1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General NBA Playoffs 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by MikeHoncho, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Glad to see Dirk and Kidd get their rings. Good series.

Its funny because whenever there is a successful team their fans think everyone hates them. Fans just hate other fans successful teams.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Not every team gets to play in the big markets and receive all the luxuries that go along with that... ATEOTD Lebron and his crew tried to steal a championship. They didn't, and DG can laugh all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Congrats also to the Mavs for sweeping the Lakers. It made for the better team to win the championship because the Heat would have probably swept the Lakers too.

As a Heat fan that hates the Lakers, I got to be happy a long time before you did though. Now do you get the last laugh? Not enough to bother Heat fans because your team's been playing golf for a while now.

BTW, when I was a kid, and with no team in Miami, I was a huge Lakers fan but I stick with my town with all teams.

4. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Sounds like a Jets fan talking **** after losing NFC championships... "At least we made the playoffs... Not that it at all sucks our team just crushed our ddreams..."

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There are at least two things wrong with this statement.

finyank13 and Samphin like this.
  6. Ozzy

lol at steal! You mean like when the Lakers stole Shaq from an Orlando team that could not compete with their money. Teamed with one of the best players in the league in Kobe was ok.

And with Boston conspiring to put Garnett, Allen, Pierce and Rondo together?

Yeah the Heat conspired! For three seasons everyone knew who were going to be Free Agents. Riley saved cap space for that time and it's a conspiracy....

7. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    lol... only spotted one. I've been drinking... AFC*

8. Ozzy

Have you been sniffing Kryptonite Clark? You need to read before replying. I clearly said that the better team won and said absolutely nothing about being crushed silly..

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Everyone really does hate Miami, though. People are literally admitting they do.

10. Ozzy

Lmao, I just caught that....

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    nah. i think the country hates "the chosen one". miami just happens to be where he is thereby you get the hate. in 2006 alot of people were rooting for the heat when it was wade's team.

finyank13 and Boik14 like this.
  12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, it's not like message boards and the media made it personal by directly attacking Heat fans or Miami sports fans in general...

13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed but I think Carlisle really took his team to task quite a bit and got them geared up. I thought he outcoached Spo in a few spots where he beat a good defense with better offense.

"The Mavs use pick and roll as their continuity offense and then rely on posting Dirk Nowitzki in the mid-post or foul line area. What they were able to do last night, which they hadn’t in previous games, is get their point guards, particularly Barea, deep into the paint then asked Barea not to take a difficult shot, but to throw the ball back out to the top of the key. Barea and Jason Terry as well, would suck the HEAT defense in before kicking out for wide open shots. Great offense IF the shot goes down, which many did last night."

Dirk only had a crappy shooting night. His defense and rebounding were there. Every star has an off night; hes been enfuego the entire series. How many stars can take 27 shots and handle the ball as much as he did and have only 1 turnover? He had a rough night scoring (5-8 in the 4th Qtr though) but he did all the things he has been criticized for not doing in the past.

Wade has much heart. If he wasnt a Heat, Id buy a jersey. Seeing as how I am a Knick fan, that will never happen. Well played series, glad the Mavs won.

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    To be fair, Lebron brought it to you guys. If he would have come to NY, NY would have been everyones whipping boy as usual.

finyank13 and steveincolorado like this.
  15. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Honest question I have as this was brought up on a Lakers board tonight. If Kobe was on the Heat for the Finals instead of LeBron, does Miami ultimately end up winning? Given that a major sotryline to these finals were LeBron's inability or refusal to score late, and Kobe's propensity to demand and crave the ball in those situations. And with three of these games being decided by a bucket, I think it makes for an interesting discussion.

As for the Heat hate, it will subside now that they lost. It probably won't resemble anything like it did this year because now people have somethign to point to and hang their hats on if LeBron and company start crowing about accomplishments ahead of actually achieving them. Of course, if the Heat end up eventually winning the whole thing someday with this cast, then it will return.

That's how it works for the Lakers. Everyone who isn't a Lakers fans hates them, and mainly because of their continued success and being the crown jewel team in the NBA.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Congrats to the Mavs... they clearly deserved it. Better team, better bench, better coach, much better point guards. Genius move for Dallas was when Carlisle inserted Barea into the starting lineup alongside Kidd. Nowitzki, what can you say. Shooters shoot. 1 for whatever in the first half, they came out in the second to get him going and it worked. Jason Terry is an All Star in my book. 3 point shooting tonight by Dallas was awefully reminiscent for this Laker fan.

Tough luck for the true Heat fans out there. Seemed like Wade ran out of gas tonight, maybe the injury contributed to that. Going to be interesting how they reshuffle things. I think a lot of Lebron's struggles in crucial moments here in the finals are mental. Until he gets that worked out, it's not going to happen for him or any team he is a part of. To borrow a golf analogy, will he be the next Sergio Garcia or Phil Mickelson?

17. Samphin

253827_1750762290275_1275399492_31491403_4650512_n.jpg

Admit it, that is pretty good.

Starry31 likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If Kobe were on the Heat, they'd certainly be looking at a game 7 on Tuesday because one of those close games would have turned their way (probably not tonights game), so it would be all tied up 3 to 3.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Huh? Everyone wanted him to go to NY or CHI, or just stay in CLE.

I also don't get why LeBron coming to Miami means it's OK to declare war on Heat fans. But hey, why expect rationality from this entire situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I doubt it.

21. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and now the worst Heat team of the next 4 years proceeds to GET BETTER.

Not bad for the first year.

22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Surprising I'm not really "down" about losing the Finals as much as I thought I would be. I think that is for one reason. I am very confident the Heat will make the finals again next year... and when I say make I actually mean win. I am excited for the offseason to see how we can get even better.

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    What do you want to see the Heat do this off-season barring a lockout?

24. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    If you're alluding to the notion that Kobe may be more clutch at the end of games, I have some bad news for you.

You can't ask that here. Its been proven that LBJ is more clutch than Kobe even though one has rings, like 5 of them and the other has none. I had something similar on here and it wasn't well received.

25. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    :thumbup:

26. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Haha how wrong is this statement? FYI Shaq CHOSE to go to LA (his childhood favorite team and he had always said that he wanted to play there).

Shaq wasn't wooed by Kobe and the Lakers front office to conspire and take less money to go to LA by the way

27. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Gotta hand it to Sam. The guy is great at getting his "my team is still better than yours" digs in there like no one else!

I think it's a great point about Kobe and the Heat. I also don't believe that team would be hated nearly as much, and that's crazy to me. I'd rather hate a self appointed King over an aging rapist :)

28. Samphin

To a degree the hate would have been somewhat less, but mainly because it would have JUST been LeBron going to either of those three teams. But if all things were equal, and he handled it the same way he did with "The Decision," (I know, I know, blame ESPN), people would have still hated him just as much. The scrutiny would have been WAY greater in New York than it is/was in Miami. But face it, no one likes when the most talented guys all come together in an effort to muscle the league for the next decade...and brag about it before doing so. There was so much pomp and circumstance that most NBA fans were hoping they would fail.

Boik14 likes this.
  29. Samphin

Any dissenting voice from the Heat are great is quickly shouted down here. Kobe has missed a ton of shots late...but at least he takes them, is I guess my point. The odds are that a few of those sink at some point. Whereass LeBron seemed more concerned about not missing, as opposed ot possibly making.

30. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The Knicks and Bulls also tried to get multiple FA's. The jealousy from the average fan would've been the same but the media would've been all over the Big 3 in Ny or Chi.

I've stopped bothering trying to defend Miami fans because people won't listen and don't want to believe anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions. Miami is just inferior to these people and that's that. I could care less. When a classless boob like Mark Cuban feels the need to bash Miami fans after he just won a championship it says more about him than the fans of Miami.

Money can't buy class. Mark Cuban and Dan "I'm a criminal who has destroyed hundreds of thousands of people's lives, but root for me because LBJ left" Gilbert are the prime examples of this. Contrast either clown with Micky Arison and we'll see who wins. Arison doesn't make a show of treating his employees well. He just does it. Mark Cuban loves to tell us how cool he is and how much swag he buys his players.

Whatever.

31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Can't ask about something that isn't true.

32. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Rings speak the truth.

Some have them, some don't.

What's also true: LBJ has averaged just over 18 points per game in his first 10 finals games, whereas some other players, such as Kobe for instance have averaged well over 20. Those players have rings.

Just sayin'.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I saw that stat during the game last night and the more disturbing part about it the FG%. You could live with the PPG drop off better if his efficiency had gone up but its gone way down. His FG% during those games is around 40% from a guy who is normally between 46%-49% in any given season. His Free Throw Attempts fall off as well, an indication he settled for jumpers more then being aggressive like he was in the Chicago and Boston series.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Lebron is the better player at this point so Kobe wouldn't have made the Heat better. The game is about more than scoring. Even in this series, Lebron had the game winner in game 1 and the assist on the game winner in game 3.

35. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Heat did not lose this series because of offense. They lost because their defense collapsed the last 2.5 games.

36. Ozzy

FYI Lebron CHOSE to Miami because he, like Shaq, new he needed help to win a ring.

Shaq was absolutely 100 percent positively wooed to sign with the Lakers!

37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im not sure the Heat would have won with Kobe. Dallas won with an unselfish brand of team ball. Kobe is generally not someone I (and I think many NBA fans) would think of as "unselfish". The Heat needed better interior defense and they needed someone who could guard Dirk.

As for the LAL, not sure they or anyone in recent years has received the level of animosity that Miami received this year. No one wanted to see Kobe win after the hotel rape incident and I am still not a Kobe fan but for some reason, probably because it affected my viewing pleasure more directly "The Decision" seemed to bring out a real dislike for LBJ. I dont know anyone who wanted Miami to win this series thats not a Heat fan. I know people that are not Laker fans that were happy to see Kobe win without Shaq. Maybe its comments like "People will still have their problems tomorrow and I'll still be LeBron James" that inspire such feelings.
    Thats not what I insinuated and if I did, I didnt mean to. Heat fans have had it tougher because of the expectations from both fans and media alike and the way it happened. What I meant though was that most people outside NY tend not to root for NY teams (unless its the Yankees). From experience, most people root against NY teams. So for us, it probably wouldnt have been any different then usual.

38. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think the game came down to the benches. Mavs have a slew of role players where as the heat are still trying to find all their role players and even the roles of their big dogs, as they can be somewhat in consistent.

39. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    yeah its pretty tough when the heat dont really have a point guard and the mavs can throw out 2 of them at once

im not sure what they can do at the 5 to improve. its going to come down to which stiff can play the best. haslem is great to have, but he isnt a 5

unluckyluciano likes this.
  40. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That is not true. Their numbers (LBJ and Kobe) are damn near identical after their first 10 Finals games.

Anonymous likes this.