1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost of Tsushima State of Play (First Look)

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, May 15, 2020.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://n4g.com/news/2345400/ghost-of-tsushima-state-of-play-ps4

https://www.ign.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-gameplay-story-details-revealed

This is an excellent 18 minute video from Sucker Punch (the developer) showing off the game. It looks beautiful, and the combat looks similar, but more evolved, to the early AC games. The graphics and enviornments also remind me of Jedi: Fallen Order, but in Japan. I'm absolutely going to get it now that I've seen what it is. It comes out July 18th, so it'll be out well before the PS5, and I'll likely get it then.

The game includes an open world, a progression system, assassinations, crafting, materials gathering, customization and much more that you would expect in a RPG.

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    This one has been on my list since they showed it at E3 a couple years back. First day buy for me.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Looks fun. I look forward to playing it in a year or two.

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  5. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    So I've been playing this nonstop as someone that is always hungry for ninja and samurai-themed games. It takes a lot from Breath of the Wild, but is a lot deeper combat-wise, and a lot lighter exploration-wise, which is a welcome balance for me having gorged Breath of the Wild this summer.

The art design is top notch- I can't help but think their philosophical approach to color was inspired by Abzu, with really deep blues offset by really vibrant yellows, reds, and oranges. Jin is always off to the side regarding the camera, a photographic principle called the rule of thirds that really makes the game gorgeous as you play. You can see this approach taken most famously in Shadow of the Colossus. Lastly, game devs need to get on board with a dynamic or minimalist HUD. As soon as HZD offered that option I never wanted to go back. You can see it used in Ghost of Tsushima to wonderful effect. Outstanding art direction all-around.

The story is good too. I usually don't give an s about story in action games but this one is at least compelling enough for me to pay attention.

My only complaints with the game, so far, are with the floaty platforming (which sometimes botches the stealth mechanics), no Japanese dub for ambient conversations (I'm playing in Japanese with English subs), and a lack of shortcuts to armor/charm combinations. I'm the type that likes to switch his equipment on the fly for each situation. GoT makes that laborious, so I don't even bother, which is a shame. There are lots of armors in this game with unique strengths and weaknesses that could warrant a deeper dive into experimentation had this option been available. This is also missing in Breath of the Wild and its a really dumb oversight, in my opinion.

I just got to the northernmost, and last, region of the game and will probably be 100%ing by the end of next week. Also they just announced a multi-player mode this fall which I'll be playing with 2 of my friends when it releases. If anyone wants to join me, let me know through PM and we can add each other on PSN.

I think @Unlucky 13 said he gave this a personal 8/10. I'm at a 8.5, and would be willing to raise that to a 9 if they fixed 2/3 of my complaints above. In the end though, I would recommend it to anyone that likes open-world or action games, and I'm the type of dude who usually hates chasing around "?" marks on a big map.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I finished the game a couple of weeks ago. I spent about three weeks of very regular play with it, and it felt moderately substantial. I wish that it had a gameplay counter/timer though, like nearly every other game being made today. The choice to leave it out is really bizarre.

I agree that its an absolutely beautiful game, however it took me until the end of the first act to fiddle with my settings enough to truly be able to see and enjoy it well. I ended up having to turn HDR off on my PS4, and also on both ports on my TV, and then to jack up the brightness setting within the game before I was able to see when I was indoors, even in the middle of the day if it was bright sunshine outside. It was pretty frustrating, and probably the most difficulty I'd ever had getting it right within a game before. But once I did, it was spectacular from that point on.

I honestly never had any issues at all with the stealth mechanics, but I agree that the elements that they borrowed from Uncharted weren't quite as tight as they are in those games. I made it work without a lot of trouble though. The thing that really got me was the extremely demanding timing with combat, especially the duels. I was able to get it right most of the time by the end of the first act, but from that point on, I got worse and worse and by the end of the game, was only getting it right about 20% of the time. I found myself just ambushing the groups of Mongols by then, using an exploding arrow on the two toughest guys, and then throwing knives and a couple of others while I ran to the archers and took them out. But even with my "level" maxed and my equipment as high as it could be, it was still a big challenge. I was still getting killed regularly the whole game due to the tight limit on healing.

I did really enjoy the story, and the voice acting was top notch. Its also really cool that almost all of the main characters look like their voice actors, which isn't something that you see a lot.

invid likes this.
  7. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I have a 55in LG C5 (I think) and it is a dark game during the day. Looks majestic in a dark room though.

I'm about 50/50 with the timing. I struggle with spearmen the most. I think at the latter stages of the game you're supposed to use more of your ghost tools either way because the enemies have a lot of health and dodge more often. That's not a problem except for when there's like 8 of them and your best defense is cutting down their numbers.

Usually I'll duel in the ninja set, smoke bomb, kunai, and go to town.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have almost the exact same tv. Not thrilled with it though. I've had it for about a year after my last one died. That one, a 50" Samsung LED wasn't 4k, but still had a better picture.

9. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    With Gear Loadouts, New Game+, and multi-player coming out on 10/16, I'm going to have to bump my rating up to 9/10.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm gonna wait until we know if there will be story DLC available before I jump in again.

11. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    The coop, so far, is amazing. So addictive.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Not my thing. I'll probably never try it out.

13. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    For those that love the combat system it's a godsend. Story (2 player) are little sessions with specific handicaps and quirks that make you think a little harder, but survival (4 player) is just combat. It's ****ing fantastic and I HATE survival modes in games.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I got progressively worse at the combat the deeper into the game I got. I requires a level of timing pefection that I'm just not capable of. Thank goodness for throwing weapons!

15. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Beat the raid (3 chapters) tonight with 3 buds. Took 10 hours because we didn't use guides.

I don't usually do "raids" in online games. I never even get to that point in MMOs. I think the last one I did was the Syrcus Tower in A Realm Reborn and I kind of quit playing shortly after that.

Hands down one of the most fulfilling accomplishments I've had in gaming in awhile. I guess only 0.3% of the trophy base has beat it yet (it just came out last Friday).

GOTY for me. I've gotten so many hours out of this game.

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm glad you're having fun with it man. I really enjoyed the single player aspect. Terrific graphics. Fingers crossed that they don't spend all their time and energy on multi player stuff, and can put out a few good single player story expansions.

17. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I think they're done with all large content expansions, unfortunately, but I read they're already talking about a sequel. I'm saving the New Game+ for PS5 so I can play at 60 frames on the highest difficulty.

The hard part is going to be abstaining from CP2077 until the next-gen version is released, which I really want to experience on the PS5.

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I'm not going to buy any game on ps4 that's available on ps5. So until I can eventually get my system, probably next year, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing.

19. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    The gift that keeps on giving.

GoT expansion announced today along with a Director's Cut and further PS5 enhancements. Will they pile on the multi-player?

Made my week.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Free title update also, which is nice.

I'm going to need to see how big the expansion is before I drop $20 on it though. If it's like the ones from the Witcher 3, I'm excited. But if it's only a few hours of game play, I might hold off.