1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good point from the Cow

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Very good point from the Cow:

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Colin forgets the Texans went 4-12 with Watson’s gaudy stats. “Great quarterbacks” don’t erase anything.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I usually dont like these opinion shows but Colin was 100% right on this video.

we will continue running on that treadmill, Miami doesnt know any different than to do so for 2.5 decades now. We have tried many coaches and GM’s, two different ownerships.. this is who we are.

JJ_79 likes this.
  4. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    He doesn’t say anything that isn’t already completely obvious. Yes, if you have to have an elite QB, it covers up a lot of issues. The problem is there’s only a handful of them in the league and they don’t come around very often.

So you’ve got Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Allen and maybe Jackson/Herbert. What are the rest of the teams supposed to do? You build a good roster until that QB comes along. That’s my problem with our organization and Grier. On top of missing out on a potentially franchise QB, he’s not building a good roster through the draft.

Let’s just say we all agree Tua is a game manager at best. If you build a good OL and defense, give him a few weapons, we’re a playoff team IF he can stay healthy. This was the same thing with RTH.

That’s where a GM needs to be smart. Know when to move on from your game manager and take some chances on players that have the potential to become franchise QB’s.

JJ_79 and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The problem with his "not the solution" argument is that he's playing both sides. He said Herbert is the solution yet they won 7 games last year. He said Lawrence is the solution and they have one win. He said Mahommes is the solution but they're 3-3, while he alluded that Tannehill is not the solution on a 4-2 team. He's just talking to hear himself talk while ignoring one major thing- Tua has a dozen starts and he wasn't ready to be on the field in the first 8 or 9.

Colin is right that elite QB's cover up a lot of other problems. But his own argument that Watson is the solution is silly since they got slaughtered last year and ended up a bottom-5 team. Tua won more games than Watson in 2020 when he wasn't ready to be on the field yet- we can't say at this point that Tua is not the solution. He's basically a year two rookie on a bad team...it's just not the time to make that judgement.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    ^^^THIS^^^ a thousand times over!!!!!

It seems any time we talk about offense, it ALWAYS seems to evoke to quarterback, quarterback quarterback. That’s ALL that anyone wants to focus on. While having an “elite” quarterback is fantastic, like you point out, there’s only a handful of them and even then, they aren’t invulnerable. Tampa, Kansas City, Seattle, Buffalo, Green Bay all have losses so just because you have that elite quarterback, it doesn’t guarantee victory.

To be victorious consistently, you build a well rounded team. Offensively, it starts with the line. With a powerhouse of an OL, that gives your quarterback time…it opens running lanes for your running back. This is an absolute basic of football. And if by chance that elite quarterback falls into your lap, your offense has now become a dynasty. Need the PERFECT example of this? Dan Marino falls into the Dolphins lap after they had just been to the Super Bowl with David Woodley as quarterback. The Dolphins were a well rounded team with only the quarterback as the missing piece.

Until this most basic of philosophy of team building returns to Miami, expect mediocre to average teams and season for years to come

MikeHoncho, JJ_79 and mlb1399 like this.
  7. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    And this is my issue with Grier. He’s had the reigns for what, 5 years? We still don’t have a good OL and our defense is below average(this year). I know this turns into the chicken vs the egg argument of is it Grier or coaching. I believe it starts with Grier and you give Flores this year and next year to prove it.

8. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I actually think Tua could be better then RT, if he could stay healthy, which is questionable...

9. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    As it pertains to coaching,this co-offensive coordinator scheme does have me scratching my head. This is the only thing that causes me immediate pause for Flores. Flores has indeed demonstrated the ability to get the most out of minimal talent. His first season with a fitted roster is proof of that, going 5-4 after an 0-7 start. Last season with some good players, veterans in key positions we were vying for the playoffs. We were well on our way, but with some of key players gone and Flores left with little options at OC, we’ve regressed. I put that solely on Grier’s shoulders…not to mention that Dr Strangelove we have as an owner in Ross.

You can only do so much with the talent you have and Grier, in my opinion has caused Flores to show up with a knife to a gunfight.

mlb1399 likes this.
  10. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    Completely agree. Flores is a new head coach and certainly is learning and making mistakes. The first two seasons he showed me that he can get his players to play beyond their level for him.

There’s so many rumors about what happened behind the scenes that it’s hard to tell who’s at the bottom of this. Between who wanted Tua and who didn’t, who keeps pushing for Watson, whether Fitz should have played the season out or not, there’s dysfunction. What I do know is Grier has been the GM since 2016 and head of scouting before then. The 2016 draft he hit home runs but he traded Tunsil and at this point, hasn’t turned that into much. Our 2017 draft was a complete bust. Our 2018-2020 drafts didn’t yield as much as it should have with the picks we had(top tier run stuffing DT, a good TE and 2 mid tier LB’s). This years draft looks promising but you can’t have that many misses and expect to be good.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  11. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    This is always the risk any team takes in drafting a highly rated quarterback. If you think about it, why is a team always in such a position to draft such a great quarterback? They absolutely SUCK as a team! They have more holes than a set of fishnet stockings and then wonder why they still suck after drafting said quarterback!

At Alabama, Tagovailoa was fantastic. There was no denying this. Everyone had him high on their potential draft boards, everyone sang his praises, but why was he so good? Well duh…it was Ala-effing-bama! One of the best built all around teams in the nation! So you take him from there and out him on a team with such a terrible offensive line and everyone acts surprised that he’s not “it”?

San Diego has always had a relatively decent offensive line. That’s always been one of their staples so with Herbert landing there, it’s no surprise he’s excelling. Had Tua gone there, we would be cussing the team out for drafting Herbert instead of Tagovailoa.

If this team would focus more on the building of a well rounded team, with a powerful line and a powerhouse of a running back, Tua could be viewed as the great thing since Marino…or at least Tannehill

12. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    All valid points, but he couldn't even stay healthy in Bama, why should that change now? I like him and I'm rooting for him and he's not in a good situation, but I'm not sure his body is made up for the NFL.

mlb1399 likes this.