1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gil Brandt's Top 100

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    FWIW:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140172/article/2013-nfl-draft-luke-joeckel-geno-smith-among-best-prospects

If either Warmack or Woerner happened to be there at 12 - would be hard to pass up (not just based on Brandt's stuff - but just from what i've seen - though I'm not an expert). Better chance for Warmack b/c he's a guard but to have a guy you can plug in (in a spot that is a weakness) for the next 12-14 years. Hard to pass that up (esp. given not as much strength at other positions).

Would love to be able to trade down a few notches, and still get him, but who knows. Drafts are always crazy.

But, as I look at history, it never ceases to amaze me how teams draft for need and certain other high profile positions in round 1. Then, years later and you look at the guys who hung on and turned out to be great and you wish you had drafted a Hutchinson instead of the OT, WR or QB who fizzled out in 4 years.

If Warmack were there, I just can't see passing up on him in spite of needs at OT, WR, TE, DE/OLB and DB. Hopefully we can address a couple of those in free agency and then land a kid like this in round 1 then go for need positions in rounds 2-3-4. With the extra picks in 2 & 3 that gives us some flexibility.

Here's his take on the first 25 of the 100:

2. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I typically dislike his player evaluations, but his mock drafts are always so well connected with other GMs and scouts that he's pretty damn accurate with prospect placement.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's becoming repetitive, but if we address receiver in free agency, there's good value in this draft at that position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, which completely opens up everything for us at 12, without feeling any pressure from a naive fanbase..

For me personally, there are two defensive players Jordan and Richardson that I would take at 12, however if their both not there, then I would look into trade down scenarios..

Then, if we were to sign Mike Wallace, I would attack this draft with a philosophy that I guess not many agree with, and that's power football with an athletic Qb, with two elements needed in playing that game already secured on the team in RT and Wallace, RT's ability to stretch the field horizontally with his legs, and play a little read option, Wallace's ability to take players from crowding the LOS, I would target Two players in this draft to complete that style of offense, and that's Tyler Eifert and Eddie lacy..

Then this season I trot out an offense that looks like this.

Ryan Tannehill
    Mike Wallace
    Tyler Eifert
    Eddie lacy/Lamar Miller combo.
    Brian Hartline
    Davone Bess

With plenty of money and draft picks to spare.

The complimentary skillsets of Wallace..Eifert..and Lacy/miller is absolutely explosive and nasty,and achieves blissful balance.

With the deep and intermediate scaring the sh&$ out of defenses, Lacy/miller will freakin pound you all day.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I agree with that basic philosophy, DJ, and hope we go that route in that if we were ale to address WR in free agency, we would not be forced to go after one as early; but still I'd want one in round 2 or 3. And, that would free us to use our 1st round pick on a DE or OL.

I'd also like to get a DE in free agency (though I think Cinci will franchise Michael Johnson - he'd be quite a player). I'd also like to look at Barwin if he is available. I'd still like a DE / DT in the draft at some point.

If we were able to address DE and WR, or DB and WR, in free agency that would free our hands in the draft in a positive way, imo.

I still would like Warmack. Really like him as a player and a solid pick - even if we might should trade down a bit before selecting him.

5. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Personally, I don't agree with any philosophy that has this coaching staff, one year into their stint, completely changing their philosophy and what they do. Instead of focusing on players that do not fit our philosophy and trying to alter the offense around them, they need to be focusing on players that DO fit the philosophy and continue building up their young quarterback in said philosophy.

As far as the running game goes, Miami should be working more and more towards being a primary inside zone/outside zone scheme. Miami probably ran a little more power stuff last year out of necessity, as Reggie Bush is a below average zone runner. Up front, the linemen need to be able to move and block in space. Because of this, Cooper is a better fit for Miami than Warmack. Cooper has better feet and moves better than Warmack, who is more of a power guard.

Bpk likes this.
  6. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Any draft that ends with us spending more than a 3rd on Eddie Lacy is an automatic failure. We already have one overrated RB who was overdrafted on our team, we don't need two.

I'm a big proponent of waiting to see how Lattimore drops, and gambling on him with a 4th. He's the ultimate boom or bust pick. If he gets up to 100% then holy **** we got a top 15 value from a 4th round pick.