1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday Morning Discussion: If Fins start out 0-4 under Sparano...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 19, 2011.

What would you do with Sparano if Phins started 0-4?

1. Can him. See what Nolan can do.

23.5%
  2. Wait until mathematically eliminated. Then fire him.

19.1%
  3. Give him the whole season, no matter what.

57.4%
  1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    ...should Ross fire him immediately and see what Nolan can do with the team? Or give Sparano the opportunity to turn it around? Or wait until eliminated from the playoff hunt?

This thread isn't to discuss the likelihood of us going 0-4, just a thread to talk about what should be done if we do.

Personally, if we start 0-4, in this division I think the writing will be plastered on the wall that Sparano isn't our guy. It's his 4th season and it's do or die time. Given we have a very good D coordinator in Mike Nolan who should be considered for the job if Sparano fails I think we should give him the bye week to settle into the role and have a good chunk of the season to audition for the role.

If we go anything other than 0-4, I'd say ride it out with Sparano until mathematically eliminated, perhaps the whole season if that doesn't come until 3 or less games left in the season.

the 23rd and DolfanJake like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Absurdly negative MB.

DHPVW, siciliansith, Paul 13 and 3 others like this.
  3. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Alexandria, VA eh? I'm in Largo, MD. Where do you guys typically watch the games?

If the Fins go 0-4 I think they will let Sparano play it out. Letting Nolan coach won't prove anything because I don't think that he is an option as the HC. Ross would probably go for the big fish and may give Nolan a nice contract to make him stay as DCoord. But, I'd think we'd just ride Sparano out, give him that much and Suck for Luck.

4. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Jesus Christ this fanbase is depressing.

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Are you kidding me? Do you even bother to read the threads, or only the titles before you respond? It's a hypothetical discussion.

DolfanJake likes this.
  6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Michael Vick threw 3 interceptions just playing part of a preseason game last night. They should step up and go get Orton.

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    If we start 0-4 i hope he does stay ...at that point screw it lets just go 1-15 and then finally be done with this Qb search.

SICK, Pagan and Hiruma78 like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I had Sunday Ticket so I didn't go out much. In years past I would go to Old Town to either Southside or Bugsy's for games. This year if I don't get a deal on Sunday Ticket I'll probably go to Bungalow in Springfield to catch games.

I'm guessing that Suck for Luck won't be party of the decision making process for Ross, but who knows. I can see why as fans we would consider that scenario.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, 1 preseason game in the books, 1, and out comes "what if we start out 0-4?"

Instead of "what if we startout 4-0"?

DHPVW, RevRick, SICK and 5 others like this.
  10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You're assuming that Luck will be THE guy ?? I don't get that...he could be hurt this year or maybe not be as good as we seem think he is at this level...too much risk...

But, talking about 'what if's' at this point is rather meaningless. There is enough talent on this team that we won't be 1-15....maybe not enough to get us to the playoffs, but this is not the overall talent that Cam-Cam had...

xphinfanx and padre31 like this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    -no, not kidding
    -yes, read the OP

That is how I drew the "absurdly negative' conclusion,

12. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Why should we be talking about what we should do if we start out 0-4?

xphinfanx and Frayser like this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That and objectively, how can this team be looked at and then say we've regressed instead of improved this offseason?

Granted more athletic talent does not always mean you will win more games, Bush and Burnett are two young pro's with good track records, why wouldn't they be instant upgrades?

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Dumb thread.....

DHPVW, xphinfanx, SICK and 2 others like this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They are happy being MEDIOCRE!!!!!

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If you want to start the "what if we start out 4-0" thread, have at it.

Never once did I say I think we will start 0-4. I thought it would be an interesting discussion to see what should happen with Sparano if it were to happen. It is possible. It's also possible we start out 4-0 as you suggest.

If you find this thread "negative" then go read another one. Sorry not everything is rainbows, puppy dogs and gumdrops enough for you.

As for everyone else who doesn't mind discussing a hypothetical discussion, for those choosing "Give him the whole season", do you choose that because you think he would still be able to turn it around, or because he would deserve the chance to see it out just on principle and / or "Suck for Luck"?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Why should we speculate on anything that happens this season on a football message board?

AbideN703 likes this.
  18. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see any way that Miami starts off 0-4, unless Chad Henne or multiple significant contributors are injured.

However, if we're just being hypothetical here, I'd give him until they're mathematically eliminated. I think with an 0-4 start the fan base will be calling for Sparano's head, Henne's head, etc. At that point, there is just no way you can get the fans back, unless Miami wins games. At the same time, I don't think giving Mike Nolan 3/4 of a season is a great idea either. I feel like interim coaches get retained at a higher rate for showing nothing more than mediocrity. What I don't want to happen is Mike Nolan to go 6-6 and it look like he had the team coming together at the end there. We all know that he hasn't cut the mustard as a HC. Also, it could increase the chances of another team being satisfied with Nolan's mediocrity and signing him for their HC, thus losing our DC in the process.

I think if you wait until mathematically eliminated (at 0-4 that's just around the corner and eventual), you can allow Sparano a chance to make a miraculous run, if it doesn't happen, you can him, fans are happy, you can Henne and start backup QB with interim coach, fans are happy etc. I'd promote Todd Bowles to HC by the way over Mike Nolan. For reasoning above, giving him a taste of a HC could make him wanted by other teams and if he wasn't the predecessor he could think of leaving. Tough to come back to a team that has a HC vacancy you interview for and don't get.

But again, I'd put the chances of Miami starting off 0-4 at 1%. However, the same scenario could happen with a 1-3 start...

MonstBlitz likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sparano sux! Henne sux! Ross sux!

What if lol funny to me is usually the next step is to pimp for some washed up fmr SB winning coach, like that has not been tried already, and failed, "Hire Cowher!!" he has been out of the NFL for 6 yrs now, had plenty of offers, turned them all down, and yet..

ChrisKo and FinNasty like this.
  20. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't mind the poll because, as much as we hate to admit it, it's certainly a viable possibility. Though, to be fair, so is starting 4-0. I voted for the second option, and here's why:

• Canning Sparano after an 0-4 start, after a lockout-delayed offseason, is somewhat unfair. Though it's not likely we will make the playoffs, it is possible (see the San Diego Chargers, every year). The team is coming off a shortened offseason and trying to install a new offensive system. It would not shock me that it will take a couple of games for everything to gel, especially along the offensive line.
    • If we're mathematically eliminated, we may as well see how the team responds to Nolan. Look, we have a owner who openly flirted (albeit clumsily) with firing Sparano last offseason. Clearly Ross lacks some patience, despite the shiny new 2 year contract he gave to Sparano. My caveat regarding my vote is that if we're going to make a change at the end of the season, then why not give Nolan an audition? Keeping some semblance of continuity may be the best way to salvage the season, and it gives Ross an opportunity to see how Nolan handles the coaching duties, as almost an on-the-job audition. I haven't been a fan of this approach in the past, but it seemed to work relatively well for the Cowboys and Vikings last year.
    • Keeping Sparano in Lame Duck status until the end of the year seems counter-productive, mainly for the reasons I listed above. If fans start turning on the team and game attendance starts plummeting, Ross may have no choice but to make a move.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  21. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    :lol: Ewww a hypothetical on top of a hypothetical. Is Chris Nolan directing this thread?! How many layers deep am I now? Oh crap....is my life even real?

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1-3 could happen:

-Patriots look tough
    -Texans always beat us
    -Browns on the road
    -Chargers on the road and they figure to bounce back

Then again, 3-1 is not out of the question, that is why they play the games.

PhinishLine likes this.
  23. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup, 100% just being hypothetical, and thank you for your thoughtful response. I was beginning to lose faith. Yours is the kind of discussion I hoped this thread would generate.

Very good points. A mediocre finish by Nolan in the event of him taking over early would leave ownership with a tough decision. Go with Nolan or Make a splash with a big coaching hire?

If Sparano started 1-3, I think you would have to ride it out with him. Simply because he proved in 2008 and to some extent in 2009, that he could overcome tough starts. Personally I think 0-4 would be to difficult to turn around in this climate though with the expectations and the fact that it's his 4th season. The blood would surely be in the water.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  24. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    My point is... what is the point of having a conversation about the hypothetical situation of us going 0-4? I'd find it just as absurd to have a conversation about the hypothetical situation of us winning the Super Bowl...

25. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll just step out of this thread. Let you all bask in this wonderful hypothetical that you clearly enjoy discussing...

SICK, Paul 13, Disgustipate and 2 others like this.
  26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks to you as well, VO. And agree with the bolded part 100%. I'm glad not everyone on this thread makes knee jerk reactions and assumes based on the thread title that I'm being negative. As of right now I support Tony Sparano 100% and am hoping for a great season.

After reading your comments I tend to agree and am backing off my stance a bit. But I think after an 0-4 start, Tony would need a win within the next couple of games otherwise I think the move would come sooner than mathematical elimination.

27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Because given the schedule, there is probably more than a 50/50 chance we do start out 0-4, and if we go 0-2 after NE & Houston (which is very likely), the odds go up to probably 90/10 we go 0-4.

MB is not being negative, but just thorough in his pre-season scenarios he is going through. To ignore the possibility or dismiss with a condecending "absurd" comment (that was not worthy of you Pads, you are better than that) is to be putting your head in the sand, once again. If anyone wants to bet me that they will be 4-0 or 3-1 as opposed to 1-3 or 0-4 I'm listening. 2-2 of course is a push. I've already bet someone (can't remember who) that I will make an "apology" thread if they do better than I expect.

By the way, I hope I have to make that thread, but I'm sure some of you here don't really believe that. You just can't get past the "herd" mentality.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    What if he wins the Superbro?

29. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I dont know what all the fuss is about. With the tough start to our schedule, and the slow starts under Sparano, and the potential struggles our offense could have with questions under center, I think its possible that we start 0-4. I dont think it's likely. At least I sure as hell hope its not likely. With the fact that our coach is already on the hot seat pretty much after almost getting replaced in the offseason, I think its a very valid question to ask.

That being said, if we start 0-4, I think I'd just can him on the spot and promote Nolan for the time being. I'd maybe wait until we're officially eliminated, but at 0-4, in our division, with it being tough already to get a wildcard spot I'd say that's pretty much being eliminated. Hence the reason I'd vote to fire him. However, that being said, I guess it would depend, if its a close 0-4, where were in every game with a chance to win, then I'd wait it out a bit longer. If were embarrassing ourselves, getting blownout, clearly showing no progress, then you start the change early IMO.

All that being said, I don't think that's going to happen though. I think we beat Houston and Cleveland in weeks 2 and 3, and given the way we played on the road last year, if that continues, our chances in SD aren't to bad.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  30. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    0-4 to 1-5 - anywhere in those 3 weeks, I would expect to see him sacked. If we are that bad, the team would have lost faith in Sparano, no matter what the team & players say to the public / media. In that locker room, Sparano would have less believers than Cam-Cam had at the end.

31. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    He might win the "Superbro" competition, as far as I know he's a pretty good dude ;) - but I think he's a lousy NFL head coach

32. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I dont think that its out of the possibility that we go 0-4. It definitely could happen. I just find it an absurd discussion to have...

33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    We started out 2-0 last season.

34. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    With our luck, we win at home and lose on the road this year.....and end up 7-9 or 8-8. That road thing last year was a fluke, as was the home loss thing. I could see us winning all the home games except NE. I think we can pretty much put that to rest right now. NE looks like they are ready to steamroll everyone, especially early in the season.

35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    What if the world was going to end at 6 o'clock this evening..... How would everyone spend their day?

36. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    In 2008 we started out 2-4 and in 2009 we started 0-3. 2 of the 3 years we started what is considered "slow".

37. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he should get the whole season no matter what.

38. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we started 0-4. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we started 4-0. But if he does start 0-4, after saying he had a plan for every scenario and all, then I'm tempted to say let's see what Mike Nolan can do.

However, I do wonder what happens if they drop both home games to start the season given last year's 1-7 record.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  39. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    0-4 or 4-0, at least we'd know how to feel

I'm more scared of 1-3 or something and another season of being middle of the road of what to do...

I'm a Dolphins fan. I like Sparano and would love to see Henne blossom and make so many folks eat their words. My hope is that we're fighting for a playoff spot the last week of the year in a very tuff division.

The players love playing for Sparano. If Henne has another subpar year, I think he becomes the scapegoat and Sparano gets another season regardless.

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I thought you stepped out of this thread?

If you don't like the thread, that's fine. You've already added your worthless comment. No need to try and hijack it.