1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Two: Impressions From Section 456

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Alex44, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Before I start off let me just say a few things unrelated to the game. First off thank you so much to this website, I wouldn't have been able to attend this game without this great site. Also thank you no-one else for entering that contest, thumbs up. Second off wow food is expensive. A hot dog, two large drinks, a cheeseburger and fries for $26? Woah, that's crazy. Third and last we need to get a few more "songs" played throughout the game. The whole thing just kind of lost its passion by the 30th time the same song came on.

Annnyway.

My first few quick impressions before I write a bit more in depth.

1) Is it too early to say this secondary really missed Smith? I know he's a rookie but you could tell something was missing.

2) Are Channing Crowder and Vontae Davis joined by the hip? Every time one made a tackle the others name was in there as well.

3) Why do our WR's have the dropsies all of a sudden this season? There were a few bad ones in there.

4) Williams scares me as a punt returner and not in a good way.

5) Our offensive line was better at the point of attack

6) Our offensive line was still terrible at the second level

7) I have a feeling Chad Henne is sometimes going to make us shake our heads and ask why.

8) Other times he is going to make us thankful we drafted him.

9) Pat White....he did a few things I liked. I'll explain later.

10) Paul Soliai did a nice job at the point of attack stuffing some runs.

11) G. Wilson is getting paid a lot of money to do not a lot. Was very unimpressed with his game.

12) Vontae got beat on some short passes but he was locking guys up down the field.

13) Hartline isn't a kick returner.

14) Pass protection didn't seem bad. I'd like to watch the game on replay to really tell though.

15) Boy am I excited about Wake.
    ????: ThePHINS.com - Miami Dolphins Forums http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?p=806404

16) Bess needs to catch that ball down the field. It was right in his bread basket and he let it get knocked out.

17) Chris Williams....COME ON MAN. The ball hit in straight in his damn facemask.

18) One REALLY bad special teams play almost resulted in a Pathers TD return. Horrible play no-one kept their lanes.

Okay now more in depth:

I don't know Pat White's stat line but he did something that calmed my nerves a bit. When he dropped back he didn't just make one read and run. His head was moving around the field looking for receivers. Trust me when I say he ran a couple times because absolutely no-one was open. The next step for him is to stay calm in the pocket when the pressure isn't intense, he takes off a bit too soon but I like that he IS looking for receivers before he takes off.

The first touchdown to Ronnie Brown was a thing of absolute beauty. Perfect play design allowed Ronnie to be wide open down the sideline. The stadium, my section anyway, starting cheering before the ball was even thrown. What an absolutely amazing viewpoint to watch that play unfold. We all knew he was gone for a TD the second he broke open.
    ????: ThePHINS.com - Miami Dolphins Forums http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?p=806404

I was disappointed with our offensive line at the second level. There were initial holes but after the first three yards they seemed to close up. No-one was really at the second level creating more room on most of our runs.

Lex Hilliard may be a keeper. I'm really impressed with what he brings to the table. I like Cobbs experience and versatility but boy is it going to be hard to watch this kid get away. Someone will snatch him off our practice squad.

Cameron Wake almost got another sack, I though the QB was "in the grasp" from my seat. He was falling backwards and just winged it where he thought someone might have been. On a somewhat related note, our defense needed to finish that sack in the endzone and get a safety. Can't let the QB get away like that.

The secondary flashed good and bad. It's not that anyone really got burned but there were too many guys streaking down the field wide open for my liking. I really like Smith, I wish he played tonight and I could just tell something was "missing" in our secondary. On this same note Vontae Davis coverage down the field was usually very good. He got beat short but I can't remember him getting beat intermediate to deep. He also broke down and made a nice open field tackle on a screen pass early on.

Back on the subject of pressure and defensive play, boy am I excited to see our first team defense this year. I think there are going to be games where we simply shut teams down. The way they have played these first two games reminds me of the great defenses lead by ZT and JT. All we need is solid corner play.

Still on the defense, too many cutback lanes open on runs. We need to keep containment on the backside or else we will get beat for a few long TD by the more elusive backs in the league. The special teams needs to make better open field tackles as well.

I don't think Ginn had a catch but he did get open and run a few nice routes. Pennington was flushed away from him a few times so we couldnt capitolize on those plays however. No worries about Teddy he did a nice job. Also was that pass to Wilford catchable? They didnt show it on replay but in game it looked like he messed up.

Henne has an absolute gun but I was just uncomfortable with him for the most part. He doesn't seem to have much awareness in the pocket, or feel pressure extremely well. I need to see the game on NFL Network replay to confirm this but that was my in game feeling.

That first muffed punt by Carolina was recovered by us absolutely no doubt. We got ripped. The same played who fell on it was the one with it at the bottom of the pile. I dont see how or why they kept possession.

Lastly I have a theory as to why we used the wildcat. Because we play Carolina in the regular season. If you notice we only ran plays we used last season. As if to bait them a bit, get them used to seeing one hand so it's a surprise when we flash another in our regular season game.

All I know was that it was great being at the game. And great to see us get a victory. Go Phins!

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks Alex... I share many the same views as you do. On that missed catch by Wilford who was WIDE open again (same play as last week I believe where he scored the TD), I just think it was a little overthrown by Henne... although if Wilford had a second gear, like any of our receivers who don't sub as a tight end, he would have caught it. EW's days are numbered... and I believe Chris Williams was released at halftime and was selling peanuts in the stands in the second half.

Also, if Bess isn't starting at WR, I reckon he'll be returning punts this season... kickoffs? We'll probably have an open audition this week and see what happens vs the Bucs. I'd like to see Lex Hilliard back there to give it a shot.

gafinfan likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm sure I saw a couple things wrong. I mean they only show each replay once at the stadium and a few not at all. But those were my initial thoughts as everything occured.

I didnt see CW selling peanuts but I DID see a guy that looked exactly like Tupac. More celebrity involvement? :lol:

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hey I was at the game as well, Tommy Lee, Cheech, Chong and the Black Eyed Peas are all Fins fans, who knew?

The officiating was awful, absolutely awful, the bull**** PI, the reversed penalty, the reversed sack, the ******ed fumble call.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

It bothered me that they showed all of the Black Eyed Peas except Will I Am who is the only semi-cool one. Cheech and Chong was really funny. Tommy Lee was kind of WTF. Pretty interesting overall :lol:

Yeah all of those plays were terrible calls. It was tough to watch. Thankfully Carolina muffed/fumbled a few too though to make up for the bad calls.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I got that stupid song stuck in my head now.

Oh and Ronnie Brown needs to be signed ASAP.

7. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Sec 432 here
    WooHoo

Me and Cynthia had a great time.
    Our section started the REF YOU SUCK chant after that horse **** call.
    As usuall, im not analyst, especially when Im there, was enjoying the game with My Lady Friend. One guy I will mention is Vonate. Deion Sanders could a thing or two about tackling from 'tae. That man lays the wood.
    When im at the game, i try to look at things that they dont show on TV, sideline. JT JP and Channing were cracking up the entire game, chatting within themselves. Jake and JT talked alot pregame and during. Saw JT jumping in the OL huddle on the sideline and chatting it up, showing hand motion/hand placement. I think... Vontae is super animated. He can not sit still. Druing those TV time outs he was bpuncing around non stop)))

cnc66 and Alex44 like this.
  8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good point on Henne. My biggest concern coming out college was his pocket presence. He's a bit better at feeling pressure in the NFL than he was in college but its still a concern. The guy has no fear and simply assumes his line will block for him. At some point they have to get him to swivel his head a bit or be aware of whats going on around him

Alex44 and gafinfan like this.
  9. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    On the one hand, that's a good thing. On the other, you do want that sixth sense.

10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Thank you for your perspective of the game,Alex.
    It's always nice to hear what the fan's say from their view......

11. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    and then there was Katy Perry, which explains all the high school kids out there.

Alex44 likes this.
  13. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    uuhhh....I would much rather see Fergie

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    She kinda looks manly to me.

15. azfinfanmang