1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the "wildcat"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TiP54, Oct 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    As we all know, our beloved Dolphins run the "wildcat" which was ran at Arkansas last year. Coach Sparano said there are more "wrinkles" to this offense that people haven't seen yet (like when Ricky made it look like he is throwing it to Chad)
    So the question is, what are they, and will they be stopped?
    The smartest(and easiest) thing to do would be to check out last years tapes of Arkansas, and see what else they ran out of that formation. Problem is...if I thought of that, Im sure other Dcoordinators are few steps ahead of me.
    So im wondering if there are any Arkansas followers, or just anybody who has seen them play last year, and know what else they might run out of that awesome formation?

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I was curious as well. I checkedyutube a few days ago and the best I found was a youtube. It looks like the wild hog offense only has 3 plays with "options." The dolphins have used 4 (including the pass).

For example, running back up the middle was called "Power." The RB has a few choices as to where to run.

I just found that vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR76aoKghM8]YouTube - How Does Darren McFadden Do It?[/ame]

TiP54 likes this.
  3. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Wild Cat? The package should be called the Cheshire WildCat from now on!

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It really comes down to execution. The wildcat negates the advantage that the D usually has in run plays. It makes it 10 on 10. So I doubt that anybody is going to come up with some exotic formation to stop the wildcat. That doesn't mean it's unstoppable. It just means that teams will have to drill so they understand how make the right reads against that formation. My guess is that our O will be ahead of most of the opponents they face with it for the rest of the season. Some teams will blow it up occasionally but over the course of the game I like our odds. You can see that in the SD game. They did a nice job stopping it early but over the course of the game we out executed them.

5. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    The only wrinkle i see is Ginn replacing Ricky and takes the hand off.

From there, Ginn would have space to run to the outside and use his speed to get down field. If he draws defenders he has the option to pass it. He played some QB in high school so he can throw better than ricky. If this happens he better not get trigger happy and throw in coverage.

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I was thinking that Ricky takes the hand off...runs to the sideline (like a regular reverse) and then throws it back to Chad across the field (behind the LOS) so he could throw it to a TE that sneaks behind a linebacker.

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd just like to see Ginn in the slot and pull a run like williams did against the pats. the only thing that kept williams from going the distance (besides bowling a few guys over) was the sideline. Ginn is years younger than ricky and would just blow by them. the D would just be standing there scratching their head.

8. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ginn isnt as physical as good ol Ricky.
    He is fast..but he needs to get a bit more physical.