1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming delays - the new normal?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its mostly a rhetorical question at this point, but do you guys think that from now on, almost all games will get delayed? I read this article this morning about a number of upcoming games that have been, including No Man's Sky, which was originally supposed to be released today.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/5-big-video-games-that-have-been-delayed.html/?a=viewall

Also mentioned are Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Horizon Zero Dawn, which along with No Man's Sky are three of the next four games I'm waiting on. The fourth, FFXV takes gaming delays and turns it into an art. Looking back over the last few years at other titles I've played (or wanted to), Uncharted: A Thief's End, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and the Ratchet & Clank reboot were all delayed for one reason or another.

Of course, no one wants a bad game to get released, and if a game needs to be delayed in order to fix whats broken or clean something up, then I'm fine with it. But it seems like this has gone from something that unfortunately happens some of the time, to something that we should all pretty much just expect now.

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Its better than releasing an unfinished game with a series of patches over the course of months to get the game into a polished state.

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I think in this day and age where games receive ridiculous (and sometimes unwarranted) hype amongst announcement, devs and publishers are pressured into giving release dates to appease the masses. I have no evidence of this since I don't work in the industry, but it's just a guess.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Yeah I'm never really upset if a game gets delayed. If it happens multiple times (like recently with Mighty No. 9) then it's probably a cause for concern. But each situation is different, too.

5. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Yes, it will become the norm unfortunately. Game development has become so much more complex over the years. There are so many moving parts and pieces and development teams are becoming huge too. It's inevitable that issues will arise. In No Man's Sky case though, they had a legal issue with their trademark that they had to clear up before they could release it. That was a big factor in the delay.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A better question: "marketing bull**** - the new normal?" To which I would respond, marketing bull**** has always been the norm.

Remember that big publishers make announcements to please shareholders, not gamers, and their behavior will make more sense to you, including the delays. This is why preorders are so important to them; preorders allow them to actualize future revenue, which makes shareholders happy.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I didn't know that until a few days ago. Talk about absurd, trying to trademark a common, three letter word.

8. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    This generation of consoles has started very slowly for me. I had a PS4 at launch, but the games I want to play have been slow to come out. I do expect that the second half of this generation will be filled with one game after another that I want to play, as these delayed games finally get released. The delay for No Man's Sky was hard because I think it will be the kind of game you can play and play (and of course no one will ever "complete" it) and would keep me busy easily through the end of the year. That said, I'll take the delay versus a game that is broken at launch and must be patched over several months to get to a working state.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    While that is probably true, I just don't really think about the world in those terms, I guess. The stock market and all of the things associated with it make life so much harder for those of us who don't actively participate in it. Most of it goes over my head. Its unfortunate that seemingly almost nothing in life isn't affected by all of that anymore.