1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Figured I'd start it now.

I have 2 theories about the story not just Season 3.

1. John Snow is not Ned Stark's son. He is his sister's son, from when she was raped by the Targarian.
    2. Jaqen is Syrio.

I'm probably wrong on both counts.

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Best show on TV right now.

3. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You haven't read the books have you? I have a comment on 1 but wouldn't want to ruin anything for you if you don't want to know.

LiferYank likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No I haven't. Not much of a reader. My wife is reading them, well almost through Book 1 anyway.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Best show ever, imo.

6. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    K, I will say nothing then. I have more info than you but I have a definitive opinion on your point 1.

Fin D likes this.
  7. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah can't wait for it to start back up. I normally don't like sic-fi / fiction stuff in general but my boys convinced me to try this show out and I love it.

btw Henne I liked your previous avatar lol my favorite character on the show.

Fin D likes this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    crazy. My dad's read like the whole series. Never seen the show. That fools crazy. lol

Fin D likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Like Killer I don't generally like the fantasy stuff. Too silly generally. Too "protagonist gets painted into a corner so there's a convenient plot device heretofore unmentioned that saves the day ala Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings".

But this is so not that. We're talking characters as complicated as the Wire. Complicated relationships and arcs. Acted perfectly, written beautifully....and not one single fluck is given to typical conventions.

You have to steal HBO from your neighbors and try it. Give it 3 episodes.

SICK likes this.
  10. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The books are amazing and so is the show. He has kept to the book very well.

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    well I want to read the books first. As that's just my style. I like fantasy though. Think you can do so much more with it. But yeah, one day I'll catch the series. Now the wire, I need to watch that somewhere.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Quite being a lazy piece of **** then and start reading it. You have until tomorrow or the sweet lovin' stops.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Through book 5. Hoping the fat bastard can finish 6 and 7 before he dies but not likely. It's a great show, and an amazing series of books, but the guy is a windbag (writes too much to make a simple point), getting up there in age, and not the most healthy looking guy. What I'm saying is, as good as this show and these books are, the odds of getting a satisfying conclusion to the series are not good. To put things in perspective, it took him 7 years to get the last book out. He's 65 I think. And to make matters worse he's not really that focused on the books, but now involved in the HBO shows. Apparently he's told the producers of the show how it ends in case he dies, but without his books to guide the storyline, I wonder how big the drop off would be. If I had known how much he drags his *** and how old before he was beforehand, I don't think I would have ever started reading the books, I'd just stick to the show.

Serpico Jones and pacadermng67 like this.
  14. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    You surmised 1 from only watching?

Only a handful of people know the answer to that question of Jon's parents. So there is really nothing to spoil. We don't know

I expect season three to be better than season two. Book three was the best book of the five. I think book three will be spread over two seasons

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Fin D likes this.
  15. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Man you need to get on The Wire, like right now.

MikeHoncho and unluckyluciano like this.
  16. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yeah he is now a celebrity and making appearances all over. He also signed a deal with HBO to work on some other things top

I agree that's it's very possible that he doesn't finish the books.

I expect the show to start diverting from the books in the next couple of seasons. There are large parts of Feast and Dance that are not going to work on TV IMO. There is also the issue of new characters that show up

Even as a reader fully invested in the story,I had a hard time giving a crap about some is the new characters

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Rhaegar Targaryen's bastard? Interesting. The books address several times how much Jon Snow physically resembles Ned Stark. It is one of the reasons he's disliked as much as he is by Catelyn Stark. Because he looks more like Ned than the sons that she gave him. The books say that Rhaegar kidnapped Stark's sister and then ended up raping and killing her. It never really addresses how long she was in his custody so bearing a Targaryen bastard probably is not completely out of the question.

Fin D likes this.
  18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Books first are the best way to go. The onscreen adaptation of the books has been excellent so far but television can never quite match the detail and amount of story you can get.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I thought five books were it. On one hand it's good to hear there will be more but if they're rushed and don't maintain the quality of the first three then maybe he should just stop. As long as he puts some effort into it though. He's created such an excellent story world, one could write a thousand great stories set in Westeros.

I'm almost finished with A Storm of Swords right now. It's been very good. He could cut a significant number of pages from his books if he got rid of all the stupid clothing descriptions. I've been willing to forgive that because the rest has been so good. Also he's bad about telling me what every character has for breakfast.... As if I care about that.

20. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Umm that's not what the books say, that was Rovert Baratheon's spin on it. If you read the books carefully you will see that Rhaegar was in a loveless political marriage and Stark's sister was actually his true love.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Oh and I forgot part of my theory....John Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are twins.

Yes by watching the show, and my wife reading the first book and us talking about it.

"Hot" and "Cold" seem to be major themes throughout the story so far and as I understand even play a part in some of the book titles too. I think "hot" and "cold" are literal themes (south and north, winter and summer, fire and ice, dragons and wolves) but I also think they are figurative as a meaning for opposites (taking the black & white walkers, Jamie & Tyrion, Littlefinger & the eunuch, Sansa & Arya, Snow's black hair & Danny's blonde hair).

Then with Ned so reluctant to talk about it....would seem it was because he was ashamed, but I don't believe Ned would have betrayed Kaitlyn. Its just not in him. So instead I think he's reluctant to talk about it, because its a secret.

maynard likes this.
  22. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    lol. The story is no closer to resolution after book five than after book three. It's actually probably father away. The only way this ends in two books is if all the characters end up in the same space and the pacing is that same as Storm

MonstBlitz, LiferYank and muscle979 like this.
  23. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I haven't read them all yet. I have Robert's accounts and bits and pieces from people who knew Rhaegar [in the Daenarys chapters] that suggest it may not have been true. Up to the point I'm at there has been no mention of whether Stark's sister herself loved Robert, Rhaegar, or neither of them. So at the point I'm at many scenarios are still possible, even Fin D's idea.

Don't click this spoiler if you haven't read through book three at least.

I think Jon is going to shed his bastard name and become a Stark at some point. Rob wanted to do it but was killed so this is another feasible scenario. Last chapter I read [I'm reading a Storm of Swords] with Jon Snow was when he was arrested at the wall by Janos Slynt as a turncloak and threatened with hanging. I'm going to be seriously pissed if he doesn't get out of this.

24. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Daenerys is the daughter of the mad king Aerys so that's doubtful. Interesting but doubtful. You're right about the hot and cold theme. The series of books is actually called 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.

Fin D likes this.
  25. HBO's adaptation has been criticized as being exploitive toward women due to all the nudity (which I am a very big fan of, really sexy women on the show) I have found the show to be the exact opposite and very pro-woman. Very strong female characters in it on many different levels.

maynard likes this.
  26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Big clues are in book one with Ned recalling the rebellion and finding his sister dying where she asks him to make a promise. It's not just the promise but WHO Ned had to go through in order to see his sister.

The reveal of Jon's parents can be either consequential to the entire realm or just something that only the reader finds out.

The great thing is that I have absolutely no idea how this thing is going to end

27. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Ding ding ding ding!

That scene is VERY important.

28. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    And Peter Dinklage is an absolute god in this show. Serious scene stealer.

muscle979, shula_guy and Fin D like this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Full Disclosure: In the Fin D household, we think Peter Dinklage looks like House (Hugh Laurie) but because he's a small we call him a small house...Bungalow.

maynard likes this.
  30. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm going to have to go back to that book and dig that scene up.

31. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yeah and I'll admit that a lot of things went over my head while reading, just be very careful looking things up online. I once had something spoiled just by Google auto filling a search :mad:

32. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yes and while very revealing by analysis, it still raises many more questions lol

33. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yeah he's great, no doubt.

I'm still waiting for the friendship that Tyrion and Jon Snow established in book/season one to mean something down the road.

34. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Haha yep, I pretty much avoid that now. I have the book on Kindle Fire so I'll probably just try a search on his sister's name [Lyanna?]

35. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yeah but it's also the same crowd that said Seth McFarlane celebrates rape at the Oscars.

Yes. Very strong women, however incompetent lol

36. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yes. And maybe Tower of Joy... Where it went down

muscle979 likes this.
  37. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Mr too. Them getting along can't be minor IMO. I have a feeling that one of them is going to need the other to vouch for them

38. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It's only staying true to the story though. The story is set in a world where women don't generally have many rights. I don't know what people expect them to do.. change the story entirely?

39. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    OK I'm going to fry your minds here....

First you have to understand that Lyanna loved blue roses and almost any reference you see in this series to roses probably is at ;least an indirect reference to her. For someone we never meet directly in the narrative this is a character that has a lot of weight. With that in mind everything that follows is a quote...

"Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me Ned...Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm dead and black....

OK so Lyanna's death scene and she makes Ned promise her something, something so significant to her that she is more concerned with it than dying. also from one of Ned's dreams in A Game of Thrones

"Promise me, Ned," Lyanna's statue whispered. She wore a garland of pale blue roses, and her eyes wept blood.

Whatever this promise was it weighed on Ned heavily.

Now something else that is mentioned frequently is the tournament at Harrenhal, which Prince Rhaegar won. Customarily a knight crowns his wife/beloved the queen of beauty, but that is not the case here...

Ned remembered the moment when all the smiles died, when Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish Princess Elia Martell, to lay the queen of beauty's laurel in Lyanna's lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, as blue as frost.

Holy crikey Batman! First there is the obvious show of love to a woman he is not married to in front of everyone, but also it is a crown of blue roses! This is the act of a man in love, not a man who rapes a woman. I submit that Lyanna was Rhaegar's true love and she shared the feeling even though it was forbidden as he was married to seal an alliance with Dorne.

Now who is Jon's parents? Here is the one that seals the deal to me...

A couple of snippets from Daenarys's vision in the house of the dying, first

Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name

Obvious reference to Rhaegar who dies with a woman's name on his lips. Note they do not say it was his wife...

OK so we know blue roses are the symbol of Lyanna and Rhaegar gave her a crown of blue roses, this next one is also from Dany's vision and is the clencher to me. It's a small one though so if you blink you miss it...

A blue flower grew from a chink in a wallof ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

The wall of ice is an obvious reference. Is the blue flower Jon Snow? The son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar targaryen's forbidden love? Was Lyanna's dying wish for Ned to hide her son as his own bastard since he would be in danger if he was marked as Rhaegar's bastard? This would explain both why Jon Snow resembles a Stark and why Ned kept him as close as his own children. I submit that Robert spun the story as rape because of his jealousy. the truth was Lyanna and Rhaegar shared a forbidden love that ended tragically.

maynard and muscle979 like this.
  40. Im at a disadvantage because you are way ahead of me having read the books I have only watched it on HBO.

ATM
    All the Stark women seem pretty sharp
    The dragon princess seems smart
    The red headed sorceress who had the kings demon might be very cunning or very stupid
    The young kings newly betrothed bride seems like she is going to turn out to be smart
    The Valkyre chick who serves momma stark might not be smart but certainly she is a powerful character
    The sister in the iron islands seems very strong too
    The whores are portrayed as clever women as well
    The Queen seems a bit average but not stupid

Mamma Starks sister is the only weak character that readily comes to mind. She might just be crazy Imn ot sure about her.

My point was I watched the entire series before I knew they were based on books but after I learned that I half expected to learn that they were written by a woman. The story almost feels as if it was writtenf rom a womans perspective. The women of this realm are treated like a commodity by the men but they seem to have more control over the shape of things then do the men. Even the dwarf is somewhat under the whores control.

the one who interests me the most is thed ragon princess. Once they are grown, if they survive, she is going to have 3 dragons for the rest of the realm to contend with. There is a lot ofr eally good foreshadowing going on. Im glad to hear that the story remains unpredictable and keeps the audience guessing.