1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun Jarvis Landry stats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Fun Jarvis Landry stats of the day:

Among players to begin their NFL careers with the Dolphins (drafted or undrafted), Jarvis Landry is already has the second most receptions through three seasons. Davone Bess is #1 with 209, and Landry is only 15 behind him. Chris Chambers is third with 164.

Along with leading all such Miami players in receptions through two seasons with 194, Landry is also the leader in yards by almost 300 over Chambers. He is 665 yards behind Chambers for the most through three years.

Through two seasons, Landry has 412 more yards than Mark Clayton, and 912 more than Mark Duper, #2 & #1 on the team's all time list. Landry is currently 22nd all time in receiving yardage for Miami, and would move into the top 15 with another season similar to last year.

Landry is currently tied for 19th in Miami history for most receptions, and could move into the top 10 this year. Every player currently in the top 16 played at least five years with the club. The only player above Landry who did not is Irving Fryar, who played three, and has 5 more catches.

Not surprisingly, Landry leads all Miami players at 6.1 receptions per game. Next is Brandon Marshall at 5.6, and no one else is above 4.4. Despite his low YPC numbers, Landry is also 5th in yards per game, at 59.8, just below Clayton, and above Chambers.

Through their age 23 seasons, Landry leads all other Miami players by more than 100 catches. Ted Ginn is second at 90.

Landry has the 10th most punt return yards in Miami history, with 560, and is one of only 12 players to ever return a punt for a TD. He leads all Miami players with over 20 kick returns with a 27.1 average.

Among players to begin their NFL career with Miami, Landry issecond in all purpose yardage through two seasons, with 3859, which is just 26 yards fewer than Wes Welker.

Among all NFL players, Landry has the 9th most receptions through his age 23 season, and the 31st most yards.

He is the league's all time leader in most receptions through a players second year.

He is the only Dolphins player with two of the top six single season reception totals in team history (#1 & #5).

He and Brandon Marshall are the only players to have two seasons of 80+ receptions, and they also both did it in back to back years.

He could join OJ McDuffie as the only players in team history with back to back to back seasons of 70+ receptions this year. McDuffie did it 1996-98. McDuffie is also the only Dolphins player with 60+ receptions in four straight years.

2. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Good stuff. Can't wait to see him at the first game!

Didn't Little Wesley Wanker begin his NFL career in San Diego?

3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You know, I thought that he had been cut in camp, but it does look like he suited up for them for one game and returned a few kicks, before they released him. My bad.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think Landry is a good player but I can't get excited about him. Just can't. Parker, excites me. Heck, even maybe Carroo. But the hype on Landry is so high but at the end of the day, he's a high volume player. He's great in his role. But guys like AJ Green, Dez Bryant excite me. OBJ is exciting.

Maybe I'm bitter that we passed up on Allen Robinson not once but twice and then took Landry who I feel is limited. We'll see.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Parker excites me too. I think he has the best chance to be a real #1 WR of anyone we've had in decades. But Landry is extremely useful and productive, and I really love how much he's been able to do so far. A lot like McDuffie, who was always one of my favorite players.

Agua likes this.
  6. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yes, Landry is a great player to have on the team. He's no Welker, but even then it was Moss that excited you. I want our Randy Moss.

7. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    There's randy Moss, Terrell Owens,etc......and than there's winners.... Like Marvin Harrison, Jarvis Landry, etc.... What excites you ? Talent and flair ? Or hard work and dedication to helping the team win ?

Queue mike singletary....

Interesting nobody likes how Landry compares to Antonio Brown, who I assume isn't exciting or flamboyant enough for our taste either.

Puka-head likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Harrison ended up actually being a worse person off the field than either of the first two, surprisingly. And though I was never a fan of either Moss nor Owens, I will never hold team accomplishments against an individual player, nor will I prop up someone who was along for the ride on a great team.

jdang307 likes this.
  9. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    All irrelavant....whatever Marvin did didn't negatively effect his team like the other two are infamous for...... And yes...he was an integral part of ONE winning organization for a decade....either way, what the heck are these numbers anyway ?

comparing him to other Dolphins who've played a whole extra season of games ? Let's compare him to every other WR in NFL history after 2 seasons..... Now there's an exciting stat!
    The best one he's got, yet not even mentioned!?!?!?

10. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    By winners I assume you mean good people? Cause both Moss and Owens sure were winners. How did what Moss or Owens do affect their teams? Owens won like 5 Super Bowls, I'll take that "loser"

11. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I agree he is a volume guy, but I think with a different QB he would be even more electric.

12. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I pretty much agree, but I do think Landry is exciting to watch, although Parker's/Carroo's potential is much more exciting from a team aspect.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I criticized Landry for being physically limited, I'll never minimize or count out a player with as much heart and professionalism as he has. When he was drafted I stated that if he has as much heart as reported that he could potentially become our Hines Ward. A borderline HOF player is nothing to sneeze at.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that he's living up to that too. I knew nothing about him when he was drafted at all, beyond a few small things I'd read in draft preview magazines, but when the Hines Ward comps started getting thrown around, I was intrigued. He's well on his way.

15. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I think he compares in some ways to Ward, but he's no Hines Ward, I think Landry is carving his own mark, and I think closer comparisons are Welker and Bess.

One of Wards signature traits was being intimidating, he knocked out LBs, broke a LBs jaw, and the NFL had to actually change a rule because of Ward's blocking destruction.

Hines Ward was one of, if not the most intimidating blocking WR in NFL history, and that is his legacy, Landry does a good job blocking, but will never be confused with Ward in that regard.

Not trying to take anything away from Landry, but he's not Ward, and I think he's carving his own mark as a scrappy, never quit WR.

jdang307 likes this.
  16. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Huh? Antonio Brown is absolutely exciting. I'm not talking about flair on the field and off it (AJ Green) I'm talking about performance. High ypc outside receivers. Marvin Harrison is more Randy moss than Landry.

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's a much better Davone Bess so far nothing leads me to believe he resembles Hines Ward. Completely different styles.

At the end of the day he's. 10 ypc player. Hopefully he gets higher than that. Maybe a Julian Edelman. Cool if you have a Gronk or Moss beside you.

dolphin25 likes this.
  18. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Is there a stat for how many defenders run over on one play? Cuz he probably leads all Dolphins WR in that category, just from the Titans game.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  19. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Yeah, I'll take me some AB, not sure where the comparison to him is, besides height and weight.

20. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Are you high ? They got ran off multiple teams, and Owens neither ever won a Super Bowl. Owens came close that one year he was hurt all postseason.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Jarvis actually came into the league with a reputation for his big hits on STs at LSU so him being seen as an intimidating blocker doesn't seem a stretch to me. Obviously the NFL has changed and many of Ward's blocks would now be illegal, but there are clear similarities there. And Ward was a a career 12 YPC guy in an offense that threw a bit deeper than what Miami has been so again I don't see all that much difference between Ward and Landry especially considering the same points in their careers. Ward reached his more typical performance levels in year 4 (Ward didn't get over 700 yards in any of his first 3 years). Landry's year 2 was better than Ward's and pretty similar to Ward in his fourth year. We'll see if Landry can match Ward's longevity and sustained production, but it's looking pretty promising thus far.

Year G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    Ward year 4
    2001 16 94 1,003 10.7 62.7 34 4 13 0 52 1

Landry year 2
    2015 16 110 1,157 10.5 72.3 50T 4 10 3 60 0

http://www.nfl.com/player/hinesward/2503532/careerstats
    http://www.nfl.com/player/jarvislandry/2543488/careerstats

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ward was catching passes a little further from the LOS compared to Landry. Landry's first year here, he was catching them 3.5 from the LOS on average. year 2 he improved, to 5 yards from the LOS. Maybe that's due to offense design and he's fully capable of being a little bit of a deeper WR. We'll see.

I'm not even talking about blocks, but the hits Ward would lay while carrying the ball. Landry is shiftier, quicker. Ward is more punishing and direct. But when talking about blocking, kids are smaller in the college than the NFL. Landry isn't punishing many people in the NFL like Ward did.

Watching Landry highlights he displays none of the power Ward had. None. He's actually quite easy to push over.

Finster likes this.
  23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    AB is arguably the best WR in the league, at least top 3 if you had your pick.

Finster likes this.