1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay US bishop fights exclusion from meeting

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by DonShula84, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080713/ap_on_re_eu/britain_bishop

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

and it continues!

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How telling, Robinson said he felt "devastated" because he was excluded from the Conference, yet his presence is the proximate cause of a Schism in the Anglican Church?

Me,Me,Me,Me,Me....

4. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Wouldnt you feel a bit devastated as well? Why make him a Bishop in the first place if you're just going to exclude him down the road?

5. Ohiophinphan

The point is, most of the foriegn Anglican Bishops, beyond some in the UK, would NOT have made him a Bishop. Thus they feel justified in excluding him. In their hoime dioceses, even talking to him would get them lynched!

I find their venom sad but I also find Robinson's insistence troubling.

Interestingly, had he left his wife and kids and moved in with another woman he would have been defrocked. But because it was a man, he could become a Bishop!!!!???? Curiouser and curiouser?

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What is more important to Anglican Church, Bishop Robinson's "feelings" or watching the denomination split and basically move out of the UK and into Rwanda?

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In the Episcopal Church (USA or the other one), the only heresy is to accuse someone of heresy..

8. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Excluding him, and homosexuals, could also cause a split. It isnt just one man's feelings we're talking about here.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Indeed, as for Robinson, I find it curious that the first requirement to be a member of the Clergy, even a elevated member, is not wonderfully complete knowledge of the Scriptures, nor to be so Spiritual that one glows in the dark, it is the desire to Serve, it is not possible to say "Me..Me...Me.." while serving something larger then oneself ie the Cause of Christ.

He wishes to serve himself and his own interests before those of his Boikina of the Anglican Church, Robinson prefers to indulge his sexual appetite over the needs of the Anglican Communion.

As for Homosexuals being excluded, I disagree, a church is a place where the spiritual ill go to recover, a homosexual has simply indulged in actions outside of God's Will for Mankind, as all people who seperate themselves from God by their own actions, the difference is, instead of offering council to avoid such behaviour, the Episcopalian Church USA condones and encourages such behaviour.

10. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I dont sense, or see, this "me, me, me" attitude you speak of. I can see him perhaps putting the needs of a constituency of the church higher than it once was, but I'm not sure that's an entirely bad thing.

11. Ohiophinphan

I'm not sure what Padre means but my sense is that Robinson knows his actions will tear apart world Anglicanism. Deep, charitable needs in the third world are no longer taking "tainted" money and it will get worse. People are suffering and dying. Yet, Robinson remains a Bishop and "demands" full recognition from those who will not accept him.

If he is "right" then he is required to push for a reform, but it isn't anything like clear that he is right. Thus his actions are seen as destructive and selfish when the first call of ministry is selflessness.

12. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I dont think all the blame for that can placed on him though. He didnt make himself a Bishop. Once the group not only recognized but gave him this position he has every right to say, "you made me a Bishop, now I just want to be included like anyone else who holds this title." That isnt selfish to me.

As for people suffering not accepting help because of this I say screw them. There are plenty of people who need help, who arent so hate filled that they'd rather die than take money from a homosexual.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I didn't think you would Shoes.