1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gil Brandt on Bill Parcell's draft criterion

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Apr 7, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...-for-sergio-kindle-to-the-miami-dolphins.html

Odd, I know Ireland went on and on about prototypes, but did not guess that such specificity was involved in their player selection proccess.

I think Parcell's is dead wrong about such characteristics in a kick returner, if anything the really great returners are smaller, and have thinner legs, ala Devin Hester and Dante Hall.

finyank13 likes this.
  2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If they go the WOLB(Kindle)route, I'd much rather them draft Jerry Hughes.

3. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    If we draft Kindle what are we going to do about the SOLB spot?

4. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    we can pick up one of several later in the draft such as Lane / Lang ... there really are a lot of SOLB types to choose from -- what there isn't much to choose from are WOLBs ... there is only about 4-5 total.

5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Smaller as in shorter maybe, leading to an advantage in quickness- but the point in the article is leg thickness, not height. Hall is about 5-9, Hester about 5-11, and both have legs that are thicker than Ginn's spindly little things. I don't think that Parcells is wrong at all.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    David Meggett comes to mind, he didnt have thin legs....Parcells likes built guys, and for goes speed for this I believe...llok at all the skill players he has had a hands in getting....McConkey, Martin, Glenn.....etc etc.....those guys werent the speed burner thin types like a Hester....

7. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    my only knock on Kindle is his 'quickness' ... as his times in the shuttle and cone drills were not that good; he is 'fast' enough with his 40 time. Hughes was much quicker - albeit, he is shorter. then you have Gibson, Misi and Worilds as additional 'quick' WOLB candidates. Sapp has the same 'measureables' as Kindle ....

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I know, that sort of puts the Tuna behind the times though FY, now a team would be foolish to forego production for some sort of prototype from 20yrs ago.

It is the difference between P Cobbs and Ted Ginn returning kicks, one barely averaged 20 yds per return, the other scored TD on back to back returns.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Old school guys dont change much though, just to play devils advocate Parcells like the stronger guys, plays it safe with giving up yardage, rather than hitting a home run every now and then....and now the question become why??? Simple.....turnovers....Parcells hates turnovers (not like anybody likes them ha!) I think he believes that the speedy thin guys, while more explosive, tend to put it on the floor more often....I can see both ways....Cobbs wasnt a bad KR....

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cobbs wasn't a very good returner fy, he barely averaged more than 20ypa, and would have avg less if not for two fake end arounds to Ted Ginn on two kickoffs against the Bills.

Ginn on the other hand..and he didn't lose a fumble the 11 games he was on returns.

Tuna may be a bit too old school fy, a team needs explosive plays where ever they may be found, to simply ignore that is not wise.

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    devils adovcate again pads, ginn had 2 returns for for TD in one game...I dont deny Ginn is better at KR, and fully do expect them to keep him as the primary KR.....but look at the stats too, and Cobbs had one year, his first where is avg something cray under like 10 yards, on limited attemps, but then has since avgeraged 22.5 yards....Ginn has averaged 23, and thats with the home runs, pretty much take away the TD's, and he is probably avgeraging less than Cobbs....I think Parcells plays it safe thinking that albeit even though Ginn hasnt fumbled much, he (Cobbs) would be less likely too than Ginn.....and it isnt worth it that much...but as we all know, thats Sporanos call...Parcells is dinosaurish in his thinking sometimes...

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Without the fake end arounds Cobbs would be around 20ypa on returns with a long of..40yds..

Sparano refused to put Ginn on returns until Cobbs tore his acl against the Jest on MNF, which does show HC Sparano does place stock in that theory as well.

I speculated up in Club that Tuna's highwater mark was the 1996 super bowl, he had "his team" from Qb to Wr, Holmgren had his team, and the Packers whumped them, partially because of the Pack's excellent offensive skill players and partially because..Desmond Howard the kick returner won an MVP award because he destroyed the TunaPats speical teams unit with big plays.

Parcell's should have looked at that game as very instructive, when Howard was running for a TD and Meggett was plugging along, Parcell's was outgunned and should have shifted philosophy..just a lil' bit...

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    very true....and look at all of the guys running the Dolphins too, they are all in some shape or form clones of the Tuna....nothing about the Dolphins reeks of exciting, big plays, quick strikes, explosivness, nothing.....I do not believe that the offense even with a Dez Bryant, or a Brandon Marshall would be that much more explosive UNTIL Henning goes away IMO...It would be almost a wasted pick or trade, to get one of those guys, with that guy running the offense....

Henning is such a fan of the hit and run...he will throw some BS cutesy play in there, a double end around flea flicker HB option with Jim Kick coming out of retirement to throw it, I hate it!!!....then when it blows up, it almost reaffirms his opinion to 32 HB dive it for the rest of the game....I dont want fluke quick strike, I want as Sporano says the chunk yardage, but on a consistant basis, like NO, NE, Minny....we IMO have the guys to do it sans the WR, but man the OC is holding them back....

padre31 likes this.
  14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Cobbs was a terrible kick returner... TERRIBLE.

He does a lot of great things, but returning kicks sure as hell isn't one of them.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if by "terrible' you mean he was not a threat and headed directly upfield into piles of tacklers then you would be right..:D

DBess was not much better, he was as explosive as a rice crispy in a bowl of milk.

From Irish's presser today:

16. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    2 things. Kindle isn't going to be a Dolphin at 12. Not good enough. Too mechanical. Secondly, did Brandt have anything to say about Jeff Ireland because that's all I care about.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bill and I?

What is Ireland Parcell's mini me?

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Boomer I know you have said in the past brother Ireland is calling the shots on 4/22, however you would agree Parcells lets say has influence, and is in on the draft boards process......but lets say in any round or even in like rd 1 for that matter, there is just no getting around Parcells wants say Thomas, and Jeff wants Dez....and both absolutely dont want the other ones pick....who wins?? ditto on kindle....

19. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    this is exactly why i keep referring to the 'prototype' when we talk OLBs .... unless they are 'wowed' and fall in love with a player -- they just don't stray.

this is what makes choosing an OLB so challenging - as there are only a few that fully meet the prototype ... and nearly all the WOLB prospects fall short and only a few SOLBs measure up ....

same with Thomas at S ... he better be a world beater - or we aren't selecting him

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Jeff wins mate.

finyank13 likes this.
  21. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    They will take Brandon Graham over any of the 'prototypes'. Why? Graham is better and 1 inch of height means nothing.

22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That is my definition. :up:

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Ireland Tuna and Sparano have to come together for the #1 pick, ie Parcell's has to sign off on the guy simply because of the millions of dollars that are involved VP of Operations has a deserved place at that particular table.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Are you saying the #12 will be Brandon Graham?

25. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Boom, agree that Graham is just a football player .... but if we choose an OLB at 12 ... will stick with Morgan (who does meet the prototype) at SOLB. i think at SOLB, we can afford a more 'mechanical' type guy with height, power, and little better quickness than Roth. Roth was not agile at all, but he was very successful in our defense -- of course, not sure how that will work with Nolan.

if we go atypical ... then it would have to go to Hughes as the quick WOLB of the edge, then go with Lane as below.

I'm still all in that we don't pick at 12 ....

Plus, plan B is JT and Anderson at WOLB ... and the wildcard is Wake ... whether he stays the pass rusher or can actually improve to a 3 down player.

No matter, i still really like Lane in rd 3/4 as the 2d SOLB chosen by us ...

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    he kind of is a world beater right now IMO, moving up very fast on peoples boards I almost certainly guantee that.....everything I have read on this cat has been positive, from the combine, the interviews, they said he was the top Longhorn at the Texas pro-day...his stock has risen and continues I believe....2 weeks away boys!!!!

Boom you flying over for the event.....?? Or are you hanging with the English soocer houligans as they prepare for World Cup...??