1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming suggestions

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by azfinfanmang, Mar 16, 2013.

1. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    So, I am looking for something new.

I am old school. I like RPG but don't like playing online. Computer games only.

My favorite forever is AOE. I still play it over and over. It is actually a little big buggy on Windows 7, but I have learned a few tricks to keep it going.

Any suggestions from you kids that know more about games than I???

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Age of Empires 2 HD is coming out on Steam on April 19. Go preorder it!

Some games that come to mind that you might be interested in: Fallout New Vegas, Bastion, the Ys series (check Steam; start with Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles), Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series (Steam again), Deadlight (same), and Skyrim all come to mind as appropriately modern yet old school.

And of course, you can always grab an emulator like SNES9x and fire up old SNES games, which was the real golden era of gaming, IMO. Lots of RPGs to delve in to from that era, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Dragon Quest V (though the DS remake is preferable), Star Ocean, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore… I can go all day here.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Damn it. I HATE Steam...absolutely LOATHE them...but I will probalby check it out.

I saw Illusion of Gaia once. I would prefer not as much a fantasy as a real live Society builder. Much like AOE

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Steam is one of the best things to happen to any form of gaming over the last 10 years. Why the hate? What happened?

Then Fallout New Vegas might intrigue you, since the overall goal of the game is to pick the political winners and losers of the game's region.

There's also the new SimCity game that just came out. I mean, that's about as close to society building as it gets in games.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I don't care for Steam cause of the way their GUI tends to be very intrusive. I would prefer to just buy my CD, download game and go. I now have a STEAM pop-up that tries to log me in everytime I reboot. I have tried to un-install, but that messes with my CODEC in other areas...so I am stuck with it.
    Also, I lost my code to a game, and they weren't able to help me re achieve my password. I shouldn't have to have a password for a game I bought fair and square. Now I can't play that game.

I've done SimCity. Also not my cup of tea. I do like the command and conquer genre. I did Empire Total War (That was my interaction with Steam) and it was okay, but not nearly as cool as AOE.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Steam -> Settings -> Interface -> uncheck "Run Steam when my computer starts".

Steam doesn't install codecs. You have another problem entirely going on.

Games don't have passwords. They have CD keys. If you bought a non-Valve game on Steam and lost your CD key, then you have to talk to the publisher of that game, not Valve.

So you want RTS games, not RPG or simulation games. In that case, Age of Empires 2 HD. :lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I appreciate your patients Des. I really do.

Correct, I don't have the CD keys for the game, and Steam wouldn't let me retrieve my password from them. I don't know why, but they wouldn't.

I will checkout the setting you showed me. IF I log into Steam again, my view might change, but I know from several other softwares, I don't like downloading from interwebz.....

I will definately be checking out AOE 2 HD. Do you have any clips or insight? Hopefully it is 64 bit?

I am not the only one wishing for more AOE. There are dozens of threads on several different sites asking for more AOE.... Surprises me to be honest. Not like Microscum to not pander to the masses. It's how they got to be where they are.

Thanks again Des. I honestly do appreciate the insight

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance, but what is RTS?

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Digital download is the future/present. You can download as many times as you want and burn backup discs if you're really paranoid about it. I find it much easier to have a digital library than a shelf stocked full of plastic.

It'll run on everything out there, including 64-bit Windows, yes.

[video=youtube;q_MEFt7KrxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MEFt7KrxQ[/video]

Ensemble Studios was disbanded. Age of Mythology was their last game before PC gaming went into sort of a dark place for a little while. PC gaming is coming back thanks to the current console generation dragging on for almost a decade, so now some of those "retired" genres are coming back.

:up:

Real Time Strategy. That's the genre Age of Empires belongs to, as well as Command & Conquer, StarCraft, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, etc.

azfinfanmang likes this.