1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Jason Allen article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Sep 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Dolphins cornerback Jason Allen was over it. The only thing that frustrated him more than his past might have been his future, the one that seemed to no longer include an opportunity to make an impact in Miami.

So after last season, Allen did something only a person with serious intentions would do: He put his Aventura condominium on the real-estate market, and he headed to Atlanta to live and train there instead.

``He really didn't think he would be back this year,'' said a person close to Allen, who asked not to be quoted by name. ``He wanted to be somewhere he could get on the field and play.''

But something happened soon after, something that can now be looked at as a potential turning point in his career. Allen, who is slated to start at cornerback for Miami's season-opening game against Buffalo on Sunday, set up one last meeting.

Near the start of the team's offseason program, Allen walked into coach Tony Sparano's office for a blunt, candid discussion about his future.

During the conversation, Allen expressed his discontent about his situation. He wanted a chance to prove his ability. He never had the opportunity to play one position, spending his whole four-year career switching between cornerback and safety.

In their meeting, Sparano told him what he needed to do to become a better player -- and he also told him he would have the chance to start if he was one of the best two cornerbacks on the field.

From that point forward, Allen was sold. He had 100 percent attendance at all workouts this offseason, and he began to focus on developing his technique as a cornerback -- something he had never been able to do.

``I just wanted an opportunity,'' Allen said. ``I asked Coach what I needed to improve on. He told me how he felt, and I told him how I felt. He backed up his word, and I backed up my word.''

When training camp was under way, Allen started to show signs of being a different player. At the same time, Smith wasn't showing the type of progress he had made as a rookie. That's where this situation gets interesting.

Allen has now ascended ahead of Smith. He has the opportunity ahead of him that he has always wanted, ever since he was drafted 16th overall by former coach Nick Saban in 2006. But it's on him to keep that job.

``This is it,'' safety Yeremiah Bell said. ``This is his chance. He has the spotlight, and he needs to take advantage of it.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/10/1818681/allen-gets-his-chance-to-focus.html#ixzz0zGzqcA8T

Trowa, the 23rd, Oghma and 9 others like this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i like it. I've always rooted for JA and im glad to see hes putting it together. Lets see it tomorrow JA!

Tone_E likes this.
  3. Tpaddle

Tpaddle Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Hope he steps up tomorrow, maybe decrease the blow of losing w.allen

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love this, and I love the fact that he went out and earned what he said he was gonna do, I also love the fact that Sparano has his back and gave him the start over a hyped rookie in SS24.

Come on Jason Allen..rootin hard for that dude....

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Great read. Very informative. Why didn't we hear about the condo sale and the last-ditch meeting earlier?

I'm heartened by the change in Allen's approach. Instead of just waiting for an opportunity at either CB or FS, he spoke up and found out what he needed to do to earn that opportunity. If he's actually somewhat able now, then benching Smith for Allen shouldn't be that bad. If.

I'd still prefer Will Allen out there, but if there's a time when we need Jason Allen to live up to his draft status, it's now.

djphinfan and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  6. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I sure hope he's not starting out of pity.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed. im sure they (sparano, nolan etc) stressed over the decision to start Allen over Smith. It could really send Smith in tailspin if he doesnt have the mental toughness to get better. I don't think JA would be getting this opportunity if he didn't earn it, tho. There's no room for pity in this league.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Good read. He's getting his shot and we need him to step up big time. I have to admit over the past few years he's shown steady improvement and hopefully he can keep that going.

9. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    I hope he's not starting out of desperation.

The nightmare scenario here is that Smith has regressed so badly the staff were left with no other option than to play Jason Allen.

For me this will be one of the most interesting things to watch today. I'm rooting for Jason and I hope he plays awesome all season.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think sparano just may of made 2 player better in one move.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

That article kinda pissed me off Deej, why wait until Yr 4 or 5 before taking his craft seriously and putting in the work in the offseason?

JA is JA, decent Cb, will cause TO's will lay a hit and not wrap up, liable to give up a long play, I thought he turned the corner late last season vs the Pats and Steelers.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he'll do just fine @ cb

13. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Where did it say it took him 4-5 years to take anything seriously? He's been put in multiple positions by multiple coaching staffs. He went in and asked what it would take to gain a CB position and asked to be assessed. I read it as a guy who was trying bend to different coaches wants instead of defining him as a player. As for the comments about making 100% workouts & meetings its easy to read that as he wasn't attending before but that's not what it says.

14. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The kid played well today. Didn't give up any big plays, ALMOST had a pick 6, and made a few big tackles. Not that there was much Buffalo offense to speak of. But hope to see him find some consistency in his play.

Puka-head likes this.