Free Agency Thread? Free Agency Thread.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Stephen Jackson? Isn't he a free agent?

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That dudes washed up

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, I meant more along the lines of what kind of physical capability?

Operating under the assumption that Lamar Miller has home-run capability and is adequate as a receiver.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The New York Jets it is!

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lets hope, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the jets move up to get Lacy in the draft..

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Jets should go BPA at every pick. They need help everywhere.

Should, but won't.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He's still putting up solid numbers. He was durable as usual this past season. What makes you think he is washed up?

8. MrClean

He spells it Steven, not Stephen. :shifty:

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

The Jets should not go BPA at every pick. They need help nowhere.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Honestly I think he's a case where he has built up a lot of bulk to protect himself, and has lost speed and flexibility in the process, he'll be thirty, and I don't see why we would need him.

11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I would. They've got too many holes to fill to lose draft picks, and RB's can be found on the market fairly cheaply.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If I know the Jest, they are going to go straight back to ground and pound, would expect OL to be drafted

Brandon Moore will probably be leaving as well.

One of their other problems is they have -0- depth, cut Scott/Pace...who replaces them?

As for Bradshaw, :lol:

Ireland knows his job is on the block, a roll of the dice on a injured Rb is not in the cars anytime soon imo.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I don't see Bradshaw as that person. Like I said, he just had another surgery so significant workload is out the window, imo.

Pass protection I'd expect quite a few RBs to be better than Miller at this point. I don't see Bradshaw being great in power/short yardage either. More power than Miller but def not by all that much.

I'd love Lacy but if not, Ivory or someone more along those lines would be nice.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    True, but I only mean moving up a bit from their 2nd round.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought Ivory was restricted?, been talking about that bad *** since preseason.

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Man I understand the wariness of a 30 year old free agent tailback but I watched Steven Jackson play ball this year and to call him washed up...I dunno about that. He looked great to me.

Bpk and Steve-Mo like this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It might of been a poor choice of words, he could contribute, but is one foot out the door is the question (I've seen some signs of that), and imo you would be getting a back who isn't near what he was, and at 30, and on the descend I don't see the logic..

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think he is. They have so many RBs in NO though I wonder if they'd move one. Reggie Bush deal 2.0 hopefully.

I don't think we're that bad off at RB though. We can pick another one later in the draft if we don't sign anyone. Gray could is a wildcard too obv.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'd love to go after Ivory, and I'm not opposed to drafting a prospect in the draft, it's just whether or not the staff thinks the unit needs a veteran prescense .

Edit.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Oops.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I want to go back to Mike Goodson.

I just did all of his 2012 Coaches Tape and he is definitely one of the NFL's better kept secrets. The Raiders are a little bit stuck with Darren McFadden right now and Goodson could look for an opportunity to genuinely go and compete to be "the man". In Miami, he could do that, because in the end Lamar Miller is just a 4th round pick that had a tough time getting onto the field as a rookie because he couldn't remember his assignments. Goodson not only played in Mike Sherman's offense in 2008, but he just came from Oakland's WCO last year where he excelled.

There's a myth making the rounds here that Mike Goodson hates Mike Sherman and vice versa, and so they would never re-unite. Earlier in the thread, Disgustipate brought up some quotes found during a quick google search that seem to suggest that there could be bad blood between Goodson and Sherman. I personally didn't see that with those quotes. I thought the quotes could have been alluding to a number of things that constituted the "complications" that saw Goodson underperforming and then coming out early for the Draft.

So I did some more thorough digging. I don't think it's true at all that Sherman and Goodson dislike one another. This article sheds some more light on the subject. Some interesting quotes:

These are the "combination of things" that Mike Sherman alluded to in his end of season press conference when asked about Goodson not being featured as much as he could've been, and leaving for the NFL early. There was an injury, a little bit of the two not quite getting a good feel for one another, and then Goodson had a family/financial situation that demanded he leave for the NFL early. That's pretty much it. Goodson didn't have to say ONE WORD of praise for Mike Sherman if he didn't want to, but he did. He called him a "great guy" and said that if they'd had that extra year together (which they couldn't get because of family/financial situations) they'd have gotten their chemistry together a lot better. He didn't have to say that. He could've left it blank. "What's in the past is in the past," he could have said, and just left it at that. I think there's even a strong possibility that Mike Sherman helped Mike Goodson get into the NFL with strong recommendations.

What I think you should pay attention to is the fact that Mike Sherman knows just how talented Mike Goodson is. He fully intended to build his entire Texas A&M offense around the guy in 2008. And as he said at mid season, he considered Mike Goodson the asset they have that should be making them a lot better than they are.

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Goodson has faced a stacked deck. He goes to the Carolina Panthers where they've got not one but TWO first round picks. But by 2010, he worked his way up and due to a combination of injuries and just really good play, he took more snaps than either Jonathan Stewart or DeAngelo Williams. He had 103 runs for 439 yards, including 18 missed tackles he created and 288 yards after contact. He also had 40 catches (on 51 targets) for 310 yards including another 10 missed tackles created.

In 2011, he landed in Ron Rivera's doghouse for "fumbling" issues which is at least a little bit baffling because I can't find that he fumbled the football during a game that year. He never had a carry. He caught 1 ball and had 11 kickoff returns. The thing to note though is DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart were healthy and doing really well, and now they had Cam Newton taking a ton of carries as well. Josh Vaughn and Mike Goodson the other two tailbacks on roster had 15 snaps all year between the two of them. Any non-Williams, non-Stewart running back snaps were dished to fullbacks Richard Brockel and Jerome Felton, in that scheme. He ended up injuring a hamstring in November and being placed on injured reserve.

So in 2012 the Carolina Panthers traded him to the Raiders. The Panthers needed help at tackle because Jeff Otah had gone psycho on them and so the Raiders shipped over Bruce Campbell (the super athlete). Goodson really missed an opportunity with the Raiders because Darren McFadden (again) got hurt in Week 9 against the Buccaneers. But Goodson himself got hurt in the same game and didn't come back until Week 15. It was a real shame because after watching the tape there's no doubt in my mind which player was better overall. That was Goodson. But I think the Raiders felt tremendous pressure to make Darren McFadden work. They still seem to feel that pressure. Arguably they fired their offensive coordinator because of it.

Mike Goodson ran 35 times this year for 221 yards. He created 8 missed tackles and had 171 yards after contact (an amazing 4.9 yard average). He caught 16 balls (on 16 targets) for 195 yards with 1 TD. He created 5 more missed tackles on catches. You may remember him from the Dolphins-Raiders game. He is the one that blazed that 60+ yard catch for a touchdown on a screen pass. Once the OL managed to trip up Koa Misi, Goodson was gone.

The thing people are going to ask me about is his pass protection. Let me tell you, he was easily better than Darren McFadden in pass pro. I saw pretty much every snap of his in pass pro this year. He started out the year shaky. His very first pass protection snap of the year came against the Miami Dolphins and he got blown up by Kevin Burnett. But what is important to note is that I did not record a single pass pro loss in any of his other 26 snaps there. I realize PFF says he let up a QB pressure against the Buccaneers but I didn't agree with that call of theirs.

What I noticed about his running is that in particular he seemed a natural in the zone cutback game. Sometimes he would give up on the play side a little too soon and try and cut way back to the back side, but it usually was not long before he got back to north-south running.

Three things:

1. He just has a knack for making guys miss, which he also showed in 2009 and 2010. On 160 runs in his career he's created 29 missed tackles, and on 59 catches he created 15 more misses. Adrian Peterson made a guy miss this year (his damn near record breaking year) every 5.4 touches. Well, in his career Mike Goodson has made a guy miss ever 5.0 touches. Obviously I'm not saying this guy is Adrian Peterson. Peterson created 3.9 yards after contact per carry this year, Goodson's career average is 3.2 yards after contact. But the ability to make guys miss and fall off the tackle is a big part of Goodson's game.

2. What I particularly like in him is the growth. There's every suggestion (based on the numbers) that Goodson was not a good pass protector in 2010 when he got a lot of playing time. He had a pretty strongly negative PFF grade with 3 sacks given up 1 hit and 2 pressures on 65 pass pro snaps. What I like is you fast forward to 2012 and like I said aside from one loss, literally his first pass pro snap of the year, I thought he did marvelously. There's been a suggestion that fumbling was an issue in the past. He had 1 fumble on 42 touches (including kick returns) in his rookie year...but had 6 fumbles on 191 touches in 2010. The reason he supposedly got in the doghouse with Ron Rivera was fumbling, but he didn't fumble a single time in games in 2011 on 12 touches. Fast forward to 2012...no fumbles. Not one fumble on 67 more touches. But that's not the only growth. As I said he had 171 yards rushing in 2012 after contact, which averaged out to 4.9 yards. Previously in 2010, he averaged about 2.9 yards after contact. I think overall you're looking at a guy that has grown during his time in the league.

3. Go back to the measurables coming out of college and they're very strong. He was 5117 and 208 lbs, ran a 4.43 at his pro day (while pulling a hamstring). He ran a 4.46 at the Combine with a 1.49 second 10 yard split (FWIW, I don't have much trust in 10 yard splits due to measurement error sensitivity). He had a 39.5 inch vertical and 9'10" broad jump. His shuttle was 4.22 seconds and his cone was 6.89 seconds. He did 14 bench reps.

I think there will be a market for him in free agency as several teams have to have noticed him over the years. The Raiders will definitely want to keep him but they're handcuffed because of Darren McFadden. He knows that so long as Darren McFadden is there, he's not going to get many opportunities even to be a 3rd down type of guy because that's supposed to be one of McFadden's strengths.

The Green Bay Packers could make a play for him. That would have to seem a temptation for Mike. They essentially had to roll with DuJuan Harris, a guy that was selling cars not too long ago, all through the playoffs. I'm not saying he didn't do some pretty impressive work. He's a genuine NFL back and I've loved him since he came out, wanted the Dolphins to sign him undrafted real bad. But if they don't re-sign Cedric Benson then they'll be in the market for a guy. But Goodson will have to ask whether they're so desperate for a back that even after they sign him, they're drafting a guy real high...someone like Eddie Lacy or Gio Bernard.

I think his relationship with Mike Sherman and experience in this offense could actually HELP the Dolphins land him, if they wanted to, believe it or not. He clearly harbors no ill will toward Sherman, calling him a "great guy". In Miami, I'm not sure he'd have to compete with a high draft pick. They are allowing Reggie Bush to walk and they have 4th round pick Lamar Miller to try and take his place. Daniel Thomas is a not even an NFL caliber back, so I doubt Goodson will be worried there. He'll at least get to be part of an active two-man rotation. And who is to say that the 5th year veteran can't supplant Lamar Miller as the lead dog in that rotation?

Either way I doubt Mike Goodson is going to be an expensive get in free agency, yet I'm pretty sure he's going to be worth it.

Bpk, B.Sebo, Killer Bees and 6 others like this.
  22. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I like how one post from CK can make me go from not knowing a guy existed to being apoplectic if we don't get him in one post.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    After souring on Reggie, I've wanted all offseason a workhorse back, not someone who who split carries, but someone where we know he can run downhill in this scheme, we know he can see the hole and explode, and one that will finish the run with a nature that inspires teammates.

Chris ivory is 24 years old, it will cost the saints 2 mill to retain him as a restricted free agent, I'd like to see what that tender is, they drafted Ingram in the first so that's staring them in the face, but really they would be crazy to let tha guy go..

Goodson is interesting as well, and I'm ready to drop a draft pick on Lacy, Ball, Ellington, Step Taylor..

I guess we'll know come march whether we're looking at the draft for a back.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I spend a lot of hours on the draft, but CK is someone who I follow and trust and that's because of his record over the years and his attention to detail, both are very good, and trustworthy because you know the work is being done.

evz, PhiNomina and ckparrothead like this.
  25. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    What would you guys estimate Mike Goodson will go for this offseason?

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if there's any way of knowing that. He's a unique case in that the film is good but it's scarce which means he's unproven.

Can he handle a bigger workload? He got 13 carries against Kansas City this year and he seemed to handle it fine with 89 rushing yards, plus a catch for 14 yards. Over a span of 3 games in 2010 he got 75 touches and produced 400 total yards and 1 TD. But he also fumbled 3 times during that span.

Has he exorcised his fumblitis?

Because he's so unproven I can't imagine you're paying more than $2.5 to $3 million a year for him and even that much might make some General Managers choke on their soup. I was estimating something like maybe $2 million for him on a short term deal.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Its hard to estimate with the lesser-known FAs. All it takes is one team really liking him to send his price up to $3-4M.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  28. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    That seems extremely reasonable for someone who has shown his kind of potential. If the plan is to make Miller a feature back, being able to snag someone with the potential of Goodson for that price would be a steal and a great compliment.

29. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    He's done that to me a few times with draft picks and free agents.

I remember Goodsen but not because of the play he made on the screen pass. I remember him because he scored on a play where Chris Clemons took the WORST angle I've ever seen a defensive back take. My ****ing god.

[video=youtube;Twb-phPKc5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twb-phPKc5E&playnext=1&list=PLC39F5590D2E80094&feature=results_video[/video]

30. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Sign Goodsen, draft Lacy, start Miller, waive Thomas.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  31. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I seem to recall Goodson doing well against in a preseason Carolina game or two?

Still would prefer Byrd, the real problem is he is a FS, we have Reshad Jones

It looks like a deep FA class at Safety, but they seem to be FS not SS who can make plays(?)?

32. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Too me it's not so much the angle. The angle looks bad because a guy with his speed.........that was just pure laziness getting over there. Barely a step above jogging.

gunn34 likes this.
  33. MrClean

That is a real problem? Why? Either can play FS and either can play SS. There's no reason to put a ball hawk like Byrd at SS though, but Jones can play it. Most everyone says the safeties in our scheme are interchangeable anyway. It is a left and right safety, rather than a free and strong.

There is a problem though. The Bills will franchise him if they can't sign him, IMO.

34. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Osi Umenyiora's contract voided yesterday I say sign him for the weak side! He's a FF machine, and even at 31 I think the guy is a premier pass rusher.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Might be too expensive relative to the role Miami would have in mind for him...but it wouldn't be a bad signing all in all. If the Falcons ditch John Abraham I'd rather have him though.

36. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    when does FA start exactly

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Teams are allowed to begin negotiations with players on March 9th but signings can't begin until 4pm EST, March 12th.

Of course, the reality is teams have already begun negotiation with pending free agents. It's a worst kept secret. Even Greg Jennings flat out told reporters that he's already been talking to teams during Super Bowl week.

38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Why do we want over the hill (or soon to be) FA again? Greg Jennings is about the only guy I want in F.A. (prefer Mike Wallace but that's not going to happen) nearing 30. We're trying to build for the future, not go 11-5 for one year again.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not all free agents are "over the hill". Many are 25-26 years old.

40. MrClean

Players who are cap cuts can be signed immediately though. I'm pretty sure you know that and know the difference between the two, but not everyone else may.

ckparrothead likes this.