1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game too tough? Just let it play itself!

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Stitches, Jun 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/14/new-super-mario-bros-wii-future-titles-will-play-themselves/

Yes, it's come to this. :pity:

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Eh, sounds fine to me. Lot's of little kids will enjoy the feature and will allow them to continue playing a game, instead of repeating a part over and over. It's optional too. It's not like anyone is being forced into using the feature.

****, I wish I had this back w/ Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I spent so many hours looking in the water temple for a key I had missed/couldn't find. Huge waste of time on something that insignificant.

CitizenSnips and Vengeful Odin like this.
  3. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    takes the challenge out of beating games from the pathetic levels games are at now to an all time low.

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's what I'm getting at with it. I realize it's an option, but it just takes away any challenge IMO.

5. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I do agree but there have always been Game Genies or game enhancers. I don't see this being any different. Those who cheat their way through a game are only robbing themselves of the satisfaction of beating the game straight up.

There's nothing like watching the credits roll after hours of tossing controllers in frustration. If you don't get frustrated then it's not challenging enough IMO. You should be watching a movie if you are playing to just follow the story or whatever makes ya cheat. But......to each his own.

6. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I love our society. Our love for dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator has now extended to video games. What, its too much work to actually beat a game? Sitting in the comfort of your own home? In a comfy chair eating a cookie with a cold glass of milk? That's too hard?

Dont worry little Johny, you can just let the computer play itself and then go brag about how you beat the game.

The *****fication of our kids continue.

#1 fan likes this.
  7. dolphan117

Nov 24, 2007
    I mean I can understand the idea behind it but how low have we fallen when our kids cant even be expected to beat a Mario game on their own? A freaking Mario game?

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beduEFYqVHQ"]YouTube - Super Mario World (Kaizo Edition) Intro + 1-1[/ame]

MonstBlitz, TiP54 and dolphan117 like this.
  9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Honestly, this isn't that bad of an idea. I would have beaten Ocarina of Time at least 5 times now if it weren't for that Water Temple. If i could just skip that temple, id go play that game again right now.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I dont think it matters.

I would never use it, but lets say I did. If I beat the game, I'd play it again but this time I'd try to beat parts I couldn't before. It's mostly for kids, so it doesnt bother me.

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
  12. dolphan117

Nov 24, 2007
    TiP54 likes this.
  13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Its actually not as hard as it looks.

If you knew the specifics of what you're supposed to do....like how high to jump at what spot, its as easy as a normal level. It just takes a few times playing through it.

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Isn't that the point of Nintendo's new feature though? Let the game take over, complete the level, and then the player has the choice of going back and doing it again with knowledge of how. Or simply move on. I doubt most wii owners could do that level.

I think it's a smart feature and Nintendo will be cashing in on "ANYONE can play."

15. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Gone are the days when you had that challenge of beating NES Contra WITHOUT the extra lives code.

16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No more:

[​IMG]

17. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't care if it's a feature aimed at kids. This is just ridiculous.

This is like when kids are made to play sports without keeping score, or play musical chairs with an equal number of chairs and children. We can't have anybody feel like they lost, can we? That might hurt their self-esteem. Jesus Christ...

If you can't beat a game and want to give up, you shouldn't be playing games in the first place.

dolphan117 likes this.
  18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The sports thing I have heard of and it is quite ridiculous.

I've never heard of the musical chairs thing before, but if you play it that way, what the hell is the point? :lol:

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The anger here is silly.

Whether you full on cheat, don't cheat, whatever, a person buys the game and should be allowed to play it however they want. If you don't cheat, great, don't use the function. Letting people choose they're own unique experience is what games are all about. Its just so ridiculous to get aggravated over this.

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not aggravated. I'm more disappointed that they even feel compelled to add this feature.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why though? How could it possibly affect you if you don't use it?

22. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    agreed. It's obvious they're looking for a new way to bring in gamers. Forza is doing it with rewind, last I checked Prince of Persia had a rewind also and didn't catch that much flack IIRC. No reason to get bent out of shape about it.
    I actually think if this catches on they will be able to make games harder again since the casual gamer will be able to skate through the tougher areas and the hardcore gamer will be able to grind it out. a win win for the game developers.

Fin D likes this.
  23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The same way sports for kids today with no scores doesn't affect me. It merely disappoints me that as a society we have to be so safe for people to not be able to lose that it can take the joy out of winning for some people (by that I mean someone doesn't learn how gratifying a feeling it can be to overcome something on their own).

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Should games never have had cheat codes either? I don't use them until I've already beaten a game normal, but they exist and people use them the first time. That makes the game easier doesn't it?

A kid isnt going to say they beat the game if they used this feature, and so I dont see why it matters. You dont get any sort of prize for beating a game all on your own, I dont see why people care so much. It's not a status thing to say I beat Super Mario Bros.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Our society is plenty competitive. Maybe even too competitive at times.

I don't think it is such a bad thing to have games were winning or losing isn't important, but just to have fun. I've yet to see, any situation where kids are in a situation devoid of competition.

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There are plenty of games where you don't "win" unless/until you beat it. And even games where you are indeed losing, you can still have fun. There is nothing that says winning = fun, while losing =/= fun. I've won plenty of games that I didn't find fun, and vice versa.

27. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I disagree. The next step is finding an easier way to get through chores, and homework...........and on and on.

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I dont see how that relates at all.

I'd never cheat through a game but I'd sure as hell throw all my junk in the closet instead of cleaning. I'd never clean but I always did my homework. I always did my homework but I never finished every chore.

They arent related at all, in any way. Besides there is no play through for those things, if your parents make you do them, you do them.

TiP54 likes this.
  29. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    those were already invented. How many kids have to go to the library to do research anymore....none. How many kids have to do long division and calculations by hand...none. The internet, computers, and calculators have taken the tediousness out of a lot of work already. Why not take the tediousness out of games too. Get stuck... skip it and continue having fun. Play how you want, you paid for it.

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    OT: How often do you play Carcassone? My fiance and I love that game.

31. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Depends on how you are raised as a child. Look at all the kids today that are raised by a gaming console, tv, and junk food. Hell, if they don't learn how to handle adversity in some form, they are screwed.

32. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    me and my wife used to play it quite a bit. Now just whenever someone wants to play it. I have the Kings and Barons and both Rivers expansions. It is a great game. Hit me up if you are ever playing and see me on :up:

33. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I am just stating my opinion on the device. I am not making a stance that the product shouldn't be made or used. :up:

You are absolutely right that you have the right to use it since you paid for it.

34. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I also don't understand the outrage. It's just modernizing cheating. Now kids who blow at video games don't have to buy strategy guides or have their laptop with walkthroughs open while they play. I swear I've never done that...:shifty:

35. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Now we have kids too lazy to drag out the laptop or open a book. :pointlol:

36. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    my issue with it is how easily accessible it is. having the option there will make it so that kids will do what? 1, maybe 2 attempts at a tough spot, then quit and let the computer do it. Thus giving them a "try it once and if it's too hard skip it" as opposed to the "Try it and ****ing figure it out" style we all grew up on... or in the NES days "Do it a million times till you perfect it".

I dunno, to me it kinda speaks volumes for this generation and just how lazy they really are. We're already spending all day on the couch playing games... Now we're gonna make that easier too?

dolphan117 and DaFish like this.
  37. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    That's the way I see it.

38. dolphan117

Nov 24, 2007
    Exactly.

39. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    A video game is meant for one thing, and one thing only-enjoyment. If this lets some people enjoy it more, then there is no reason whatsoever to whine about this. FFS guys get a grip. This isnt the end of the world.

Ultra likes this.
  40. Skull Destroyer

Skull Destroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Orlando
    [​IMG]