1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Impact on Tannehill per other AFCE Reporters:

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I thought these two were pretty interesting comments. Cimini's is particularly telling and pretty spot on, imo. But, both offer salient points:

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/21603/afc-east-qa-what-will-dolphins-coach-adam-gases-impact-be-on-ryan-tannehill

There was a third comment from Mike Rodak of the Bills, but I could not bring myself to share a quote that was so shallow and lacking in insight - it could have come from a Bills Jr. High fan board.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think from the other teams' perspectives, when they A) Knew exactly what was coming, and that RT couldn't get out of the play, and B) They could abuse and overwhelm the Miami OL, they knew that they only had to worry so much. Obviously, we're all hoping that Gase fixes those easy mistakes of the past staff, and we now get the most out of RT and the other players.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think our division rivals are very, very sad that Joe Philibin is gone.

Da 'Fins, dolfan7171, Fin-O and 6 others like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He definitely does not maximize his skillset because he chooses to stay in the pocket the majority of the time instead of threatening a defense with a dual threat skillset..defenses at this point know where he is going to be and that is his fault..it's time for him to threaten on purpose so it makes the defenders think and hesitate more instead of teeing off to a spot..and if you don't think the book is out on that inside def meeting of our opponents, I would bet your wrong..

Biggest weakness that needs to be fixed, biggest way to help our offense..use your fu##in legs to get yourself out of trouble a hell of a lot more that you do..convert, and make an individual play to help your team stay on the field.its not rocket science, some of the greatest of all time do it..

5. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Comes with pocket presence which he has not displayed at this point in his career on a consistent basis.Not sure how u coach that up.

Da 'Fins and Finster like this.
  6. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    To be fair, who knows if those jackasses instructed him to stay in the pocket and go through his reads?

That's some conservative BS I could see Philbin implanting. But who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da 'Fins likes this.
  7. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I don't disagree, but instincts have to kick in at some point, will to win has to click in your mind an say "**** this guy, I'm doing what I have to to win", because that has happened to many a QB, where they just go off script to do what they have to do.

The problem I think, is that we are seeing his instincts, and they aren't that good.

jdang307 likes this.
  8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How do you think having a coach not backing him and trying to replace him, even when he was doing what the coaches asked, affected his mentality?

Honest question, I really think you guys don't consider these factors when you pass these judgements.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I've said it a million times and it's still true imo. Ryan has very little impact on of we win or lose and it's strange to feel that way about a QB.

He does need to be more of a playmaker, Gase is his last shot at being a top QB in this league. If we get the same average lackadaisical performances AGAIN? I'm moving on from RT.

Call me crazy, but I think Gase turns him into a top 10 QB this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    :ohmy:

I thought you moved on from him awhile ago. LOL

I agree, though, I think he needs to take another step this season, or they'll probably go another direction.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    They did... Philbin mentioned it several times. He wanted Tannehill in the pocket and getting the ball out. Lazor said the same thing and that in his schemes, the ball was to be out of Tannehill's hands by the time he reached his drop and that Tannehill had to trust the schemes and the receivers to do their job.

Sherman mentioned it as well, and also how Philbin wasn't into offensive balance or cared about running the ball.

On a side note, Philbin never developed a QB at any level. Aaron Rodgers was groomed and developed under Darrel Bevell and Tom Clements. Too bad we didn't hire Clements as well as opposed to Sherman's son-in-law.

12. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No doubt the coaching hurt him. But, I don't think anyone is passing an unfair judgment. It's simply still an open question as to whether he has good pocket instincts (which he still needs to develop) or whether he can make quick decisions. Hopefully Gase will help coach him up to make those quick decisions and provide the OL protection to give him some added confidence and poise in the pocket. But, being smart and the ability to make quick decisions are two different things. Some people have a quick wit but are not more intelligent than others. It's just an open question at this point. I am hopeful Gase will allow him to grow and that the Dolphins will also be patent to let him grow into the position.

Finster likes this.
  13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The methodical/mechanical aspect of his play is what I sense from watching him, and what leaves me in doubt that he can take the next huge step. All the great ones have some innate ability to wow you time and time again. Something unexpected. I haven't get that feeling from Tanny. He's a high floor, low ceiling guy for me, so far.

What bothers me the most is he's never been prolific or elite his entire career. He has never dominated his competition at college or in the pros.

Finster likes this.
  14. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Truth? To be an elite signal caller you have to be very strong minded, and if that type of stuff is screwing him up then that is more evidence that he isn't the guy, if what you're saying is true, which we don't even know.