1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good trades - bad trades.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Aquafin, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I was thinking about trades yesterday and I am left wondering about some of our trades ,for example , which trades were horrible or which ones were good trades.

If I am not mistaken we traded Ogunleye to Chicago for Wide Receiver Marty Booker because Ogunleye salary was getting expensive and we needed a wr my question is , was that trade a bad trade or not . I did not like that trade at all but what other choice did we have ?

I would rather have traded J.T. if that could of been a option. I know that trade made more sense then trading for QB A.J. Feeley .

So who around here was happy about that move ? I understood why we did that but was that move avoidable ?

heck I guess Ogunleye must be retired now because I never her his name mentioned .

here are some good trades which may be the hall mark of Don Shula's career .

1978 Miami traded WR Freddie Solomon , Safety Vern Roberson and a first and fifth round pick for RB Delvin Williams which seems like a lot to give up for a rb , is there any story behine that trade ?

the Ricky Williams trade was one of the biggest trades in dolphin history . I lost the paper where it said how much we gave up for Ricky Williams. does anyone know how much we gave up for him because there was some other runingback we were looking at back then and the Panthers or the Buccs had a back who we considered but their names escapes me.

part of my research has showed me that some of our worst moves was due to a couple of trades but Trading for Ricky was a great move except for his weed hoping experience .

anyone else got any stories or trades that made you jump for joy or ones that made you want to punch a hole in the wall ?

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Trading Randall "Thrill" Hill to Arizona for their first round pick (top 10, IRRC #7 overall, which we used to select Troy Vincent)... that was one of the best trades we ever made. HIll was a bust, and we traded him just in time after his rookie year IIRC.

We acquired linebacker Hugh Green from Tampa Bay in 1985... we gave up a first and a second to get him. We probably didn't get the mileage we were hoping for out of that trade, but our defense in the mid 80's was horrid and he really provided a spark for the time he was here.

We got pretty good mileage out of Marty Booker in that trade with Chicago. We couldn't afford to keep Ogun.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Easy one: Spielman trades a 3rd rounder for Lamar-friggin-Gordon.

4. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    AJ Feeley for a 2nd rounder.

5. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Wait....You would have rather traded Jason Taylor than Ogunleye???

6. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    IIRC we traded 2 first round picks for Ricky. I loved Ricky but that is simply too much for a running back. Given that New Orleans traded almost their entire draft for him to begin with, Ricky has to go down in NFL history as the player who was traded for the most value overall.

I know people like to dump on Ireland but trading a 4th rounder for Fasano and a back-up LB (whose name escapes me) was a pretty good deal.

All time great trades include a 3rd rounder for Warfield or a bunch of back-ups and a 5th for Buoniconti

7. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    We gave up a 6th round pick for Fasano and Jason Ferguson that I thought was really good.

While we didn't get a ton, the trade we made giving up Davone Bess looks like it was perfect as of now.

8. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Akin Ayodele came with Fasano

9. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yup. For a 4th. Ferguson was for a 7th I believe.

10. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Warfield was for the 3rd pick in the draft, not a 3rd round pick.

11. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Mack Lamb for Larry Little was one of, if not the biggest, steals in Dolphin history

dolfndav34, DPlus47 and Sceeto like this.
  12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Brandon Marshall for 2 3rds was very dumb. Feely, Culpepper...take your pick.

Sceeto likes this.
  13. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    One that didnt last but it was good for two years was getting Reggie Bush for a 6 or 7 I believe. He did really good his first year, and it was for a very late pick

14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Hugh Green trade would have been fine if he hadn't got hurt in a car accident not long after that. His first few games with Miami were stellar. When he came back after recovering from the car accident he was a shell of his former self.

PhinGeneral and DPlus47 like this.
  15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Trading Billy Milner for Troy Drayton helped recover some value from a HORRIBLE first round pick. One that I went more into an insane rage over than any pick we ever made.

DPlus47 likes this.
  16. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Jason Taylor for a 2nd to the Washington Redskins. Then he came back the year after.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008

Did you just say you would of rather have traded Jason Taylor than Ogun? Ogun was an average DE who benefited from playing alongside JT. That same Jt who went on to have 3 more 10+ sack seasons and a DPOY award w/Miami before being traded to Washington. What an awful, awful idea.

18. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    yea per that was the second worst trade in my book , the first was trading for A.J. Feeley and I blame Rick for that mess.

19. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    no not really but Jason if you remember was going dancing amd he wasn't focusing on football but that was during the Tuna's regime. so If I was pressed to chose I may have to say I would take Onguleye over Taylor.

20. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house

so that was the story with Hugh Green . I wondered what was the deal with him.

21. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That would have been a great trade if the Dolphins had made something of it. Instead they pissed it away on Pat White.

22. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That makes little sense. O-Gun was a good player, but he was no Jason Taylor. The fact that a number of years later Jason Taylor went on Dancing with the Stars doesn't diminish what Taylor accomplished in that time period.