1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ginn Criticized for Evasiveness

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, Oct 9, 2008.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Ginn criticized for evasiveness

Next time, Dolphins wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. said, he won't duck out of bounds.

Not after Sunday.

Twice, Ginn went out of bounds shy of first downs on critical pass plays.

"My teammates got on me after that," Ginn said Wednesday.

2. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Him running out of bounds on that last drive was inexcusable he needed to stay in bounds no matter to keep that clock ticking. It is great to hear that the players got after him for making such a boneheaded play and I'm sure the coaches had something to say as well.

3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    The equipment manager has issued him kerosene dipped socks so the ants don't eat Ginn's candy *** up.

4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    :lol:

Seriously though. It's good to see the teammates light a fire under him. :up:

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

I know that many of us in here voiced this exact thing in the game thread.

We will have to see if it changes anything.

I also think this is the reason he isnt returning punts anymore. He is playing very scared. Not a good thing in the NFL.

Good find Mary :up:

Crappy Tipper and njfinfan like this.
  6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Yea, I hope they all beat him with socks full of potatos all week in the locker room to toughen him up.

baboo72, azfinfanmang and njfinfan like this.
  7. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Good. I'm glad to hear his team mates got on his *** about that. Ginn needs to step it up big time if he expects to be an impact player in this league. Right now he's been looking like a chump. He needs to use his speed and cut back and get those extra yards instead of shying and cowering away from contact.

TheMageGandalf and njfinfan like this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is good news...that his teammates jumped his butt for making a bonehead play...I don't understand when a fan (like most of us here) can pick out when he should and should not take the hit inbounds and he can't ?? He's supposed to be the expert...it's a matter of him not keeping his head in the game...that is certainly an area he needs to improve on to become a legit WR in this league...or player of any position for that matter...

9. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I've been more inclined to cut him slack than everyone else simply because I'm so happy to see him involved, period.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  10. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I thought it was a tougher catch to make IMO he didnt have a choice but I will check it again.

11. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    A collective "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!!!" was screamed at TVs in hundreds of thousands of homes and bars around the world on that one.

12. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Sign of a solid united team and locker-room when problems are solved from within!!!!!

13. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    You're thinking about his last reception. The two before that he ducked out of bounds. :pity:

The one you were thinking about he actually had no choice, and was a good catch/route in general.

TheAnswer385 and njfinfan like this.
  14. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    o ok... I watched a stream online and it kept cuting out but now im watching a downloaded version of the game and will get to see that. :up:

15. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    If he did not duck out of bounds that game we would have had to more first downs when it was 3rd and long and the game would have ended sooner. But o well as long as he learns from his mistakes I guess he is still a young player

16. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Not only that, but it means that the team wants to win because it knows it can; not because it doesn't want to be winless. Confidence is building in the team and they want everyone to contribute. If Ginn doesn't buck up, he will be ostrecized within the locker room. That's the end of the road.

BigDogsHunt and njfinfan like this.
  17. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    :lol:

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What?

Neither catch would have been a first down had he stayed inbounds, all it would have done was run the clock.

You know, I see so many people complain about Ginn's going out of bounds, but where is the complaining about Fasano's drop or Bess' fumble on the kick return? Those were much more damaging IMO.

19. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I think it's different because Ginn's was a lack of effort. Plus I think Ginn is a popular whipping boy, because his lack of production. But there are just different expectations when you are the 9th pick in a draft vs. undrafted free agent. But Fasano and Bess were trying to make the play. Ginn was just trying to avoid contact.

Regardless, the head coach is asking the FB's, LB's, Safeties, DL to sell their bodies out and then you have Ginn gliding out of bounds instead of trying to get the first.. yea.. they need to get on him.

You can run out of bounds, but not when it's third down and you need another two yards for the first in a game against a quality opponent.

I was actually surprised when Brown ran out of bounds late after running over Cromarty (sp?). I thought he should have stayed in bounds.

20. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He might have on one, and he would have kept the clock running, it was two boneheaded plays. And Sparano called him out on it in his presser.

Ronnie should have done it also, but at least he got the first down to pretty much end the game on the play and also steamrolled someone doing it.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I understand that they were boneheaded, but I am wondering why he is the only one catching flack. (flak?)

22. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Just watched the first one again, if he ducts back towards the field and under he has a first down. He ended up 1 yard short.

Why? Fasano has been playing great, its his first drop. Bess has been a godsend, yes it was a bad play, but he was fighting for yards. They get a pass. Ginn has not really earned a pass yet. The players I guess feel the same way since even Ginn has said they got on him for those two plays.

Kanye West likes this.
  23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I love Fasano and he would get a pass if anyone (since drops will happen), but I don't think Bess has earned a pass at all. What if Ginn wouldn't have went out of bounds, and would have fumbled fighting for yards? Would people not be complainign about the fumble since he was fighting for yards?

unluckyluciano and texasPHINSfan like this.
  24. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Ok That was the first drop by the whole team the whole year so no one is going to complian about that. The Davon Bess fumble you would hear a lot more about that if we would have lost. Bit yes there was two third downs if he would have taken the guy infront of him on he would have got it.

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's assuming a lot. Ginn has not exactly shown the ability to drive through people IMO, and he would have been short on both I thought (though I was wondering why he didn't try just like everyone).

Kanye West likes this.
  26. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i am becoming less and less impressed with Ginn each week.

27. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    I dont know why he just does not try at least try to take them on just dont run out because you have no chance when you do that.

28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree it bothered me too, especially the 2nd time.

cnc66 and Kanye West like this.
  29. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Yea I know. I mean we would not be even having this thread if he would have just tryed to geth the first down.

30. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Its been the same thing on Punt Returns guys. I posted often about it last week. He looks VERY tentative in regards to contact. I dont think he has ever been an extremely Physical player, but IMO he has regressed GREATLY, and I think its all in his head.

I have been petitioning for a trade (Like what I say means jack-squat) but I rescind that. I actually hope he DOES get his head together and becomes a REALLY REALLY nice #2 receiver.

31. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The first one he would have made easy if he cut back and went under, easy, I just watched it a third time.

It comes down to this for me, Bess plays tough, Ginn plays scared.

32. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    In the wrong game with just a few bad breaks those clock stoppages could have came back to haunt them. We've all seen it, a team with a lead has bad clock management and sets the other team up for a last second field goal or TD to win the game. The first downs aren't relevant to me in comparison with the clock stoppage.

33. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    C'mon guys. It's his second year. Vincent Jackson was criticized for not being tough here in San Diego his first few years here, and he's a big dude. Ginn learned his lesson.

Carey, Brown, Roth, Crowder. All busts, remember? Let the kids develop. Ginn's never been the fight for tough yardage WR. He still has to learn.

I know Bess is UDFA,but he has 7 catches 50 yards and no impressive returns so far IMO.

unluckyluciano and Stitches like this.
  34. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Well hopefully he did learn when his teammates got on him.

35. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    you would rather have anybody but Ginn, be honest, you hate the kid and revel in any failure. He doesn't play "scared" when he catches the ball in traffic all stretched out, he just gets game winning first downs. Unsure.. tenative.. yea, he is.. but scared and cowardlike as you would have us believe.. nope.

36. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He is afraid of contact Marty, I don't hate the kid at all, I just call it like I see it. And I think his team sees it the same way since they got on him after the game. He is very, very tenative which you can't be if you want to be a #1 WR in this league, you are going to get hit.

He said he won't do it again, I'm willing to see if he lives up to it. But he has been at the best, an average to below average WR for us. If he was not a # 1 pick (Which is not his fault) with all the hype, I guess I would not be so hard on him, but it is what it is.

I hope at the end of the season I can say, hey you know what. I was wrong, this kid has it.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  37. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

me too Greg, me too.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  38. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I agree with this. A second year player, with the game on the line, not chocking and doing his job? He didn't finish right yes, but taking hits can be fixed easy IMO. Being there when you really need a guy is much harder to teach. All the trade talk is way overstated IMO. He did his job, just not completely right........... :hi5:

cnc66 likes this.
  39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that his team mates getting on him is good news. He'll learn from it. I think there's a misconception that everybody in the NFL knows more about football than every fan. Many fans have played, coached or simply watched a ton of football and learned a great deal. Just b/c somebody has done something for a long time doesn't mean they've learned as much. I've seen people pick up understanding from one experience that others with a life time in the field never pick up. So I'm not one to put much credence in the argument that somebody must know more b/c they are in the NFL.

40. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Well, I don't assume fumble is the result of fighting for extra yards and staying in bounds. I expect him to do his job holding onto the ball as an extremely basic skill, even moreso than staying in bounds to keep the clock moving. I don't think its too much to ask that he do both.