wade Smith in your anti A&M rant unless you've just been chasing down your Falstaff beer with more of that Wild Turkey.

Boomer, CANDolphan and Disgustipate like this.
  37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    IMO he'll be too expensive and I'll be surprised if Houston doesn't figure out a way to keep him. To me he'd be a perfect SOLB hybrid in our defense.

38. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I like...

RB Justin Forsett- He's a pretty good, pretty young zone running-back who has been good as a guy coming off the bench. He doesn't offer a diametrically opposed skill-set to Lamar Miller, but I think he'd be a good pickup regardless.

TE Brandon Myers- He might not be the down the field seam threat everyone wants, but he's a really productive receiving tight end that I think would fit well, and I think would be well-suited playing in an offense that wouldn't be shy in splitting him out.

TE Delanie Walker- He's a blocking tight end, and I think Miami will be in the market for one of those with an impending restructuring of the position this off-season. He is a guy you can slot as a blocking tight end, and is experienced in doing a lot of the H-Back stuff they will likely want.

OT Brandon Albert- If they are willing to spend pretty big money on Jake Long, I think they're willing to do so on other tackles. I'm not certain Brandon Albert is going to hit the market, but I'm more listening him because I think he's the best fit for Miami. There are a lot of other potential players on the market, and I think you can make a case for most of them.

DT Glenn Dorsey- This is my own pet personal cause at this point. Dorsey has turned out to be a quite good run defender. I think he's the kind of guy who eventually ends up being a dominant nose tackle despite being drafted with a different body type.

39. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    lold :lol:

dolfan32323 likes this.
  40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Dont forget Von Miller. He sucks too. They have an OT and DE projected to go Top 10 this year, probably busts. I agree no more A@M players. No A&M players either.