1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    MikeHoncho, Zippy and ToddPhin like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Only 8 months to go....

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I really want to know what Al Swearingen's role will be. A flashback, possibly? There are 2 flashback characters he would be really good as.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Adding Ian McShane to the cast is about as good as it gets. And I'm pretty sure I know who he's playing and he'll be mixing it up in King's Landing this season. Now all they need to do is get James Purefoy on board, who would be perfect for another new character set to make their appearance.

Which is probably why season 5 was viewed as being off-balance and not progressing quick enough. Cutting up AFFC/ADWD into two seasons is a terrible idea. Both books are too bloated for television. Good news is, season 6 should return with a bang.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Deerless Dice and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    love Max von Sydow, ever since Dune

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There are some new casting calls out. Without spoiling, it looks like Season 6 is going to have at least a few flashbacks to establish missing backstory, similar to the Cersei flashback at the beginning of Season 5.

8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm reading the fifth book at the moment, and one passage just struck me funny. Does anybody know if this part, in one of Tyrion's chapters, was a veiled hit at the Cheatriots:

"The Life of the Triarch Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by giants."

dolfan22, Fin D and Clark Kent like this.
  9. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Awesome first episode.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Fin D likes this.
  12. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I guess McShane spoiled something (I didn't read it) and after some fan backlash, his response was awesome. "Christ, It's only **** and dragons!" haha.

I liked the premiere. Glad to have GoT back. Shame I can never fap to Melisandre again :pity:

13. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Well, not with that attitude.

Clark Kent likes this.
  14. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Sick episode. Despite bouncing around to a lot of different characters, I thought the pacing was still pretty strong and everyone's story is moving forward. I'll discuss the ending more a bit later, after I'm sure everyone has watched.

Harmalama likes this.
  15. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Well, things certainly happened in that episode....

I really liked Jamie's scene with the High Sparrow.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  16. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Don't watch if you've not seen last night's episode yet...

[video=youtube;tGJ_kOu2raI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJ_kOu2raI[/video]

MikeHoncho and Clark Kent like this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, so why is no one talking about....

Tyrion and the dragons? Doesn't that scene pretty much cement that he's part Targaryen and a dragon rider? I think we'll find out that Daenerys isn't all Targaryen either and that her John and Tyrion are all bastards that unite on dragons to save the world.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  18. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Looking forward to having the Mountain play paddy-cake with the Sparrow's face.

I thought he would be inside Ghost for a second.

Interesting theory. To the bitter end, Tywin never acknowledges Tyrion as a son, and treated him worse than a bastard. This would be a pretty cool twist actually.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  19. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    After the Thrones mentioned the possibility of Theon returning home and ruling the Iron Islands. Didn't even think about that. I'm not sure it would happen given how scarred he has been mentally. Maybe he helps Yara gain control.

20. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    :yes: fantastic episode. A bit hollywood there at the end. I loved how the direwolf reacts before he awakes. Like how dogs can sense earthquakes. Direwolf sensed him crossing back.

21. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

Just have one:
    Mad King Al Swearingen Targeryan

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think that's exactly what will happen.

He's definitely gonna help her.

I think a theme that has been happening that no one is talking about is there is a fairly big contingent of people who are desperately trying to serve others. From the Onion Knight to Hodor to Brianne to the Undead Mountain to the direwolves to the dragons to Variyas, to even Jaime when it comes to Cerci (and Tyrion) etc. Then you have people with varying levels of ambition that operate in that construct of servant and master, like Sansa, Cerci, Tyrion, Barn, etc.

Theon went from someone who wanted to be master to someone who wants to be a servant.

Moving away form Theon but building off the servant master point I was making.....there are 3 entities who follow no rules and no constructs....Littlefinger, Ramsey & Arya...all 3 are agents of chaos who do what they want.

23. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Loved:
    John is back! And Wildlings! Giants! Hell yeah!

Tyrion and the dragons - a phenomenal scene and bit of acting. Not sure it establishes him as Targ, but it is a good possibility. Especially here in the show where we don't have a bunch of random wannabes popping up.

The Jaime scene with the Sparrow. Well done on both sides. I loved the implicit acknowledgement of sexism and power disparity going back and forth. Sparrow hinting loudly he has a definite plan. Will be interesting to see - that is a book arc I was looking forward to.
    Liked:
    The Theon pennance arc, good direction for a character that may have been difficult. I don't agree with him just helping Yara though, not a fan of her in the books or show. I really like Euron in the books, but ... I'll get to that.

Branflake is back with Max von Sydow. Good nothing great. The flashback was cool, a nice reference to episode 1 with Jon and Bran. The Child of the Forest was cool looking, the Meera part ominous.

Dorne and the Sand Snakes were not present. God they suck so hard.
    Meh to bleh:
    Euron seemed weird to me. In the show he came off as a certifiable badass. Mysterious dude came back out of nowhere, incredible timing (which he likely did via assassination), a trove of treasures and crazy ****, immediately gets the Ironborn rallied and moving toward Dany. I genuinely wanted to see where that went in the books. The weirdo on the bridge was not what I had in mind. I don't like any of the Ironborn. Meh.

Arya's stuff just bores me. Better than the previous season, but wake me later for her stuff.

Ramsey is just ... he just needs to end and soon. Real soon. Or just be glossed over. It's like they have a contest to see how comically awful they can make him. He is not chaotic at all to me, it's just tired seeing him try to one-up himself every damn episode. I am tired of him and his over the top actions. Though I wonder if the show does have anything planned between him and the Freys now, though his likely demise seems to be riding to Castle Black where he unwittingly faces a united Watch and Wildling army that then conquers the North for Jon while Dany/Tyrion conquer the South, Jon and Dany marry and everyone lives mildly ever after. One major issue I have with the Boltons though ... Roose was really fool enough to let Ramsey do that? REALLY? ROOSE ****ING BOLTON!?!?!?! LAME!

24. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    My favorite part of the episode was definitely Bran and the three eyed Raven going back in time. Looks like there's more to come too, which is a great thing. In addition, Greenseers (SP??) have the ability to visit the future too. And we know that Bran had a vision of a large, dragon shaped shadow, flying over King's Landing in an earlier season. Perhaps that was a past event? If it's the future, perhaps we'll get more glimpses of things to come too.

25. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah it looks like next week may be the big tower flashback. Some good fighting from that I hope with three top Kingsguard vs. Ed Stark and his merry men.

Clark Kent likes this.
  26. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Bran saw the greyjoys sacking winterfell

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

27. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    "What kind of god has a peckah daht smahll?"

28. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Pycell after the Mountain walks in... :sidelol:

Paul 13 likes this.
  29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I replayed that part a few times

MikeHoncho likes this.
  30. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    My unorganized recap and assessment

- Jon's alive and thankfully, Tormund Giantsbane breaks the ice by pointing out that no god could have a dick as small as Jon's :lol: Athough I wasn't a huge fan at the time of killing Mance Rayder, I'm glad Giantsbane has picked up some of that slack. And my guess is that he'll serve a similar role to Jon, as he did Rayder, as his right hand man. Snow, who previously killed the boy to become a man, now literally kills the boy. I'm not really sure what that that whole sequence with Ollie was about. Sure, Snow felt sorry for the kid, but I'm not sure what the subtext of this scene was suppose to mean. The quiet starring and sorrowful looks from snow, met with icy dagger stares from Ollie... It felt wrong. Like, Ollie shouldn't be as angry as he was. Let's be honest, he did what he did, but I always thought Ollie did it because there was no choice. Seemed like his hatred of Jon came from nowhere. Not even the others were as angry. He also quit the nights watch... Technically, his watch did end when he died. But what now? Where is he going? Did he forget about the war coming between white walkers and men? The last thing he saw, before the daggers, was King "come at me bro" raising his puppets from their deaths. Does he have any interest in any of it anymore? Not to mention, Rickon is now going to be used by Ramsey to entice a fight. And Sansa is coming... Is he going to just miss her, as he leaves to go wherever he is going? Will he run into Bran, who is on a path to discover some information that might make Jon very interested? And what of the red woman and Davos? Mel is shocked to see a living Jon Snow, and implies that he may be the prince who was promised. She can't just let him walk out on her. Perhaps Jon, Davos, and Mel will journey together... Or perhaps Jon will have a change of heart? Lots of things happening at the wall and I haven't a clue where it's going. Good stuff.

- Last week, I wondered where Cersei was going from a character standpoint. Was she being genuine with Tommen, or subtlety manipulating him? Maybe both. She's going through the five stage of grief and she's onto the anger stage now. Kings Landing may get interesting again, after a step backwards since the end of season 4, where Tyrion murdered Tywin. That was the last super interesting event, but in addition to the High Sparrow and Cersei drama, we now have Jaime back, Dr. Frankenstein assuming a new role as the master of whispers, and Uncle Kevan has returned to the screen. That part is kind of important, because King's Landing needs an authority figure outside of Tommen/Cersei. Not mention the Queen of Thornes is always great. Hopefully they can create some interesting dynamics and act as foil for Cersei and company, in whatever is to come. Which appears to be another trial. This time, with Cersei as defendant, in the same shoes as Tyrion. P.S. Am I the only one not loving Jaime this season? He's my favorite character, but I miss the sardonic Jaime. The one who was pushed towards leadership, but never wanted it and never took it seriously. He's getting a bit stiff for my liking. Long season ahead though.

- Ramsey and Smalljon's convo was great. We've never really seen anyone stand up to him and the Umbers aren't about to take his **** and Smalljon was happy to call him on his BS, while still creating an alliance. Rickon is back too. I'm not really invested in him enough to care about him though. Hopefully that changes.

- Dany is... boring. Ugh. I feel like I've been saying this every season since season 3, but her storyline is terrible. She started out so strong in seasons 1 and 2, but Martin ****ed up by constantly having story lines that have nothing to do with her purpose. I know once she get's to Westeroes, it's the game changer, but she has nothing to really do in the meantime. Now she's a captive and no one care who she is... Great. My guess, is that she somehow manages to convince the Kahl's to serve her, and head to Westeroes, as Drago was going to. But the journey isn't looking as fun as the destination, in this case. Maybe we'll get to see Drago again, like in the house of the undying. They'll hold some seance or something, I don't know... I hope something interesting happens. At least they gave us boobs in the past... Boooo camera angles.

- Marreen isn't as interesting as I'd hoped it would be... Vary's interrogation was somewhat interesting. A look into his thought process and ability to make enemies become friends. And it helps to shape what's to come. Tyrion's attempt at small talk was cringeworthy. Not just because it was intended to be in the context of the scene, but because it was terrible filler. I was hoping for more from Tyrion and Vary's attempt at running the city. I was hoping Tyrion would return to his season 2 form, as a Machiavellian ruler with all the instincts and abilities of Tywin Lannister, without the cruelness. There's still a ways to go this season, and Tyrion want's to open a dialog with the Queen's enemies. There's potential still, but I hope it picks up sooner rather than later.

- The girl who is no one got her montage to advance her plot a bit. That's good. Hopefully, we can now get into the mythology of the faceless men. That has potential to be super interesting.

- Sam and Guilly on a boat. No thanks. It could be interesting to visit Sam's father though. We'll see how that one plays out, but by in large, I'm not as interested in Sam's story. Not yet anyway. Oldtown and the Maesters might be interesting. Like other subgroups, the mythology and how it ties into the end game, is what will ultimately tell us if it was a worth it. Right now, the mythology on a number of fronts for various groups is frustratingly non existent.

- Bran! The part of the episode I was most interested was the fight between Sir Author Dane and Ned. I wish they could of added some dialog that would of extrapolated on the relationship between Ned and Dane. Namely, with Dane's sister, who Ned was in love with, prior to the Mad King killing his father and brother and being forced to Marry Catelyn. Not to mention, the mutual respect between the two men in general. The fight scene was solid, one of the best the show has done, and Dane didn't disappoint as a fighter. He pretty much ****ed up everyone single highhandedly. Sadly, the ending of that scene was cut short by the three eyed Raven. I wonder, will we get to see the Mad King at some point? I'd love to see the trail by combat between the Starks and the Mad King's champion, "fire." It was an insane moment in the books and I'd love to see it on TV. With Bran's story line and visitations to the past, there's so much potential for good stuff. Obviously, I want to go back to the Tower of Joy and Ned's discovery of what's inside, but at least we know we're going to get it at some point.

gunn34 likes this.
  31. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Three Eyed Raven works for AMC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I actually enjoyed Tyrion's scene.

gunn34 and sports24/7 like this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ollie hating Jon was set up and explained. The Wildings killed his family and village. Jon let them through. And now he's cheated death from that kid's hands and is going to kill him....with the help of the Wildings.

ollie is a child, his motivations aren't complex.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    heh...

[video=youtube;-vcQdcaYPA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcQdcaYPA0[/video]

Boik14, Clark Kent and rafael like this.
  35. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

One part I forgot about, was the scene with Tommen and the Sparrow. Tommen marches in, ready for a fight, and in the end, gets seduced by the High Sparrow. Kid is gullible, but what does that mean for that story arc in the future? And where does Tommen fit in between his Cersei/Jaime and his hand (Uncle Kevan) and his small counsel? The last person to talk to Tommen seems to have the most influence. At some point, isn't he going to have to pick a side?

36. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Tower: Probably Jon being born from Lyanna. Sounded like birth pains.

I can't wait for Tommen to get killed off.

37. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I know, just posting a meme.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  38. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I didn't understand, if Arya was supposed to be no one why was she asked to recite who her family was and who's on her kill list. That didn't make sense.

39. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    She was being questioned about Arya and answered for Arya, not as Arya. If that sentence makes any sense... lol. Basically, Arya never answered in the first person. The game the two girls were playing as the lying game. Basically testing their skills as a liar and as a lie detector.

Ludacris likes this.
  40. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The whole Arya arc pisses me off. I don't see any direction other than maybe she will turn into some super-assassin that kills an important figure. But it takes a boring 80 episode training montage to get there. Not a fan of her arc in either the book or movie. What does she do when she is done? Is she actually "no one?" What about Nymeria her direwolf leading a huge pack of wolves now?

The intriguing theory I have heard pop up a few times is the possibility of a
    Clegane Bowl II. With Cersei obviously planning to go the trial by combat with zombie Gregor (poor Mayce and Pycell, haha), the faith would need a champion to stand against him. Rumors have it that the champion is the Hound himself in a "not dead yet!" moment. Would make sense.

Also interesting to see
    Osha and Rickon
    getting back into it. Some rumors that they are planted by
    the Umbers, who in the book are more loyal to the Starks. Additionally, in the books it was clear that Mance Rayder was not dead and was sent secretly to Winterfell - potentially to assassinate Ramsey. Perhaps Osha and Rickon will fill a similar role? I swear to god though, if we get the rest of the season to see Ramsey doing horrible things to them ... ugh. I am over him.
    The biggest problem I am running into here is if the show really is only planning another season, they really need to deal with Winter and the Walkers soon. Like now. Need some more major characters gone so Dany can invariably claim the throne and add the support of the South to Jon in the north.