1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday Morning Discussion: Our Love of the Miami Dolphins and the Hard Knocks Affect

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Good morning everyone. Sorry if I'm double covering something already talked about in the other Hard Knocks threads, but I thought this might be an interesting discussion for a Friday morning.

I think most of us on this board who post or read regularly can admit to loving the Miami Dolphins, with the exception of some of the AFC East Rival fans who troll :shifty: the boards.

Hard Knocks is giving us such an up close and personal look at the team we have loved for years, for some of us even decades, at a level we have never seen before. I can't remember how many times while watching on Tuesday I thought, "I wish this show would never end" or "I wish it was on throughout the entire season."

It got me wondering: What will the long and short term affects of the Hard Knocks season have on our fandom? Short term, I don't see it as having an adverse reaction unless one of the players really proves to be an *** during the season. Maybe a couple fans won't enjoy Chad Johnson's antics. But overall I think it will be positive. I think the love we have for this team and it's players will be compounded after this season of Hard Knocks. Look at the love Joe Philbin is already getting around here as a rookie headcoach who has yet to even coach his first preseason game. I know we are usually always high on new head coaches, but I've never seen anything like the manlove for Philbin. And despite me voting against him in Dolphin Survivor, I'm right there with you all. I'm giddy about seeing how this guy is going to be as a coach and seeing his philosophies of offense in action.

Long Term I think some interesting things will happen depending on how the team does. If Philbin, Tannehill, and / or other members of this team go on to have significant success in this season or in future seasons we will never forget the look we got at seeing this team get built at the ground level with a new coaching staff. A "we were there when it all got started" type of pride.

If Philbin and specifically Tannehill struggle, because of Hard Knocks I think this will be the most heavily defended coach / QB in recent history. If we thought the Henne, Beck, Sparano, etc. threads were intense, these threads, debates and discussions will be epic. As fans we will be more emotionally attached to this Dolphin cast of characters than any other in recent memory. There will be more of a personal attachment.

Even if Tannehill and Philbin are the real deal it would be crazy to not expect some hardships in this first year. And that's if Tannehill even plays.

Either way, here's hoping Hard Knocks is showing us the start of something special! :up:

djphinfan likes this.
  2. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I just hope people don't expect too much in these preseason game. The score is meaningless, just want the young players who are likely to make the team to look good, and for the veterans to at least look okay during the short time they are in there.

I would assume they will be running the fast tempo offense even in preseason.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hopefully it inspires some young people to be fans of the team.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't know, DJ. I can't imagine younger kids who aren't already a fan of a team having much interest in a show like this, but I guess it's possible. It may inspire some warm weather fans to be more loyal to the team though.

5. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing, I was like I can't believe I am actually watching my team on this show, I was kind of in awe lol

MonstBlitz likes this.