1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garrard's Injury Sends Dolphins' Season Up in Flames

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DrAstroZoom, Aug 30, 2012.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    http://www.footballnation.com/content/miami-dolphins-david-garrards-injury-sends-season-up-flames/16448/

Am I overstating? Your comments are welcome.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    yes you are i'm happy that tannehill is starting

Dorfdad, xphinfanx and smahtaz like this.
  3. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Yeah what's the problem?
    This injury opened up the door for a rookie QB with promise to start in Miami.
    I think most wanted that.

4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Sorry bro, but yeah I think you are. Garrard is a good QB but he's nobody's savior, plus for all we know if he was healthy Tannehill still might have won the job.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont think you are. I loved the Tannehill pick and think he will be a great QB but since 1950 only 4 teams starting rookie qb's have won more then 10 games. Whether we would have won more with Garrard is very debatable but the guy does have a 86 career QBR and you know he can work with no talent players. Bess and Hartline would blow away the junk he had in Jacksonville...Ernest Wilford and Mike Sims-Walker was the best they could do #smh :lol:

6. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think Garrard would have started if not for his injury, but he was first on the depth chart for only the first preseason game. Would Tannehill have caught up and been named the starter? Who knows. Moore is a capable starter so if the coaches didn't feel Tannehill was ready, they wouldn't be starting him. Garrard probably wins us another game or two over Tannehill but realistically we probably weren't going anywhere. If the Jets had Garrard starting and our WR corps, we laugh at them even thinking playoffs. Now Ryan gets valuable playing time and I don't think he'll be overwhelmed. We desperately need to get him more talent and he will have trouble adjusting, but I don't think him starting will cause him any damage.

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I think management wanted Garrard to really start the season his injury didn't doom us but it has certainly put Tannehill's development on the fast track. It doesn't help we have a lousy WR core but if Tannehill can succeed with minimal weapons then the future is bright with Tannehill.

8. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    No it didn't.

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Garrard was a stopgap, nothing more

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Jeff Ireland's ongoing brain injury sent the season up in flames.

Vinny Fins likes this.
  11. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I could see where a more experienced QB could be more of a help to some of these young inexperienced receivers. There are a lot of nuances in the passing game that Garrard could communicate better to the young guys, as Tanny is very inexperienced too. From that standpoint Garrard may have worked out better.

12. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    QB is the only position on offense and maybe running back that hasn't looked bad. Tannehill is hitting these bums in the hands with the ball, they just have to hang onto it. I can't believe how many drops we have seen on good passes this preseason. I dont care who is throwing the ball, the guy on the other end still has to catch it.

gunn34 likes this.
  13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    It is too much. The QB position (while not perfect yet) is not the problem here. It's the WRs first, a questionable right side of the Oline second, and a questionable pass rush third. IMO of course.

14. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I think it sent Garrard's career "comeback" permanently up in flames but, its impact, was not so much as even a dent on what this current franchise is all about in 2012.

15. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    There is also a thing called cause and effect. And while the effect may be low expectations for the Dolphins 2012 season, the cause was not Garrad's injury. There are a myriad of other factors which would be ranked higher such as trading BM, cutting CH, trading VD, a defense not living up to expectations etc...

16. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hyperbole, IMO.
    This season was going nowhere with or without Garrard.
    In fact, I think it's a blessing Garrard got hurt. This way we have to start Tannehill now and find out what we have.

17. jahknowstar

jahknowstar GREATNESS

Aug 31, 2012
    Your Nightmares
    Lol, that's the reason why our season is up in flames? Really?

Sad to say but Gerrard's injury was impending and only a matter of time anyways. His health is a time bomb. Not to be thankful for injury or anything, but it would have been a waste of time to go with him as the starting QB from the jump. Tannehill is supposedly the future and this team's present is irrelevant, so we may as well see what he's got and give him a ****load of lessons to learn from at the expense of absolutely nothing since we suck.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I never had much hope for this season, with or without Garrard as the starting QB. I felt the team could possibly win 6-7 games with Garrard. With Tannehill and now seeing how bad the receivers are, I am thinking maybe 4 or 5 wins is the maximum for this team. I think Tannehill will have a tough regular season and it really isn't because he isn't the best QB on the team right now. He is a rookie, and most rookie QB's have a hard time adjusting to the NFL in their first season. Tannehill is also stuck playing with one of the worst two or three offenses in the entire league.

Hopefully Tannehill will gain the experience which will help him in the years ahead. I also hope he isn't seriously injured playing behind the offense line, which I think will turn out to be one of the worst OL's in the entire NFL this season.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I was going to answer....

"In a word....Yes..."

Seriously, Garrard is perhaps one step above MMoore at this point, and that's IF (now a big one) he can stay healthy...maybe as a backup to THill, he'll be able to stay healthy...

20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The season would of been up in flames even had he been healthy and starting. At least now the season will be somewhat interesting getting to watch a rookie QB hopefully shine as opposed to some mediocre has been.

21. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    I wouldn't say it went up in flames, but it most definitely through a wrench into things. Good article!

22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I think you're definitely overstating Gerrards injury implications.

Tennehill looks to be able to sustain a serviceable level of play at the position at this point.
    I don't know how much of a drop off there will be from Gerrard to what Tannehill will produce.
    I expect a little less efficiency and consistency but this position isn't the biggest problem on this team.

Gerrard or not our WR crew is abysmal, Right side of the OL still a glaring weakness, no pass rush and a really suspect secondary are our biggest issues and the ones that will kill us this year not QB.

Not to mention brand new coaches and schemes on both sides of the ball which would have even a talented team playing catch-up for a good portion of the season.

A number of other issues are bigger negative influences to success than Gerrard.

I like the analogies in the article though. Clever angle.