1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl's letter to Santa leads to South Texas man's arrest in sexual abuse case

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by unluckyluciano, Dec 17, 2008.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    link

:pity:

2. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I hope this man rots in hell.

3. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    These sickos need to be hung in the middle of town and be castrated. I cannot stand to hear of a child being abused in any way, but this is the absolute worst.

Mindwarp, calphin and SICK like this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So I guess he is guilty unless proven innocent?

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yeah....most 9 year olds ask santa claus to have their relative stop abusing them....completley normal, just a phase....its more than likely false :pity:

Mindwarp, 54Fins, GoPhins! and 2 others like this.
  6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Never said the girl was lying, but I think wanting the guy hung in the middle of town and castrated is a bit over the top for someone who has yet to be tried.

PS: Technically it is a phase, since Santa is fictional and you wouldn't see a 15 year old alleged-victim of abuse writing a letter to him.

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im guessing shes assuming that this is no lie, because 99% of 9 year olds dont ask santa for something of that nature, so shes skipping (hypothetically) the trial and getting right to it.....why do we need to split hairs? i think you and everyone knew what she meant....

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I just think it is funny since we have a legal system in place for a reason.

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Really? This is your reply to the thread?

I missed the part where she addressed this case specifically. Her anger is aimed at child molesters. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

You want to defend the guy, go be his attorney.

Mindwarp, NaboCane, Boik14 and 11 others like this.
  10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    because thephins.com is all paralegals, and we should discuss this matter as if its on trial.........wow......

11. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Good job by the teacher, and yeah Stitch, he does deserve a trial..... And after he is convicted as he almost certainly will be, then he deserves to be hung in the town square.

Mindwarp, calphin, Idahophin and 2 others like this.
  12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yeah it would've sounded odd if she had said....

"he should be tried fairly, with a jury.....and found guilty of the crimes hes accused of....AND THEN HUNG IN THE COURTYARD AND CASTRATED!!!!":lol:

i mean we are really splitting hairs here on a message board imho

dolphindebby likes this.
  13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wish I could to be honest, but I would have an ulterior motive if I did.

$

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just so we are clear, we are all pro-death penalty then?

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I certainly am....if the punishment fits the crime....

Mindwarp, GoPhins!, calphin and 3 others like this.
  16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    no offense bro, but what she said doesn't exactly undermine the system. People have a right to be upset about this. Its pretty sad and disturbing.

Mindwarp, GoPhins!, calphin and 3 others like this.
  17. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I am also. As for this case, I can't comprehend how someone gets something like this in their head, much less acts on it!!

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I am pro Death penalty if they are 100% certain without a doubt.

dolphindebby likes this.
  19. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Never said he shouldn't have a fair trial.
    I have a 9 yr. old grandaughter and if she came up with something like this, we would know she couldn't or wouldn't make it up.
    It's a shame that we have to teach our kids and grandkids that they have to be so leery of people.
    We had a pedophile in our church. No one thought he could ever do wrong, but he molested his own children and many others. He finally admitted guilt when other kids talked. Do I think he should be castrated? You bet I do. But, no, he'll be out soon. His wife moved to another state to protect her kids. I think the justice system stinks if it lets these jerks out with a slap on the wrist. IMO, all child molesters are monsters and should be dealt with harshly.

Don't know this child's parents or circumstances, so I can't speculate on what they should/would do.
    If it were either of my grandgirls, I would probably act first and pray later.

20. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You know Pete, sometimes your potshot comments are just not funny, and are in bad taste. I understand what you are saying, I just think the timing really sucked. I know this won't make a bit a difference to you, but my respect for you is diminishing quickly.

Mindwarp, GoPhins!, calphin and 2 others like this.
  21. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    while i'm sure stiches could have phrased it better, i do see what he's saying. while in this case there's a good chance the man is guilty, he does indeed deserve a trial. i remember that case in the pofo around election time with the girl who carved the b in her face and all, and it all turned out to be a lie. now, that girl was in college and these are 10 year olds, so that's a huge difference.

but i wouldn't put it past a 10 year old these days to do something horrible like write something like that about a relative who they were mad at, especially if they watch all these shows like SVU and know what a simple letter like that can do.

that said, the way the article was written, it seems like the police already have a bit more proof than just the letter, so the man is probably guilty, and if he is, should be punished (the death penalty thing is a different story here.. i won't go there now).

i'm just saying, i know when i was 10 I did some stupid stuff because I didn't know what bad effects it might cause. not that i ever wrote a letter to santa claiming false abuse or anything, but i do see how it could be done

22. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    What debby said in no way undermines the system. People have a right to get upset, and as long as it doesn't leak into the justice system, there really is no need to go around correcting people and their emotional reactions. If she or someone else somehow wanted to circumvent the justice system then yes the argument would have merit. Otherwise it does not.

SICK and dolphindebby like this.
  23. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i didn't say debby shouldn't be allowed to voice her opinion. i was just trying to defend stitches who (unfortunately for him did it in a bad way) tried to make a statement defending the man who he believed people would jump all over. (and no, because i was defending stiches doesn't mean i was attacking debby, because i don't believe he was directly attacking debby either). i just felt stitches didn't deserve to be attacked for taking the oppposite side of the general opinion in the thread.

edit: http://articles.latimes.com/2004/feb/23/local/me-girls23 and example of what i was talking about before. sadly, it does happen, and i believe that 99.9% of the time these girls are/would be telling the truth. it just stinks that we do have to be skeptical about everything to a point these days.

Stitches likes this.
  24. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    He's not being attacked just for playing devils advocate really, he is being attacked for taking a statement and trying to make an argument out of it of which had nothing to do with that argument IMO.And do people lie in these cases, yes, but does what debby said have any bearing on this dudes life or otherwise no. So there really is no need/point to trying to correct her.

SICK and dolphindebby like this.
  25. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks guys, you're sweet for taking up for me.
    I just stated my opinion.
    I didn't want an argument or any cuts to anyone.
    I have always felt this way and I'm sure I always will.

There was a man in Ohio when I was in high school who took a little 5 year old girl and did some truly horrible things to that child. Well, he was in jail for awhile, then let go. A girl had the audacity to want to bring him to our prom. We went to our principal and told him we'd rather cancel our prom than to have him there. He was told not to come, the prom went on, but the bleeding heart girl felt we were all horrible in not giving him a second chance. Did he go out and do it again? Yes!! He didn't spend much time in jail that time either.
    Do I believe in second chances? Depends on the crime.
    I do not believe these two little girls sat and planned to get this man in trouble. It's been on tv all day and they have him shackled etc., so there must be some merit to what the girls said.

54Fins, Phinperor and SICK like this.
  26. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    If not death, they should at least castrate the scum...JMO

Mindwarp, GoPhins!, calphin and 2 others like this.
  27. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    :angry:

Thanks for the spoiler alert.

:pity:

28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wasn't trying to be funny. Bad taste? Maybe, I thought wishing someone to be castrated and hung was in bad taste too is all, especially when very few facts were actually presented in the article.

SICK likes this.
  29. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    fair enough, my apologies for being harsh.

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No worries, I wouldn't expect any less fervor from you. :up:

31. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    If it were my grand Daugther , they guy might not make it to court....just saying

32. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I've got two young nieces and a young granddaughter and if any of them alleged anything of that nature to me the guy involved would never make it to trial.

33. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    As long as there is hard evidence as opposed to a circumstantial case then yes, absolutely.

Thing about sexual predators is that the reform rate is abismally low. Once someone goes into that they almost never come out. If it gets to the point that they rape a young girl, are over 18, and can be convicted of it on more then just circumstantial evidence I say give them time to make their peace with life and send them on.

Or at the very least give them life. There is just no point in letting them back out where chances are they will become repeat offenders.

34. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I have a bullet they can have..:pity:

heck, I'll even loan em the gun.

35. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I was originally speaking of predators, in general, never mentioned this guy in my original post. I said "these sickos".
    No punishment is in bad taste to me for a person who hurts an innocent child.
    As I said before, if it were my grandgirls, I would act and ask questions later.
    If we don't protect our kids who will?

36. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I agree. Sexual predators have some of the lowest reform rates out there. Very few of them can break out of it and return to normalcy. Because of this, I just dont see how we can keep letting these people out of prison with the regularity they seem to "enjoy." Its disgusting. They are abusing and taking total advantage of people who have very little protection or ability to come out and let someone know whats going on. This kind of crime is about as low on the totem pole as you can get. Sometimes, Im just not sure at all if people should get, or deserve, another chance. Its one thing when you spill your milk as a kid, and mom says its ok heres another cup try and be more careful. Its another when you commit unspeakable acts of depravity on defenseless children in a "demographic" that is repeatedly shown to never really let go of the desire to continue.

37. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I wonder what percentage of them 'reform'. And if that number is so low I wonder if the laws and sentences regarding these issues should be made harsher. I would rather have a small percentage of 'reformed' sexual predators behind bars (or castrated and hung, or whatever) than any percentage of children getting preyed upon by some pervert.

dolphan117, GoPhins! and dolphindebby like this.
  38. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    Well, I'm very sensitive about this subject. My first wife was extremely mentally and sexually abused by a close "family friend". You can try to be flippant about it but until you see the damage that it causes you should just keep you mouth shut. Until you experience having someone that you love wake up screaming in the middle of the night thinking that she is a little girl again and that those things were happening to her. Until you see them freak out at some little sight, or sound, or smell that triggers a memory you shouldn't say anything funny about this subject. And of course most of these type of people either get away with it or get very little punishment for the pain that they cause others.

I was with her for five years until it finally tore us apart. There is nothing too nasty to do to these kind of people. By all means, make sure they are guilty first but then MAKE THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME AND THE DESTROYED LIVES!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

39. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Amen!!

I agree 110%

dolphindebby likes this.
  40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yup. We're not the court of law. We don't have to abide by those rules :wink2:

unluckyluciano likes this.