1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good stuff from Jim Mandich

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Sid had Jim Mandich on a few minutes ago. I didn't catch all of it, but I got a lot of it.

They talked about a lot of things. One thing in particular was coaching. Jim credited the Saints with making really good adjustments at the half. Noted that Gregg Williams began blitzing his corners every time he saw the Wildcat. "Brilliant".

But Dan Henning countered with Ronnie's beautiful pass to Fasano.....which Anthony dropped.

He also talked about Ted Ginn. That Ginn just has not picked up route running. As usual, they saw him rounding off routes rather than making that quick move and getting himself open. Not "presenting himself to the quarterback".

Still on coaching.....Mandich talked about how they got the "dream matchup", repeatedly getting Ginn singled up outside only to have his route running torpedo the play.

On the Pick-6 by Sharper, Henne put that ball right on the money. Mandich mentioned how you learn in midget football that you catch the ball thumbs-out. Ginn's attempt was some sort of "lobster claw".

And similar to what we've talked about here, Jim noted how the Dolphins have gone to 1-WR sets what seems to be more than 50% of the time. "They know what they have".

We can criticize some of the coaching decisions, and I have. But as Mandich noted, the staff had the gameplan overall. They got the matchups they wanted in the second half and the quarterback was doing a good job. Better play from your wide receivers and tight ends should have gotten it done.

There was more, they talked about Fasano and Gibril Wilson. Jim thinks we might see changes at safety.

2. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Good read. It's easy for us to say that we should have done X play more, or should have done Y play. But I have faith that Henning is seeing everything that is going on out there, and making calls that he should. The RB pass to Fasano being one of them.

We just need to fix that Wide Receiver problem, and give Fasano some damn glue for his hands. If he drops another ball, or causes another fumble, I am personally going to go down there and beat some sense into him... and by personally I mean hire a professional bodybuilder, because I doubt I could put a dent in Fasano.

HULKFish, dolfan7171, Jeffrey and 2 others like this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's the one main knock I have with the "Parcells Way", is the stubbornness to think you can win without a big-play WR.

Bpk, dolfan7171, fins4o8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    I listened to the whole interview. I 100% support Jim Mandich. I saw exactly what he saw. Sid is taking the easy route by blaming the coaches and scheme and all that. Scheme didn't lose the game, Ted Ginn lost the game. Fasano didn't help, either.

dolfan7171 and skippysphins like this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Again with this? In the NFL, not a single player loses the game. We scored 34 points against one of the best teams in the NFL. You wanna place blame, fine. But place it on everyone that deserves it, not just one guy.

6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This, a bunch of teams have young promisng WRs, its hard to argue that you can win without one when the opposite tends to be true.

dolfan7171 and jetssuck like this.
  7. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    In the Dolphins booth, you have a former WR in Jimmy Cefalo and two pass-catching TE's in Mandich and Joe Rose. They all played for Shula and a Hall of Fame QB. This is their area of expertise.

Rose and Mark Duper talked a few weeks ago too about routes.

http://www.thephins.com/2009/10/06/daniel-downer-chinks-in-the-bills-game-armor/

I'll be quite surprised if this isn't addressed in the offseason. I believe it will be.

8. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Folks are looking for a face to pin the meltdown on. There is enough blame to go around without doing that.

But yes, Ginn screwed the pooch and its time for him to !@#$ or get off the pot.

Bpk and Themole like this.
  9. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That was my thing too, though I don't pin it all on one guy.

Sid has a valid point that you have the #1 rushing offense in the league and you should stick with it.

But when the other team is sending 10 guys to stop it and they're having success employing that strategy, I think it's wise to adjust. I mean after all, Gregg Williams adjusted. Why shouldn't Henning?

He did. We just didn't execute. Last game that play (Ronnie throwing) backed the Jets off. No reason to think it wouldn't have again.

That said, I don't agree with Henning limiting Henne when we have to throw. 1-WR on 3rd/4th and long? Under center? Play-action? And why not let the kid go an entire ****ing series for once?

I guess it comes down to a decision in that situation. If the Saints are going to blitz, and you have little faith in your WR's, do just super-max protect and send 2 WR's out, or do you spread them out and trust that one of them can get open and the QB to beat the blitz and make a throw?

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Anyone remember that corner route that he ran to open the game, in which he dove to catch the ball but it was a bit out of reach? He rounded that route big time.

Great thread, Muck.

dolfan7171, djphinfan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  11. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I honestly think Wilson is getting beat up because we are all used to beating him up. I was tough on him in the chat room but upon reflection he was actually pretty good. He did all he could against Shockey on that long play, it was not even his coverage. He saved a touchdown on the goalline, giving us a chance to win the game if could have driven down the field. His only bad play of the game was letting Bush get a first down but he more than made up for it by STICKING Mike Bell on the goalline.

I think Fasano is done, finished, kaput. The guy is mentally cooked. Dave Martin would look pretty good right about now. I think our #1 off season priority is a play making tight end. More than receiver, more than MLB, more than safety. Get a fracking tight end who can offer an option in the middle of the field. We NEVER attack the middle of the field because we don't have an option there.

I start Hartline for the balance of the year and see what we have. Hartline, Cammy and Bess in the slot. I spend the rest of the year trying to figure out if we can get something from Ted Ginn. Can we turn him into a specialty player? I don't think he is an everydown player, he's a gadget player. Maybe we can add him to the Wildcat in some way shape or form.

Bpk, Xeticus and gunn34 like this.
  12. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks.

Hearing Mandich talk about it, it was really an indictment of the guy. I mean we've heard about this. But listening to him, it really drove home how a lack of fundamentals at the position (TE and WR) are hurting us. Jim talked about how many plays we left on the field because of bad route running and drops.

I must note that Jim wasn't bashing the team and it goes without saying that he's the ultimate team guy. He refused to throw anybody under the bus and politely ended the call when Sid was pushing his buttons. :lol:

MrClean, Bpk, gafinfan and 5 others like this.
  13. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    If Ginn is running bad routes, I blame the coaching staff. How hard is it to run 10 yards and make a crisp cut???? Show Ginn how to run a proper route or sit him on the bench and put in a guy who can.

Am I over-simplifying this?

gafinfan and jdang307 like this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Agreed on Wilson.

Re: Fasano - In the off-season I read a news report that said Bill Parcells was not sold on Fasano, therefore refused to offer him a contract extension in the off-season. As you know, he's a free agent after this year and Parcells said that he wanted to see more of Fasano and show he's worth the money. Needless to say, it's not looking so pretty.

Blame Dorrell and Ginn himself IMO. You've been taught how to run routes at every level you play at, if you haven't picked it up by now, then you're most likely not working hard enough.

Bpk and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  15. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    They talked about Gibril.

Like a lot of us, he had some deja vu seeing Shockey, Colston, Henderson doing damage.

Jim said that it's getting to the point in the season that "if you can't change the numbers, you change the faces", meaning if you keep giving up big plays down the middle week after week, you change the guys defending the middle.

He didn't flat out say that Culver should be starting or anything. But he admitted that it hasn't worked out with Wilson overall to this point.

MrClean and Paul 13 like this.
  16. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree. I think Gibril Wilson has improved as the season has gone on. I dont know why people are complaining about the Shockey catch. You try to tackle that guy. He did the right thing. he got him to the ground. all around very good game from him. stiull would like to see clemons but more so to see the future than wilson.

fasano and ginn just plain disgusted me. we are stuck with them for the rest of the year but i would make it very clear to them both that either they elevate their games substantially or they will be gone. and as much as we may need a TE and #1 receiver, if we get a chance to pick up a dangerous slot receiver I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm getting tired of Bess as well.

gafinfan and Stitches like this.
  17. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Sid rosenburg is pissing me off I'm listening now

bottom line is we are 2 years removed from being one of if not THE worst team in NFL history...

now? we can play with any team in the NFL...and I didn't see a large gap in talent and haven't seen that in any game this year...

we have the hardest schedule in the NFL...wtf did you guys expect? (addressing all dolphins fans)

realistic expectations...it was a heart breaking loss, but this dolphins team is tough

GreenMonster, mdscpa, firedan and 6 others like this.
  18. westernnyphinfa

westernnyphinfa New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    2 words ... Pat Turner!!!!!!

19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Can I get a +1 on the entire post.

20. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I think he is just terrified of taking a hit. Either way, I think Ginn's days as a Dolphin are numbered.

Bpk likes this.
  21. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    I know its a team game...shared responsibility...but Ginn lost the game, IMO. He makes catches and we win. He really hurt the team. I don't trust him out there.

Xeticus likes this.
  22. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    "Lobster claw". I think that's my new nickname for Teddy.

23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Good Stuff... at this point, I'd like to see Ginn brought in from the bench. Like the Wildcat, something we turn to when we need it. We need Ginn's speed at times to keep the defense honest, he's the only wr we have that can run sub 4.5 (not even close). But I like the idea of having our better route runners attack the defense early, let them make adjustments and then we put Ginn in the game to hurt them deep. Because at this point, that's the only thing he seems to be able to do.

jetssuck and gunn34 like this.
  24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The coaches have to bear some of the blame for not making the adjustments. I was getting pissed when I saw them continuing to take Henne out by trying the WC when NO had snuffed it out.

Funny how no-one is blaming the D who gave up over 40 points. I'm disgusted with Ginn and have supported him in the past, but no more.

How about Crowder. He makes about three plays a game, then has a great seat to watch the game.

So true.

25. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Very tough, and I think we've all forgotten (or at least tried like hell to) our record two years ago, and the fact that last year we had a 'soft' schedule, so to speak. I'm proud of the team, we are playing 60 minutes of football week in and week out, and our blue collar Coach is doing a good job IMO, he's going to go through growing pains just like the players are. We just need to fill a couple of holes before we're the team that everyone fears playing.

26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's why I'm glad Dolphins fans don't run the front office :lol:

27. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ginn gets a pink slip ... Bess did not have a good game, and will watch him closely over the next 4 ... CAM and Hartline are the only keepers right now - today ...

True enough with Fasano ... good on the FO for not making a commitment to him in the offseason ... Haynos might start to see some increased playing time. Not saying he is the answer at all ... but he can catch.

for all the lack of attacking the football by our WRs .... it still comes down to our defense's inability to get off the field. in our wins - it wasn't good play by the defense, it was the offense's ability to keep our defense off the field. many defend them, but our LBs i find are the main culprit ... outside of the 1st half, they can't get consistent pressure - and can't cover a TE

i give our DBs a bit of a pass yesterday ... it was actually one of their better performances this year. i would like to see Clemons on the field though ... in preparation for next year.

28. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I have already pretty much echoed your comments a couple times. I am no fan of Ginn but he certianly did not single handedly lose us this game. Did he help us win? NO, but I really don't expect him to. Ginn is never going to be a super star or for that matter a #1 receiver. I wonder how much of that is Ginn and how much of that is the coaching staff failing to get him up to speed. I mean really, how hard is it to learn how to run routes? How many times do you have to be told to plant and cut vs rounding off your routes? :tantrum:

MrClean and HardKoreXXX like this.
  29. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Haynos is not atletic enough to get the job done as a receiving threat. (IMHO)

30. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008

Its not that simple, though. There's a host of other factors that come into consideration when examining route-running, like the ability to maintain speed into, and out of, cuts.

The biggest thing I see with Ginn is his lack of quickness (did he run a cone drill during the combine? I don't think he did due to his foot injury, but I'd be interested to see those numbers if he in-fact did). Someone mentioned the route (and how it was rounded off) he ran during the first drive of the game where Henne overshot him by the sideline. Is it possible that he's rounding off routes to compensate for his inability to maintain speed and separation into, and out of, his cuts? The guy is fast as hell, but it takes him a second or two to really turn it on, instead of having that short area burst that makes some guys so dangerous in the open field.

I'm not what you would call a big x's and o's guy, but its something I figured I throw against the wall here and see what the real football experts thought.

Bpk, Xeticus and djphinfan like this.
  31. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Ginn isnt to blame for this loss. Blame Sparano, Henning, and Pasquoloni.

Jeffrey likes this.
  32. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's cause the defense did NOT give up over 40 points. They gave up 33 points. There were two pick-6's (with a missed XP). Not very good, but let's be accurate.

Bpk likes this.
  33. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Ginn is a one trick pony as far as a threat in the passing game.......what you saw vs the Jets is all he offers. And even then.......he needs to be basically uncovered with the ball falling gently into his hands, like you were putting a sleeping baby to bed.

As I said before, he's waaaaay too limited to be in there for the amount of snaps he gets.

Hartline, after 6 games is already a more polished receiver....

Good post tho........and yes, Ginn needs to spend the remainder of this year (probably his last as a Fin) as a situational player. He's just not reliable enough and we have better options.

Bpk, FinSane and Jeffrey like this.
  34. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm glad we finally got to see Ginn run some of his routes. I was hesitant to criticize him because we just didn't know what was happening downfield. But now after seeing him clearly rounding off routes I'm comfortable in agreeing with Mandich that Ginn doesn't seem to get the whole route running thing. Or he at least has enough mental lapses to make it look like he doesn't get the whole concept.

Bpk likes this.
  35. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks op. I didn't get to see any of the game.
    But, reading on here has been really depressing.
    I know they blew it in the second half, but at the same time, aren't we the only team that has stopped NO?
    I refuse to give up on these guys. In their interviews and Tony's, they All took blame. I know they have to be nice and stuff during interviews, but I also feel, they wouldn't have to take the blame and put it on themselves.

Some one tell me how JT making 2 sacks on Brees makes him a mediocre player? Hasn't it been hard for any other team to get to him?

I'm getting ready for the jests game now and IMO the guys will really be up for it.

I also believe Tony will get it right. He's a good coach and is man enough to admit his mistakes. And he never disses the players. I think he's going in the right direction and will make us proud. I'm already proud of what we've accomplished since he's been on board.

Love my Dolphins win, lose or draw.:up:

opfinistic likes this.
  36. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Umm, terrified of taking a hit, then he should take a sharper turn instead of rounding it off, as that creates more separation.

Ginn runs bad routes, but he was open many times last night. He just missed the damn catch.

Xeticus, Anonymous and Stitches like this.
  37. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Great thread Muck. I have nothing but respect for former Phins like Mandich, Cefalo, Rose, Duper, et all. So, I fully believe and trust their assessment.

Having said that, I won't pin this loss on Ginn as some want to do. It's a team sport, teams win and lose as a team. Period. End of story. And, I firmly believe there is more than enough blame to go around for yesterday's debacle. And, it starts right at the top with the HC. That TO at the end of the first half was a gift to the Saints. Gave them the chance to fallback and regroup and ultimately go for (and get) the TD. That was a HUGE momentum shift.

Play calling was horrible in the second half. Absolutely horrible. I know the Saints made adjustments at halftime. But, you still have to keep pounding the ball. That's our bread 'n butter. It's who we are. The strategy was the same as with the Colts, was it not? Keep the opposing high octane offense on the sideline while we grind the clock, and their D?

Add dropped passes, poor tackling, and just a real lack of killer attitude (put the other team away), and you get what you have. Another bitter loss that should've been a Dolphins victory had the team played a full 60 minutes.

JMHO...

38. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He deserves majority of the blame. He caused a pick 6. Dropped crucial passes. Bottom line, he has to step it up this year. He has 10 games to do so. If he doesn't, he's gone.

Jeffrey likes this.
  39. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    One of my clients who went to the game said he saw Joey Porter and Ginn at the Hard Rock at 2am Sunday morning. I don't know if they were intoxicated or how late they stayed. But it was 2am when they saw them having drinks.

Speaks to preparation and professionalism IMO. Joey has probably done this his entire career. But he's been a Pro Bowler. Ginn has underachieved.

40. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Were they reviewing film at least? :pity: