1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GBN mock 1/2/09

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Jan 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    January 2, 2009

1 Detroit *Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

2 St. Louis *Andre Smith OT Alabama

3 Kansas City *Matthew Stafford QB Georgia

4 Seattle *Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech

5 Cleveland *Chris Wells RB Ohio State

6 Cincinnati Michael Oher OT Mississippi

7 Oakland *Vontae Davis CB Illinois

8 Jacksonville *Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

9 Green Bay Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

10 San Francisco Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

26 Miami B.J. Raji DT Boston College

http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

2. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I'll go on another record here (and one that will probably provoke Simon to tell me to go hang myself) but I don't think Raji is a first round guy. All the talent in the world but a no-show once he plays against inferior competition. Huge red flag for me.

alen1 and azfinfanmang like this.
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I wasn't terribly impressed by Raji this year. One guy who did impress me- Matthew Stafford. What an arm, what touch, what a stud pocket passer this guy will be in the pros.

4. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007

I'm with you on Raji. I didn't see enough play to play consistency with him. That said, I turned on the TV this morning before work as I was taping the BC/Clemson game and he makes a hell of a play, blows the run up, turns and tracks the play down from behind.

Chris is the big Raji fan.

5. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I've seen quite a lot of BC games and watching Raji was like a watching a manic-depressive psychosis on a football field. One week, he would completely dominate against a solid opponent while the other week he would take the day off against far inferior competition. In terms of pure talent, the kid's a first round pick in my book. No question. Problem is, he's wildly inconsistent and he's exactly the kind of player who only shows up when there's something on the line for him, like a paycheck. I would never ever draft a DT like him in the first round. This one is boom or bust.

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    We took a boom or bust flyer on Paul Siolia 2 years ago- I would prefer the steady as she goes approach this time around. Take the safer picks and fill the needs, at least early on.

7. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think a 4th round boom or bust type is a lot easier to swallow than in the first though.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Very true, and I still have hope for Soilia. I'm just saying that I'd rather have this team take the solid player and fill a need rather than reach for greatness with a pick that has inherent risk involved- Raji, Michael Johnson types. Johnson's stats are weak, and in the couple of times that I've seen him play he seems to be standing around watching the action a good part of the time- he takes too many plays off for my taste. Too many red flags for those types of players. Sometimes perfection is the enemy of good.

9. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

True. However, as long as Parcells is around, you have to account for his yearly son-in-law-type overachiver pick who usually ends up all bust, no boom :wink2:

10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Would MUCH rather see us take Suh than Raji.

Hell, I would maybe rather pick Terrill Byrd than Raji.

One thing Raji does have going is a HUGE body. Dude would fit the mold of NT that our current regime likes, and he does have a nasty attitude when he decides to show up.

11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I am not a huge Raji fan myself. Would really love to have Terrence Cody from Bama if he is still on the board when we pick (Or even enters the draft).

12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Truth to be told, I'm not a huge fan of drafting DTs (especially NT prospects in the 3-4) in the first round. There's just too darn many having serious issues translating well to the NFL level. Since this FO has found two very good ones in the late rounds (Ratliffe and Ferguson) I would suspect that they don't fix what ain't broken, but you never know. Although I think the Browns and Jets have made a good point about trading for that 'veteran' NT guy. As much as both their seasons were disappointments, Jenkins and Rogers were excellent trades. We'll say which way we'll eventually go but there's certainly other positions that are easier to draft early on than NT.

13. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I think drafting a NT high is about the same as picking a QB high. Really a crap-shoot. Not saying I wouild want to pick Suh with the first round pick, just saying I would probably take him over Raji.

You mentioned the Jenkins and ROgers trades, which were both nice, but forgot to mention the steal that was Jason Ferguson. :knucks:

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Johnson is a prime time bust candidate.

15. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I agree re: Suh. I think with his core strength, at around 304lbs, he's could easily hold up as the nose tackle in our front and he has the speed to shift to end at times as well.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  16. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

As nice as the Ferguson trade worked out for us (and I'm still stunned by how much we were able to get from the Cowboys for a 4th and 6th eventually .... talk about arrogance in the FO over there) but Rogers for a 3rd and overrated Bodden was highway robbery. The guy played an All Pro season in Cleveland. Too bad they don't have a decent pass rusher and way too little talent at DE and ILB.

17. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    One thing to consider in regards to our DT of the future, the FO already surrouded him with a SERIOUS pair of stud Bookends with last years draft. I think that has helped Fergi make it through the season.

A strong kid that could come in and stuff the run and slide the line could really shine.

I had seen Suh play two game prior to yesterday, and read some reports. That kid is really really gonna be a pleasent surprise for somebody. I am still shocked he hasnt been discussed more at this point. I consider him a Poor-mans Glenn Dorsey. Same type of body and same athletisism. :up:

18. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I won't bite, I won't bite, I won't bite ...

padre31 likes this.
  19. huskerfin

huskerfin Season Ticket Holder

Jan 13, 2008
    Word here in Nebraska so far, is that Suh is staying for his Sr. year. Sounds like he will put his name in, so he can be evaluated...wants to know where he needs to improve for next year. From what Ive heard on local tv and radio, his parents are BIG on getting a degree and he wants his degree.
    Things can change now that the season is done, and he has more time to think about it. Hope not though, been a few years since we Nebraska fans have had a DLineman like him, that can take over a game in stretches. Hes been truly fun to watch this year, seems like he gets better and better each game.

azfinfanmang likes this.