Give me two nice draft picks, 2 nice free agents, next years sched... Matt Moore and?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

What do you mean by this? One guy was the secondary captian on a SB championship team that moved into coaching at the end of his career and the other is, well, a lifetime coach. I don't see how the could be further apart.

2. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Cant we just freakin clean house and change the way we evaluate players and get some threats on offense and tweek the defense a little and start fresh.

i wished that we could throw this entire drat into two players . One , a big powerful tightend and go hard after Robert Griffen III and cut Columbo and Carey and bring in couple of free agents and then bring in a couple of non drafted olinemen. ok that maybe a lame thing to say but i want to see us make a splash for once in our lives.

3. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Getting Parcells was seen as a splash. How did that work out?

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So? I don't care who Ross hires, someone, somewhere, won't be happy.

5. I'm not happy with your attitude:lol:

Pandarilla likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    and Jimmy Johnson..and Nick Saban..we've had our fair share but for some reason they all fail here.

The guy we aquire should love this team and want to be here, otherwise he's toast, I don't think any of the previous big wigs ever gave a **** about us..maybe thats one of the problems here.

I bet bowles would be proud..at least thats the proper starting point.

smahtaz and padre31 like this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    See!

:lol:

No matter who we hired be it Jeff Fisher, or elevating Bowles, the reaction will be

:omg:

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Disconcerting. 2010 I don't put much stock into as the Cards went with the three headed monster of Derek Anderson, rookie Max Hall and rookie John Skelton.

I was thinking about kicking the tires on Anthony Spencer. He could be a solid addition to the corps. Spencer Dansby Burnett Wake would put us in Steeler territory at LB.

MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  9. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    A bit of smoke and mirrors...I know some fans like to say schedule doesn't matter blah, blah, blah...I am not one of them. The games we played well and won:

Buffalo twice...part of a 7 game losing skid. A team that started 4-1, but finished 6-10.
    KC...part of a 4 game losing skid. A team that lost 6 of last 9 games and finished 7-9. A team that offense was so bad after scoring 3 against Miami they followed that with scoring 10, 3, 9, 10 and 10 the next 5 weeks....42 total points over a 6 week period.
    Washington...part of a 6 game skid. A team that started 3-1, but finished 5-11.
    Oakland...part of a 3 game skid. A team that started 7-4, but finished 8-8. Traveled 3,000 miles to play.
    NYJ...part of a 3 game skid. A team that started 8-5, but finished 8-8. We got to see how dysfunctional this team was at the end of the year with Holmes behavior and backup QB saying he has never been on such a selfish team.

Not a single win against a team that had a winning record when all was said and done. Each win was part of a losing streak for the other team. I know this is the NFL and every win is hard earned, but when evaluating how well a team played imo it is important to understand the context. Miami collapsed against NYG, Dallas and NE in the 4th quarter and was pretty much owned by Philly. Those were the solid teams, well except Dallas, we played to end the year.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I wouldn't have a problem keeping Bowles.
    But I REALLY think we need to go into next season with a starting QB better than Matt Moore.

11. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Steeler territory? Not even close!

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Buffalo who killed the Broncos
    KC who beat the Packers ending their undefeated season
    Washington who beat the Giants

There are no smokes and mirrors.

smahtaz likes this.
  13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We can't cut Colombo and Carey now.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    your right, but they had some serious adversity to deal with..They showed a unity that was pretty cool I think, and I think around the country from what I have been reading about..People, other fans, respect our team for some reason..

15. MrClean

You're wrong on KC and Oakland. We ended a 4 game winning streak by KC, and they'd also won 9 of their last 11 at Arrowhead before we played them. Oakland was on a 3 game winning streak when we played them.

16. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    And the Rams beat the Saints. Does this make the Rams a good team? No...every dog has its day. Truth is Miami didn't have ANY quality wins that when a fan look back and say we really beat one of the better teams in the NFL.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    lol, of course.

18. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Gimme a break...I am NOT wrong at all.

KC's 4 game win streak included a 5 point win at home against Minnesota (3-13), a 4 point win against Indy (2-14), a win against Oakland in Palmer's FIRST game after sitting out all pre season and early part of the season in which Palmer/Boller threw "6" interceptions and a win against SD when they were on a 6 game losing streak.

Do you really see KC as on a roll when looking at the context? After losing to Miami they scored 42 points in their next 5 games.

As for the Raiders their 3 game win streak entailed a win against SD during their 6 game skid, a 6 point win against Minnesota (3-13) and a 5 point win against Chicago who was starting a QB named Hanie (3 TD/9 int) for the first time after Cutler got hurt. And "yes" when a team travels from coast-to-coast it affects their play. Oakland lost 3 of the last 4 games after Miami and their only win was in OT against KC.

Again it is understanding the "CONTEXT" in which the wins occur.

19. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Uh huh...and which win is that a fan can look back and say we beat a really good team?

Buffalo, KC, Washington, Oakland or the dysfunctional Jets?

Buffalo 6-10 outscored by 62 points during the year
    KC 7-9 outscored by 126 points
    Washington 5-11 outscored by 79 points
    Oakland 8-8 outscored by 74 points
    Jets 8-8 outscoring teams by 14 points, but blew up by the Miami game.

So our 6 wins came against teams with a combined record of 40-56, not a single team with a winning record and were outscored by 389 points during the year.

20. MrClean

Doesn't matter. You said we beat KC and Oakland while they were on losing streaks, and that's untrue. No matter who they beat or by how much, KC had won the prior 4 games when we played them, and Oakland had won their prior 3 games.

21. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Yea, you're right...context doesn't matter...:lol:

You might want to re-read my post. I said part of a 4 game losing skid and part of a 3 game skid.

So when KC loses to Miami, Denver, NE and Pitt that is NOT a 4 game losing skid?

And when Oakland loses to Miami, GB and Detroit 3 weeks in a row that is NOT a 3 game skid?

Stop making up stuff I DIDN'T say!

22. MrClean

So, you are referring to us initiating losing streaks for those teams. They'd been playing well prior to playing us. Then after playing Miami, they began a tumble. I'd say that is a positive for Miami.

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Dansby is the most versatile LB in the league right now. Wake was rated as the top OLB by PFF this past year. Burnett came on very strong at the end of the year, and Spencer was rated as the 10th best OLB.

24. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Are you aware of what "context" means?

So you think when a teams wins by less than 7 over teams that finish 3-13 (Minny) and 2-14 (Indy), or beats a team as part of a 6 game losing streak (SD), or beats a team (Chi) that lost their starting QB (Cutler) and puts in a poor backup (Hanie), or beats a team (Oak) that just traded for a QB days before who missed all of pre-season along with the first 6 games of the season (and loses star running back McFadden to injury after only 2 carries) and gets thrust into action being a part of 6 interceptions they is to be considered "playing well?" Okay...whatever.

Obviously just a red herring.

25. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    What makes Dansby more versitile then Lawrence Timmons. And are you kidding me? You think Anthony Spencer and Cam Wake = James Harrison and Lamar Woodley????

Again, not even close.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If you were using it correctly, then yes it does matter.

27. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Dansby...103 tackles...2 sacks...1 interception...1 forced fumble...6 passes defended
    Fletcher..166 tackles...1.5 sacks..2 interception..3 forced fumbles..10 passes defended

and at least 10 more inside lbs that had a better season than Dansby

28. MrClean

Yeah, you ******* smart *** I know what context means. What I see here though is an agenda by you to belittle the Dolphins wins this season by looking for any rationale you can come with for doing so.

29. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You can't judge a player's season purely based on statistics.

30. MrClean

You are correct. Wake graded higher than Harrison, 1st overall @44.2 to 6th overall @23.7
    Spencer graded higher than Woodley, 10th overall @10.1 to 12th overall at 7.2

Inside, Dansby graded higher than Timmons, 12th overall @16.2 to 29th overall @4.3
    Burnett graded higher than Farrior or Foote, 34th overall -1.6 to 39th overall @ -5.2 and 40th overall @ -5.3

CaribPhin likes this.
  31. MrClean

Especially high tackle totals. They are often indicative of a defense that cannot get off the field, and yields a lot of sustained drives.

32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Dansby is great in coverage, at the point of attack, and is a excellent rusher from the inside position. You may WANT to disagree with me, but no LB in the league does more things than Dansby. They may do special things better, but this guy plays every down in any package. Harrison is not great in coverage and not the best run defender. Nor is Wake, but I would say they're about equal. Anthony Spencer isn't sexy, and he doesn't get the sack totals, but he is a good OLB despite what you want to be true. I've seen you do this a lot. Just push your opinions off as Sterling without backing. Just because those guys have rep doesn't mean they're untouchable.

Volume stats bro. Check the snap totals. I have a feeling Fletcher also played significantly more plays. Better seasons for LB's are not just based on numbers. Down the stretch, after our D caught up, not one ILB in the league could say that they were playing discernibly better than Dansby IMO. Were it not for the beginning of the season like the Pats debacle, I have a feeling Dansby would have finished Top 5 or Top 8 instead of Top 12.

As if 12th best ILB is itself a bad thing.

Thank you for this. Dolphin fans seem to be intent on self-flagellation. I am so tired of this woe is me attitude. It's something when you can't accept that you had one of the best LB corps in the league.

I guess it doesn't fit into the sky is falling, kill Ross, kill Ireland, kill Peterson narrative that has permeated this fan base.

I suspect we have quite a bit of masochists as fellow fans. Not that I don't respect their lifestyle :lol:.

Agreed. I also think it says something about the surrounding talent. Fletcher had to pick up the slack for McIntosh who only had 65 tackles. Our line is also better than theirs I think. That takes a lot of the pressure off of Dansby and Burnett.

UCF FINatic and MrClean like this.
  33. MrClean

I agree. For a more accurate measure of tackling efficiency, one would want to figure the ratio of tackles to snaps.