1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Take on LeBron's Supposed "Shrinkage"

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Jun 7, 2011.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Not nearly enough is my point. If every game was played like last night, the nba would be much bigger draw. 100s are high but 80s are awful. There's good defense but there's also bad offense.

I didn't see much bad defense last night. I saw great ball movement on both sides
    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You see great ball movements, I see bad rotations :lol:

3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Its easy to rotate when offensive play is more stagnant.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Maybe, but LeBron will need to show up. I dare say even more so than the triple double he got last night; simply because even with that the team lost. I'm not putting it solely on him, but he has been the basis of the conversation for a bit so..........., but he will need to show up for the Heat to have a chance. They certainly can't win it without him.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sorry, had to post this. Thought it was pretty damn funny.

[​IMG]

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    ^cruel... :lol: I do feel bad for all the Heat fans here IF the Mavs win this... especially the true fans that were there prior to this season.

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    From the Twitter of center Damien Woody: "If u ask @KingJames for a dollar , he'll only give u 75 cents , he never gives you the fourth quarter"

Paul 13 and finyank13 like this.
  8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Come on?? whats his beef..? People are lining up to pop shot this kid huh? Totally reminds me of A-Rod....before he won a ring...

adamprez2003 likes this.
  9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good comparison. he does remind me of the basketball version of A-Rod

finyank13 likes this.
  10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i really dont understand the hate on james. he is a damn fine player does more than score to help his team. so what if he isnt the greatest ever? he still hasnt realized his potential imo. i think playing with his back to the basket is the missing ingredient to his game.

i dont like the heat one bit, but i have no problem with lebron.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I can't believe Damien Woody of all people said that.

12. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    If you want to compare LeBron James to a great, it would be Julius Erving aka "Dr. J."

Both wants to amaze you with and make highlight plays and great in the open court. But both aren't closers or "killers" and would rather pass the ball in crunch time.

PhiNomina likes this.
  13. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    A jet player runs his mouth and you don't believe it?!?!?

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    http://www.slate.com/id/2296634

Nice article.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think you're using the term "non-sequitor" correctly. That a team is better and then wins is a "sequitor". The part about you equating a non-necessary additional factor is the "non-sequitor". To me, "clutch" or "non-clutch" refers to the concept that some players play differently in big moments. However, that concept is based on anecdotal evidence. Whenever it has been studied empirically, the results have been that professional athletes tend to perform very similarly to their career averages whether the moments are big or not. In other words, the concept of "clutch" is a myth at least when it comes to professional athletes.

And I particularly have a problem with the idea of tying rings or any team accomplishments to individuals. I've been hearing the anti-Marino arguments too long to give them any credence. Marino didn't win b/c he didn't have the better teams, not b/c he wasn't a great QB or b/c he wasn't clutch.

16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I think not all professional athletes experience the biggest moments possible because only some of them get to the championship game (or series) in their career. Obviously, that is the highest measure of whether a player is clutch or not. Marino only got to one SuperBowl (in his second year). His measure of "clutch" is not 100% complete. Surely, in the other games that he participated in, his "clutchness" cannot be questioned.

Is it his fault that the measure is incomplete? Of course not, we know he was only involved in 1/3 of the game... unlike other sports however... tennis, golf, basketball, soccer. Baseball and hockey, somewhat like football in that regard. Certainly more team oriented sports.

17. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think the thing with lebron is when his shot is dropping he is as dangerous a player as you'll find. however when his shot isnt dropping he gives up and avoids trying to work out of it. great players work through their slumps. in basketball its usually by driving and getting to the line which wade and nowitzki were able to do when they were having trouble from outside. they force the points. with lebron, when the game isnt going his way he prefers to fade into the background

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    When Lebron's shot isn't falling he resorts to his best offensive skill which is as a passer. However, in today's "scoring is all that matters" myopia, that means he's shrinking. LOL. In reality he is working through it just like any great player just with a skill set that most fans and media don't recognize or value as much. As he continues to develop, I would guess that he'll develop a more diverse post-up game. He'll probably never be able to drive like a Wade does just b/c quickness isn't where he's elite. But he does have elite size for a ball handler. He'll have to get his points more like Magic did. When his post game develops then he'll be better able to draw fouls. But right now the smarter basketball decision is to be a facilitator first.

Anonymous and Desides like this.
  19. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    With all due respect this is a load of bull, first off we are talking about someone with a 28 point career average, not someone who scores half that, so when he continually comes up empty in the 4th quarter his apologists need to stop suggesting that he is not a scorer, he is, always has been. And what makes him great is not only is he a great scorer but a passer, rebounder and defender as well. And second off what also needs to cease is the thought that those who criticize him for his shortcoming don't know his game so they don't know what they are talking about, that's borderline insulting.

Clipse, alen1, Paul 13 and 1 other person like this.
  20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thats fine if you're mike miller but unacceptable if you're supposed to be the centerpiece on your team. you dont pass up one ones against jason kidd for outside jumpers or passes. you drive to the hoop. Then again if lebron could finish, his girlfriend wouldn't need rashard lewis.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Paul 13 likes this.
  21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ^ :lol:

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    rofl!

23. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Things like 'The decision' are what have really set him up for all of this. People will be wanting him to fail for the rest of his career.

24. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So basically, people will hate LeBron for something that ESPN concocted, and will turn to ESPN for the latest in LeBron hate. Man, what a racket. :lol:

While on this topic, a nice article in the LA Times (that’ll be the last time I say that…) about Heat hate:

25. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Don't lump me in there, I don't hate the Heat. Do I want my team to beat them sure, but thats everyone else anyway. I've stated my piece, but I don't have to hate him/them to say what I've said.

26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hey, if your problem with LeBron stems from The Decision, then your ire should be directed at ESPN for conceiving it.

27. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I have a problem with LeBron? Really?

What exactly is my problem with LeBron? I'd love to know what it is.

28. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I've never implied anyone's performance rises or falls. That conversation is obviously from someone else. What I've said is pretty simple. If you can find something to actually attribute this position to me, then by all means go ahead, but outside of that this has nothing to do with me.

I've only associated clutch with winning titles. Thats what I've said. That has nothing to do with being fundamentally tied into a player's performance rising or falling. That player can be clutch without raising his game, he can do the exact same things as before, but he can them on the biggest stage.

You can associate rings with individual performance. Their performance was included in the team's performance wasn't it? On every team there are indiviual accomplishments that occur, some help teams, some hurt, but they do exist and readily recognized through an MVP award for instance. That doesn't always go to the best player on a team, it goes to the guy who likely made the biggest contribution to the team winning the game/championship etc.

Those players stepped and made plays, and no that doesn't have to mean their performance was raised in any way, only that their performance occurred at a moment when the end result is/was more important; such as a championship. A guy could average 12 points a game, but if he gets those 12 points every time his team is trailing and his points help them take the lead then to me thats clutch, and his performance didn't chance, the moment it happened in did however.

29. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yes.

You're acting like ESPN put a gun to his head. Come on. Who gives a crap whose idea it was? It happened and it was obnoxious, to say the least.

adamprez2003 and alen1 like this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If a player's performance doesn't change when he is playing for a title then the only thing that determines whether he wins or not is how good his team is or if he was lucky enough to be in the situation. You're basically saying "clutch" = "lucky".

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I said before the season that Lebron was more of a Magic Johnson type player and that he should be more of a facilitator and less of a scorer. Pat Riley said the same thing to Lebron before the season. So now that Lebron puts up Magic type numbers (Magic career playoff avgs 19.5 pts, 12.5 ast 7.7 reb 1.9 stl .3 blks vs Lebron in finals 17.2 pts 7.0 ast 7.8 reb 1.8 stl .4 blks) I'm an apologist?

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If the player's performance doesn't change then being "clutch" = just being lucky enough to be playing for a championship?

33. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Clutch is just being at the right place at the right time.

Robert Horry would like to differ.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Horry shot 42.5% for his career and 42.6% in the playoffs.

35. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Too bad LeBron James isn't much of a facilitator on the half-court offense.

36. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    The criticism on Lebron in these finals is his disappearance in the 4th quarter and sorry that's nothing like Magic, not to mention is not even close to Magic's assist average and is not even a full assist more than his own career average.

And I saw Magic play and there is nothing in Lebron's game that even hints Magic. Lebron needs to be Lebron, no one else, for them to win.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would disagree. He isn't on the level of a Magic there but he makes very good passing decisions and passes the ball very well. And it's not an isolated opinion as I've heard at least a few of the announcers call him the best passing forward ever. Most people have the debate about whether James or Bird are best. Either way, he is a very good passer.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I just don't agree that he's disappearing. He had something like 4 assists in the last game in the fourth qtr. That's not disappearing unless all you care about is if he's scoring.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    And if you really did watch Magic and you haven't forgotten that he also had bad games you should recall that in the finals against Boston he had a game where he was 5 of 14 and had 7 TOs. I remember two of those being in the final 2 minutes. McHale was even calling him "Tragic" Johnson at one point and and Riley was defending him b/c people were saying Magic had to prove himself as a winner and this was after he already had a championship! Fans romanticize past players but many of the great ones struggle and get criticized during their careers just like James is facing now.

Anonymous likes this.
  40. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    No, you're saying that.

Its doubtful that the team and or the player got to that position by being lucky, I'd prefer to give the guys playing some credit for doing something to get there rather than just saying that collectively they're just lucky.